dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
5/28/11 8:30 a.m.

Check out the attached story- Guy has his truck, trailer and C2 stolen from in front of his house the day before a track day. The truck and trailer were recovered, and the Porsche was spotted several times before eventually being recovered.

It's going to get us all!!

Including the headline at the beginning of the video, I counted the word "Dangerous" used to describe the car 6 times, and the phrase "Not street legal" used by everyone in the clip. One of this station's anchors, Adele Arakawa, is very active in PCA events. I hope she walked down the hall and smacked a smacked someone over this.

paul
paul Reader
5/28/11 8:37 a.m.

seems like they overemphasized the terms in an oddball attempt to psych out the thieves into thinking the car will fly off the road at any moment and/or the legal issues with trying to reg the car...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/28/11 8:42 a.m.

So is this thing dangerous or what?

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
5/28/11 8:47 a.m.

Remember this story the next time you're tempted to believe something in the media.

redrabbit
redrabbit New Reader
5/28/11 9:22 a.m.

How do you say Christene in german?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
5/28/11 10:21 a.m.

To play devil's advocate, a race car being driven by untrained idiot thieves on public roads is quite dangerous. Heck, racing and race cars are dangerous. If they weren't, we wouldn't need helmets and fire suits. It is a potentially dangerous tool being operated by people who do not respect it.

The owner very aptly likened it to "a sharp cutting tool" that is going to hurt people if operated by someone who does not respect it and understand how to use it properly.

Race cars don't kill people. Idiots in race cars kill people.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
5/28/11 11:24 a.m.

I found it interesting where the cops were talking about not being able to chase the car. Is this a normal thing these days? I can remember cops chasing down cars (even those that could qualify as a race car) in the past and even had special units setup for such events.

Have liability issues made the high speed chase a thing of the past? And what happened to the old you can't out run a radio? Couldn't they get cars inupahead of the theives and block the road or something?

kpm
kpm Reader
5/28/11 12:21 p.m.

"Slick tires with no tread...very dangerous !!"

N.S.D.T.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/28/11 12:23 p.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

In our community they are supposed to call off the chase if it gets too dangerous.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
5/28/11 1:48 p.m.

That article doesnt even make sense at all.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
5/28/11 2:16 p.m.

When my truck/enclosed trailer with 66 Mustang inside and loaded with with tools was stolen in Atlanta a few years ago the policeman who arrived wouldn't even file a report. He actually accused me of making up a story about the theft and drove away leaving me standing in a parking lot. He wouldn't even look at the security tape (Publix supermarket) showing the criminals breaking into the truck and driving away with it!

The guy who owned the rig and P car should consider himself very lucky to get any help trying to locate his stuff. It's been my experience that unless there's physical injury or a weapon involved in any theft case the police do very little after taking a report in cases like this. "I'm sorry for your loss, here's your case number".

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
5/28/11 3:14 p.m.

Don't most state Patrols have "High Pursuit" cars? I have a friend in the Illinois State Police that has an unmarked '03 Mach 1 that he uses for high speed chases for situations like this.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
5/28/11 10:53 p.m.

man that sucks he ride is stolen and everything else...and not even getting the chance to drive it once..that really bites....good luck to the dude for getting anywhere with it....a-holes these days....

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
5/29/11 12:18 a.m.

Wait, wait, I got it...

Because Racecar!

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
5/29/11 4:03 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to rebelgtp: In our community they are supposed to call off the chase if it gets too dangerous.

That seems like a strong incentive to get it too dangerous. They should say that dangerous car chases are called off... so that the snipers in helicopters can be given more room.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R3ZZzreLSb9jFXjCqYeum4Lbzxz5J6bqacqc584695BNb09tWI3pKClc3lKww1um