Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/21/23 1:16 p.m.

Just finished nine ASE recerts.

Man, Technician B is all ate up with the dumb-ass. He was right a few times but I think the test writers have it out for him.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/21/23 1:27 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Just finished nine ASE recerts.

Man, Technician B is all ate up with the dumb-ass. He was right a few times but I think the test writers have it out for him.

Guy in our training department just got World Class, he explained it to me but it seemed like someone who goes to school to collect degrees. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/21/23 1:29 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Is that where you have every certification possible?  There's something like 140 or 150...

I will be happy to finally bother to get my L1-L3 sometime this year.  L4 is ADAS which I don't see myself ever needing or being able to use since even dealerships farm out ADAS stuff.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/21/23 1:34 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to chandler :

Is that where you have every certification possible?  There's something like 140 or 150...

I will be happy to finally bother to get my L1-L3 sometime this year.  L4 is ADAS which I don't see myself ever needing or being able to use since even dealerships farm out ADAS stuff.

World class is the general 22 certs, the guy who heads training has EVERY ASE and he said there were 50 or so that have them all and keep them current. It's crazy how much goes into keeping them current.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/21/23 1:38 p.m.
Peabody said:

Towmotor as a company, or brand name,  has not existed since the early 70's. Yet people, including my 25yr old apprentice, still refer to forklifts exclusively as towmotors. 

That must be an eastern thing.  I've never heard that out here.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/21/23 2:29 p.m.
Peabody said:

Towmotor as a company, or brand name,  has not existed since the early 70's. Yet people, including my 25yr old apprentice, still refer to forklifts exclusively as towmotors. 

You drive a forklift, you walk behind a towmotor.

IME

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/21/23 2:45 p.m.

The man who makes a truly indestructible T30 Torx will be my hero.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/21/23 2:46 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I refuse to use an impact on them when removing GM rotor screws.

Lisle used to make good ones that did not shatter like the gray steel ones do.  But they wear.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/21/23 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
1/21/23 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Not so much anymore, but It used to be very common like Kleenex, or channellock's

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/21/23 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I tend to heat the rotor screw until it's cherry red and then use my T30 on a ratchet. I've also just settled on using the Pittsburgh ones. The Snap-On/Matco/Mac ones aren't discernable stronger, plus then you have to wait for the dealer to show up, then wait a week for him to get your replacement. Harbor Freight is less than a mile from work, so I can drive there on lunch and get free replacements. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
2/25/23 3:52 p.m.

Like the shot clock, places where you have to order at a counter should have an order clock. 30 seconds per person should be enough.

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
2/25/23 4:40 p.m.

When you drive a Rolls Royce you're looking up The Spirit of Ecstasy's skirt.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/26/23 7:19 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I wonder what the origin of the phrase soaking the time clock is. Cuz if you think about the act of soaking something and apply it to a Time clock it makes absolutely no sense. And I have spent the last 20 minutes thinking about this.

Isn't  that the same as milking the clock? When an hourly person drags his feet on a job so he can get some overtime pay

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/26/23 7:25 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Nobody driving for a company getting paid by the hour should ever do more than the posted speed limit. 55mph means 55mph.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/26/23 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I used to get questioned (with implied guilt) by a supervisor why it took as long as it did to drive to/from a survey jobsite. I replied YOU are not paying for my ticket, YOU are not paying for higher insurance premiums, YOU are not paying for a lawyer,  and YOU are not paying for lost wages due to court appearances.  And that was that.

This is from a guy with well over 100 tickets, and 2 destroyed work vehicles due to speeding.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/27/23 12:21 a.m.

So "soaking the time clock" has to do with driving for a paycheck? "Milking the clock" had to do with factory/machine shop employment in my book.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/23/23 5:25 p.m.

I had business in Toronto yesterday and while there we went out for dinner.

The minute we walked in I looked at one of the girls working there as she looked at me. There was something, a familiarity, something, I'm not sure what it was. Every time I looked up she was looking at me, like we knew each other, and she was expecting me to say something. She was not difficult to look at, different, my style for sure, not something everybody would like, probably mid 20's, and in Toronto. There's no reason for me to think we knew each other, but there was something. As we were leaving she looked at me again, like she was waiting for me to say something.

The whole thing was strange and I thought about it all day yesterday.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
3/23/23 6:51 p.m.
APEowner said:

And when you drive a Mack you're looking up a bulldog's butt.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
3/23/23 11:03 p.m.
Peabody said:

I had business in Toronto yesterday and while there we went out for dinner.

The minute we walked in I looked at one of the girls working there as she looked at me. There was something, a familiarity, something, I'm not sure what it was. Every time I looked up she was looking at me, like we knew each other, and she was expecting me to say something. She was not difficult to look at, different, my style for sure, not something everybody would like, probably mid 20's, and in Toronto. There's no reason for me to think we knew each other, but there was something. As we were leaving she looked at me again, like she was waiting for me to say something.

The whole thing was strange and I thought about it all day yesterday.

And let me guess, after you walked out the door you thought " I should have asked her if you know me." But you didn't turn around and did it.

I have had that happen in the past at a State Fair. She kept looking at me but I did not know her. I briefly thought she was an old neighbor from when I was a kid, but as I looked she wasn't her. After a bit she just walked away with her significant other. She never smiled when I looked back at her either.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/24/23 7:10 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Assuming you were there with PW, you probably made the right choice.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/25/23 10:08 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Yes I should have said something, it would have put my mind at ease. 

In reply to Duke :

Nah, I told her about it, she thought it was funny.   We have a little different  relationship. 

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
3/25/23 11:37 a.m.
RichardNZ said:
APEowner said:

And when you drive a Mack you're looking up a bulldog's butt.

True!  I don't know what it says about me that I never thought about that when I drove a Mack but it was one if the first things I noticed when driving a Rolls.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/31/23 11:24 a.m.

Say what you will about the evils of Adolf Hitler, but he was the guy who finally killed Hitler.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/13/23 9:20 p.m.

If deuterium is a naturally occuring isotope of hydrogen, and deuterated water (D2O) is also naturally occurring enough that it can be collected by extracting it from water, and it is heavier than H2O...

...might there be pools of D2O at the bottom of the oceans?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MVCXQCBfIU6GvqUzFNnG8vH72h0yKU4Q2JTKtuaF4ZxXGx7FBcDOn6mQtNowGUpK