1 2
Torkel
Torkel New Reader
9/14/18 12:26 p.m.

Craziest interview situations I've been thru:

Was interviewing for a Project Manager position at a Swedish company. Meet with 3 persons and (as I sometimes do, just to check) asked some of my questions to all 3. Was told I would have my own staff and that I would not have direct reports. That they are starting up a PMO and that they would not start a PMO and that I would be the only Project Manager. .That I would report to R&D. That I would report to Manufacturing. That I would report to PMD. I declined their offer and recommended that they align internally before they hire.

I was once interviewed by an HR person who just kept asking me "Is there anything else you want to tell me?", to absolutely no end. Just on and on. She must have said that sentence 30 times in as many minutes. When I said "No, I think that covers it all" she wrote down: "Covers all. Nothing more to say". Struggling to keep from laughing, I imagined how weaker men would crack and scream "Fine! I did it! It was meeee!", but not Torkel.

Some fantastic interview questions I got:

"Tell me 3 things you are ashamed of".

"If your old boss was here, what would he warn me about regarding you?"

"If you wanted to really scare the E36 M3 out of your team, how would you act?"

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/14/18 12:38 p.m.
Torkel said:

- Many miss the most obvious things when preparing to go to an interview. Like spending 10min with google to learn the most basic about the company in question.

I had an interview for a position that I was in theory qualified for, but in reality the posting was rather vague and I wasn't. It became pretty evident about 5 minutes into the interview that I wasn't the right fit for the role. But when I brought up the 10k, they thought I was the most amazing thing since sliced bread.

Seriously, it is so easy to take an hour (or less) to skim the 10k (if available, or other financials), the company website, the wikipedia page, and any recent news reports.  

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
9/14/18 6:19 p.m.

A reasonably well-run interview where the candidate meets a few different potential coworkers one-on-one is the only method I have found in 30 years of working that lowers the odds the new hire will fail from 90% to 50%. 

Like several others have said, the fit is the ultimate challenge. People are weird. It takes a lot of effort to build a good team.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ziZ9PDZ70U19VRgdoulbi7FxfmtNfG7usZM9JfSIxQSPH4d7WQlVrXkNzPmeEk1b