NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/7/22 9:02 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Fleets seem to want EV trucks for the same reasons that airliners jumped to jets vs. piston engined planes.  Reduced downtime and maintenance costs.

Same reason a lot of fleets dumped diesel pickup trucks for gas. New diesels have have too much of a premium, too much too go wrong, and cost too much and take too long to fix.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/8/22 8:11 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Duke :

Prince was one of the few people on Earth who could actually get away with doing whatever the hell he wanted.  Wednesday at 10:35 AM and he wants to dress like Neil Diamond? Sure. Who's going to stop him?

That seems to be an accurate assessment. Wasn't one of the anecdotes about Prince something about him phoning his producer in the wee hours to request he procure a camel?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/8/22 8:26 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Duke :

Prince was one of the few people on Earth who could actually get away with doing whatever the hell he wanted.  Wednesday at 10:35 AM and he wants to dress like Neil Diamond? Sure. Who's going to stop him?

Except he couldn't wear a whole shirt. No shirt. Half a shirt. Then he'd jump strait to a shirt-and-a-half.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/8/22 8:32 a.m.

The Chinese invented playing cards in AD 1000.

Some interesting facts and observations about "Playing cards":

Did you know that the Traditional Deck of the Playing Cards are a strikingly coherent form of a Calendar?

There are 52 weeks in the year and there are 52 Playing Cards in a Deck.
There are 13 weeks in each Season and there are 13 cards in each suit.
There are 4 Seasons in a Year and 4 Suits in the Deck.
There are 12 Months in a Year so there are 12 Court Cards (Those with faces namely Jack, Queen, King in each suit)The Red Cards represent Day, while Black Cards represent the Night.

If you let Jacks = 11, Queens = 12, and the Kings = 13, then add up all the sums of 1 + 2 + 3 + …to 13 = 91. Multiply this by 4, for the 4 Suits, therefore 91 x 4 = 364, Add 1 that is the Joker and you will arrive at the number 365 being the Days in a Year?

Is that a mere coincidence or a greater intelligence?

Of interest is the sum of the letters in all the names of the cards, e.g., add up the letters in one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, Jack, Queen, King" = 52!

The Spades indicate plowing or working.
The Hearts indicates Love thy crops.
The Clubs indicates flourishing and growth.
The Diamonds indicate reaping the wealth.
Also, in some card games 2 Jokers are used; Indicating the Leap year.

There is a deeper Philosophy than just merely Playing Cards.
The Mathematical perfection is mind blowing.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/8/22 8:37 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

...as long as you are speaking and writing in modern English.

I also don't understand how the cards equal the number of days but half the cards are nights.  Some nights don't count I guess.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/8/22 9:53 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Duke :

Prince was one of the few people on Earth who could actually get away with doing whatever the hell he wanted.

Well, not really.

When I heard he'd died, I had to look him up to see who he was and what he did. I knew he was a musician, but I didn't know any more than that.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/9/22 8:32 a.m.

'"...Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions." He smiled. "It's the only way to make progress..."

Terry Pratchett, The Truth, spoken by Lord Vertinari.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/9/22 4:21 p.m.

The song "country roads" by John Denver. A touching ode to....the place he called home. looks idyllic, right? You're probably even thinking about that song in your head, humming the melody, or even singing the lyrics, if you know them. 

Now imagine that song, coupled with this image. Add one more thing. 

Add an air raid siren/tornado siren. Sort of changes the entire tone of the song and tells a WHOLLY different story. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/10/22 1:21 p.m.

Depending on placement, any amount of stab wounds can be a lifetime supply. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/11/22 12:26 p.m.

We're all about body positivity. We've got thicc female mannequins, double skinny ones, kids in chairs, all that. Why does every single guy mannequin have to be buff as E36 M3? I don't exactly have a 6 pack. Most men don't. Why aren't we included too? 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/11/22 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

"I don't have abs, I have ab"

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/13/22 3:38 p.m.

In the US we walk to the right of others walking towards us. Does that mean in England they walk to the left?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/16/22 10:03 a.m.

Maybe it's just that I never noticed watching it as a kid, but did the Dukes of Hazzard TV show ever show them running moonshine, or was it just implied?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/16/22 10:28 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

They were on probation for it but I don't remember seeing them do it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/16/22 11:07 a.m.

They did. Sorta. The episode "High Octane" has the Dukes whip up a batch for an alternative fuel contest. I remember it because they use Uncle Jessie's old black Ford 500 shine runner to haul it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/16/22 11:11 a.m.
Stampie said:

In the US we walk to the right of others walking towards us. Does that mean in England they walk to the left?

Actually, yes. Yes they do. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/16/22 11:18 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Maybe it's just that I never noticed watching it as a kid, but did the Dukes of Hazzard TV show ever show them running moonshine, or was it just implied?

Uncle Jesse brewed up a batch in one episode for some special reason/was strong-armed into it.

They had Super 8 footage of Jesse and Boss Hogg running shine from back in the day.  Amazing how they went from hood mounted camera to exterior shots, almost like it was TV footage in black and white with a grain filter!

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/17/22 4:37 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:

As well as British islands...

Ever wonder what's wrong with everybody then realize it's you?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/17/22 9:28 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:
Stampie said:

Are British mail trucks left hand drive?

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/17/22 11:48 p.m.

It's been slow. Bad weather. I got to work tonight ...and put on pajamas.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/24/22 7:11 p.m.

How did the cops have any idea there were women in the Lamborghini?  It was flying and the windows are pretty much just slits. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/24/22 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

They read the script.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/24/22 8:30 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:
Stampie said:

And yet, we’ve rented a small Boston Whaler a couple of times on trips to Bermuda. Everyone passes port to port / stays to the right side of the channel on the water where on land it’s driving on the left properly British.   (The boat rental if you’re so inclined is a great way to see parts of the island you’d never otherwise see, particularly all the cool little islands in Great Sound, do recommend!). 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/22 5:49 p.m.

If you took off in a spaceship and traveled at the speed of light in one direction for 45.6 billion years, you will have just reached the edge of the known universe.  That 45.6 billion years, for reference, is over 10 times longer than the age of the earth.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/26/22 7:03 p.m.

Observations from the middle school basketball game:

Nobody is afraid to shoot a three pointer. Ever.

Everybody is afraid to make a bounce pass.

Jack's new step-mom is super hot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jdGVha68tOp3FSLcaepW2pmNPXClz0adV1RQDd6svKdLlwZ3gH8p21ZT2aVL5dNq