1 2
Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/12/18 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

That is the one that angers me the most.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/12/18 1:36 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Ian F said:

In reply to Duke :

Yeah... all of the "theories" about how there is no way burning jet fuel gets hot enough to melt steel is another one...  well.. if you can't understand basic thermodynamics, I can't help you... 

Worse- steel does not have to melt to lose enough strength to fail.  Just has to get past a point where it was heat treated to be that strong.

Burning jet fuel is way hot enough to change metal properties.

Yep.  The easiest way to demonstrate what happened would be to balance a plate on some plastic straws. Then take a hair drier and on the low setting, blow warm air over the straws.  The straws won't melt, but they will eventually weaken and the plate will fall.  After that, gravity takes over.  Which is also why the towers fell straight down.

Now if the hijackers had managed to hit the towers a lot closer to the ground the way they fell may have been different.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/12/18 6:19 p.m.

I just want the Kennedy assassination files unsealed.  

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/12/18 6:28 p.m.

I try to ignore it anymore.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
9/12/18 6:39 p.m.

I had a fellow car guy tell me that burning fuel couldn't affect metal or engines would melt. I agreed with him and suggested we drain his coolant to prove his point. He declined.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/12/18 6:48 p.m.
xflowgolf said:

I find it interestingly frustrating in the timing of the event having occurred just before the internet was really universally used, yet close enough that anyone with an opinion was able to vomit their theory into the void of internet space within the few years after that followed.  The iphone was till 5 years away, YouTube and Facebook didn't exist yet, and Google had just begun to surpass AltaVista in popularity, etc.  

As a result, the majority of the content on YouTube today related to 9/11 seems to be predominantly related to the conspiracy aspect of it as all the videos were made after the fact.  Very few people had DVR's/Tivo during the live feeds.  Now YouTube is hardly the gold standard for research, but as a parent, my son is now in 4th grade, and I consider him to be part of a YouTube generation.  YouTube and Google are the first go to when curious about just about anything.  

He had been asking me about 9/11, so we decided to do some YouTube searches to find some content or news feeds, etc.  I had to be like.. Nope.  Nope... eh.. not that one.  "the trutha bout" nope not that one... 

I was surprised how prevelant it was, and how dilligently I had to go out of my way to find legit content.  An unsupervised youth (and many of them are) wouldn't really understand how much fake/derived content they're being delivered.  

Oh wow. Never really thought of that. I’ve got a VHS tape in a box somewhere. Felt weird to tape the coverage, but it was a “who knows what our grandkids will be taught about this?” kind of thing.

Also: A customer yesterday pointed out “Kids in high school weren’t born yet” which was a “wow” moment.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/12/18 6:52 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

This year’s college freshmen were born in 2000. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/12/18 7:02 p.m.

Most of the kids I teach can't tell good content from hokey content from an advertisement, and have zero idea how to search or refine their search (even after having JUST told them AND demonstrated with them watching on the big screen in class), so spend some good 1-on-1 time with your kid showing them how to find stuff and sort stuff on the 'net.

poopshovel again
9/12/18 7:09 p.m.
Woody said:

BullE36 M3! No one was born after 1980! I can prove it!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/12/18 8:30 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
Woody said:

BullE36 M3! No one was born after 1980! I can prove it!

My daughter was born in 2000 and on 9/11 I distinctly remember the guilt I felt thinking “What the berkeley kind of world did I bring her into?”

Turns out we got cat vids, so it’s all cool now. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/12/18 8:36 p.m.
Woody said:

I heard a factoid on the radio today that 25% of the population today was born after 9/11.

I'm a little surprised the conspiracy theories are still going around...I thought that all died out years ago,

poopshovel again
9/12/18 9:46 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
Woody said:

I heard a factoid on the radio today that 25% of the population today was born after 9/11.

I'm a little surprised the conspiracy theories are still going around...I thought that all died out years ago,

Damn. The “Population by year of age and gender” graph is kinda depressing :/

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/12/18 10:44 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
stuart in mn said:
Woody said:

Damn. The “Population by year of age and gender” graph is kinda depressing :/

Not to worry, guys.  We'll all be dead soon, and the youngsters can look after everything.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
9/12/18 11:14 p.m.
Woody said:

I'm in Sandy Hook almost every day. I have a zero tolerance policy for conspiracy theorists.

I'm right there with you.  I walked out of the WTC about a minute before the first plane flew into it, and witnessed the explosion from a few blocks away on Greenwich St.  We've lived in Sandy Hook/Newtown for the past 13 years, and I wish more than anything it didn't happen, but it did.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/13/18 7:23 a.m.

thank you everyone for re-affirming my belief in at least some of humanity

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/13/18 8:56 a.m.

my sister was at NYU at the time..  Saw a low plane fly over head and head some loud type noises..  Then I was living in CT at the time of Sandy Hook.  I was deep in the plant working, and didn't know what happened until one of the stewards asked for a moment of silent at an all hands meeting..  We all have stories that connect us to these horrible moments in life.  

I have no tolerance for these types of conspiracy nutters..  I have ended 10 year + relationships over these nutty ideas..  Crisis actors, CIA killed JFK, pedophile rings at pizza shops, Q..  None of this is worth your time.  If you feel the need to dream up consipracy theroies, You have too much time on your hand.  Please exit your house and volunteer at a soup kitchen.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
9/13/18 11:56 a.m.

It's sad to say that there is a conspiracy going on.  It is the one held by religious extremists, who have it in for anyone that doesn't believe in their ideology.

I too, lost some friends in the 911 attacks.  We were (NYDOS) at the St George Terminal assisting victims from the SI Ferry.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/13/18 1:03 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

pedophile rings at pizza shops,

I was astounded that anyone could believe that one was true - when I heard it, I figured it had to have been something made up by the Onion. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
9/13/18 1:30 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

The Qspiracy thing was one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while, and it's second only to the Pizzagate (god can we stop with -gate and -gazzi already) affair.

In the case of the Qspiracy people. If you're looking disseminate classified information to the public, you don't leave a "trail of breadcrumbs" hoping someone smart enough to catch on will come along and correctly interpret the information. You do what Daniel Ellsberg did (also a great interview if you have a few minutes to listen) so there's no questions about the legitimacy of the claims.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/13/18 2:16 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

Most of the kids I teach can't tell good content from hokey content from an advertisement, and have zero idea how to search or refine their search (even after having JUST told them AND demonstrated with them watching on the big screen in class), so spend some good 1-on-1 time with your kid showing them how to find stuff and sort stuff on the 'net.

And this is why we now have fake news trying to capture people with their spiel.    

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/13/18 3:09 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
My daughter was born in 2000 and on 9/11 I distinctly remember the guilt I felt thinking “What the berkeley kind of world did I bring her into?”

my first was born 3 months after 9/11 and I recall having exactly the same feeling.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/13/18 3:15 p.m.
jj said:

Conspiracies are a gateway drug. I had a friend who got pulled into to one, and now believes almost all of them. 

This is why education needs to focus on critical thinking and research. 

"Governments don’t want a population capable of critical thinking,they want obedient workers,people just smart enough to run the machines and just dumb enough to passively accept their situation."

-George Carlin

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/14/18 1:13 p.m.

Maybe I’m wrong:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QhXImfyiFgrDrWhO2z9gV0yLwEpHIXNbsCfoWYTVHgpjqMJulitaMkKlRyPgYFOn