1 2 3 4
Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/10/20 7:37 p.m.

Dont make laws that criminalize things people want to do that dont hurt other people. Killing people is already maximally illegal. It's legal to buy full auto stuff, just stupidly expensive cause it has to be grandfathered in and the demand exceeds the supply. Make drugs and prostitution legal too. Organized grime would be over. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/10/20 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Carbon (Forum Supporter) :

So can I have some nukes if I promise not to hurt people with them?

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/10/20 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie :

There is no recreational usage for a nuke. But full auto makes everyone giggle like a schoolgirl that plays with it. Full auto is also considered by the professionals to be far Less effective at killing people. Military doesnt use full auto for anything aside from suppressive fire. Sp if it's less effective at killing, And it's hilarious, let people have their fun. It's not hard to convert stuff and yet fullauto gets used in like 0% of murders so....

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/10/20 8:07 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I don't think so, just because silencers are legal at a federal level and these are not.  I could be wrong though, I'm not 100% familiar with any of the cases you're referencing.

They're legal with a tax stamp in most states (sorry CA) and very illegal without. 

But they are still tough to get, not cheap and takes over a year to get the permit.  

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/10/20 8:09 p.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Snowdoggie :

There is no recreational usage for a nuke. But full auto makes everyone giggle like a schoolgirl that plays with it. Full auto is also considered by the professionals to be far Less effective at killing people. Military doesnt use full auto for anything aside from suppressive fire. Sp if it's less effective at killing, And it's hilarious, let people have their fun. It's not hard to convert stuff and yet fullauto gets used in like 0% of murders so....

BullE36 M3. Hunting coyotes with nukes in desert bombing ranges is a blast. Blowing up uninhabited islands and watching the resulting mushroom cloud from a distance is a lot of laughs if you can afford it.

Who are YOU to decide what I can do for fun if I don't hurt anybody?

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
11/10/20 8:28 p.m.

There's so many methods on how to do this at home with basic E36 M3 it's crazy. If people want to convert them they will. I've shot full auto firearms and while it's fun, it's a huge waste of ammo 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/10/20 8:32 p.m.

I have little to add except I wish silencers were easy to get because I hate wearing ear protection.

Silencers for all!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/10/20 8:47 p.m.

full auto (called spray and pray!) does not commit crimes!

”always from the shoulder; always single shot”

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/10/20 9:01 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I have little to add except I wish silencers were easy to get because I hate wearing ear protection.

Silencers for all!

that right there is reason enough to have a silencer.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/10/20 9:28 p.m.

So many firearm laws don't make sense. At least there are plenty I can't understand the reasoning behind. I just assumed most were written by uninformed politicians trying to appear like they're trying to solve a problem. 

The silencer rules don't make any sense. Does anyone know if there is a legitimate reason why they are nearly illegal? (Yes I know they can be legally obtained, but the hoops one has to jump through are a bit silly)

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/10/20 9:33 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Apparently people have watched too much TV and silencer ownership means you can be a silent assassin?

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/10/20 9:37 p.m.

Most of the world is okay with silencers, even places that are not okay with guns. Our laws for silencers went in in 1934, IIRC. They were written to help combat the big gangsters. Al Capone was nabbed for evading NFA tax stamps, not income taxes.

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/10/20 9:50 p.m.

Ah. Outdated nonsense. Most likely propagated by silly movies and ignorant news media.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
11/10/20 9:51 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Treasury agents had been gathering evidence that Capone had failed to pay his income taxes. Capone was convicted, and on October 24, 1931, was sentenced to 11 years in prison.

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/news/stories/2005/march/capone_032805 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/10/20 10:02 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

Interesting. Thank you for the correction. It looks like I have some reading to do.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
11/10/20 10:04 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

I don't know that this is factual but my understanding is that in some European countries, suppressors are mandated for hunting guns.  Because Hearing Protection & Noise Abatement

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/10/20 10:15 p.m.

To the question asked though, as far as combatting things like this (3D printed illegal mods) I'm not sure much can really be done. If the guy hadn't been marketing his wares so blatantly he would have likely just kept selling the illegal parts for years with no retribution at all. Guaranteed the dude knew it was illegal, so he obviously didn't care about breaking the law. A new law wouldn't change that. 

My gun is not able to accept an auto sear. It would require machining the lower in ways I'm not familiar with. I imagine most ARs are the same.

So the guy knowingly manufactured and sold illegal parts to folks who (we can safely assume) knew that the parts they were buying were illegal. I'm betting most of them would have found another way to make the illegal mods without this dudes help. 

Are all the folks he sold to being prosecuted? Serious q. 

Also, I think it wouldn't hurt a thing to allow the public to have full auto .22. Its a hoot. And even I could afford that once in a while. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/10/20 10:20 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Are all the folks he sold to being prosecuted? Serious q. 

I'm guessing this guy didn't keep detailed records with names and addresses of the people who bought them, so they may be hard to track down.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/11/20 9:08 a.m.

Apparently people have watched too much TV and silencer ownership means you can be a silent assassin?

This. ^^

Just this week I was watching an ad on TV where it showed a slow-mo animation of a handgun being fired, and the entire cartridge, brass and all, emerged from the muzzle amidst a big plume of black smoke.  Full disclosure... I'm a hard-left-leaning kinda guy who owns a bunch of guns because I hunt and I like collecting firearms, but this kind of ignorance will never win.

On the one side there are gun hoarders who "need 50 AR-15s in case they have to overthrow the gubmint," and on the other side there are morons who think that silencers make all firearms sound like a nerf gun, or a shorter stock and barrel "assault rifle" caused a psychopath to commit a mass shooting.  In the middle, there are people with widely varying interpretations of the law.  If you're caught in the rural midwest with a full-auto, the cop might give you a high-five and ask to go shooting after his shift.  In NYC, you might get 40 years in prison.

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
11/11/20 10:16 a.m.

Laws don't affect people willing to ignore them. 

Never have. Never will. 

Edit to add:

I could probably cobble together a fully automatic weapon out of the scrap and tools in my shop in a couple of days. My 3d printer isn't in my shop. Add it, my computer, and some internet access to the mix and it would probably be much faster, depending on print times. 

Edit again: I may know someone that built a silencer out of a 16 oz soda bottle and used it to hunt rats at home. I've heard that a little duct tape, a soda bottle, a .22 and a handful of CB shorts make a almost silent rat gun. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
11/11/20 10:49 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

On the one side there are gun hoarders who "need 50 AR-15s in case they have to overthrow the gubmint..."

Hopefully I can make do with 6 or 7, E36 M3s getting too expensive to have 50. laugh

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/11/20 10:55 a.m.

and if I get a Walther PPK that would make me James Bond? 

At least those are legal. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
11/11/20 11:16 a.m.
Snowdoggie said:

The PPK/S only exists because of another asinine and arbitrary gun law(s) the '68 Gun Control Act.  The PPK/S is just slightly larger and heavier than the PPK, to get above the weight and size limit some legislatures pulled out of their ass.  It's also why PPK production moved state side, to get around the foreign import ban.  Pre '68 PPKs are worth big bucks.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
11/11/20 11:29 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:
Snowdoggie said:

The PPK/S only exists because of another asinine and arbitrary gun law(s) the '68 Gun Control Act.  The PPK/S is just slightly larger and heavier than the PPK, to get above the weight and size limit some legislatures pulled out of their ass.  It's also why PPK production moved state side, to get around the foreign import ban.  Pre '68 PPKs are worth big bucks.

Kind of like early 60s Aston Martins. 

Why do they have weight and size limits? What about those little Derringers that girls keep in their purses? 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
11/11/20 11:42 a.m.
Snowdoggie said:

Why do they have weight and size limits? What about those little Derringers that girls keep in their purses? 

Right!  Why, indeed.

The limits only apply to imported pistols, so all of the domestically manufactured Derringers are legal.  Also why Interarms and Smith & Wesson were licensed to manufacture the PPK domestically.  After a few year hiatus, Umarex/Walther is currently making them in Ft. Smith Arkansas, so they're still a domestic product, avoiding the import regulations.

I own a mid '80s Interarms stainless PPK/S and as an Arkansas native, Walther and Bond fan, I really want a Ft. Smith 1st edition PPK/S.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tws0SIr3aUkkvVtqN20CSiM0A6p71morK5sEcu5Rt4oeosakaVJBQH6gSZRL3AnP