1 2 3 4
pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
12/17/09 2:14 p.m.

If you like gaudy, how about today's deal at InvictaShark ?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/17/09 2:25 p.m.
DukeofUndersteer said: Nixon watches have a couple models under $200, real quality watch too

I have had mine (a sub $100 Nixon Player) since my GF gave it to me for Valentines day of 2005. It is still on my wrist as I type, despite being lost at 16VCoreys house for like 4 months. (god only knows what HE did with it!). I have only changed the battery once.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
12/17/09 2:39 p.m.

I have been a Casio G-Shock fan since they came out. Had an original, but lost it. Have since had 5. The latest has solved the only problem I've ever had with them---replacing the batteries sucks. The new one is solar charged and also on the atomic clock. Retails for about $100. I got mine at Costco in Ohio last year for $30. Steal!

I also have a Heuer F1 for when I'm not trying to impress people with my GRMness

motomoron
motomoron Reader
12/17/09 2:39 p.m.

I'm hard on watches, as in I'll notice the attractive reflection the MIG arc casts across the face, or that I have to wipe a quarter inch thick layer of masonry dust off to read it while wielding a 9" angle grinder w/ a diamond blade demolishing my bathroom...

I wore a Seiko automatic "dive" watch for about 5 years like THIS ONE

Under $150 from overstock.com...

The past year and a half I've been wearing an Invicta made Rolex GMT Mariner clone...

THIS ONE

...These supposedly "retail" for a grand and are generally available for under $400. They use the same ETA automatic movement as the Rolex Submariner I've read. It's heavy, solid, all stainless, and has a crystal I've been unable to scratch, which is a first. Invicta also sells a few less expensive versions, but this one is the least expensive way to get into an ETA 2824 movement.

More info: http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12641

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/17/09 3:25 p.m.
motomoron wrote: I wore a Seiko automatic "dive" watch for about 5 years like THIS ONE Under $150 from overstock.com...

That's a deal for an automatic watch.

Dan G
Dan G Dork
12/17/09 3:46 p.m.
motomoron wrote: I wore a Seiko automatic "dive" watch for about 5 years like THIS ONE Under $150 from overstock.com...

You ROCK! I've been looking for a new watch for a while now and these are perfect! I just bought myself a new christmas present...

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Seiko-Mens-5-Automatic-Black-Anodized-Steel-Watch/4319581/product.html

Ho ho ho.

abumason
abumason New Reader
12/17/09 3:54 p.m.

Check out Suunto. They've become the "cool guy" watch to own in the military as of late. Lots of different models and features, and definitely take a beating. Otherwise a Seiko or G-shock as mentioned should fit the bill.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
12/17/09 4:13 p.m.

+1 on the casio g-shock. I think casio was one of the first companies to make electric watches and they did a good job. Plus they are cheap enough that is you do lose it or break it you won't be crying. I work around the house and this thing has taken a few nice blows but except for a small scratch doesn't show it.

I had two watches die on me in a year. The first one had a glass tip over on it and break the face. The second one had the strap come undone while I was riding my motorcycle. I went to check the time and said, "where did that watch go?"

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/17/09 5:51 p.m.

Tag Heuer for the win, but $200 might get you a picture of one

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
12/17/09 5:55 p.m.

I like my Seiko 5 automatic a lot. I picked it up for around $85.

I'd second the Casio G-Shock. I bet you could probably turn up a Casio with solar power and atomic time for under $200 if you looked hard enough.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
12/17/09 6:45 p.m.

For a bunch of guys that don't spend a lot of money on cars, we sure do spend a lot of money to know what time it is.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
12/17/09 6:48 p.m.

I like my Seiko5 but it's a bit smallish and light for the ruggedly handsome outdoorsy image. I really like my Invicta ProDiver with the Japanese Myota movement for $85ish at Amazon - mine is the scalloped edge version, I couldn't find the coin-edge version like Amazon has now. Not as nice as the other version mentioned above - mineral glass vs. sapphire crystal and Myota vs. ETA movement, but also 1/4 the price. It's a substantial watch. My Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700 is my everyday watch. It's a bit scratched after 4 years but still looks good.

I've been on the lookout for a nice skeleton automatic for a decent price. I've seen the Stuhrling for $130ish but don't like the company name printed on the front. I love this Oris Artelier Skeleton but not $1500 worth...

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
12/17/09 6:49 p.m.
VanillaSky wrote: For a bunch of guys that don't spend a lot of money on cars, we sure do spend a lot of money to know what time it is.

It's not a watch, it's jewelry. Women wear diamonds and other jewels, we just wear them inside nice automatic watch movements! Oh, and occasionally some of us spend a whole freaking lot of money on a car... (see my avatar)

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
12/17/09 6:57 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: I bet you could probably turn up a Casio with solar power and atomic time for under $200 if you looked hard enough.

Lots of them are MSRP below that (i.e. available in real world dollars for WAY lower)

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
12/17/09 6:59 p.m.

I know, I was just making that observation.

I wear a Seiko Kinetic myself. Shouldn't be my daily watch, but I've abused the crap out of it. Bike crashes, wrenching, you name it. I need to replace the other pin I bent in my last bike crash.

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
12/17/09 7:04 p.m.

This is right up your alley for $175:

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
12/17/09 7:04 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
eastsidemav wrote: I bet you could probably turn up a Casio with solar power and atomic time for under $200 if you looked hard enough.
Lots of them are MSRP below that (i.e. available in real world dollars for WAY lower)

Shows how much I've been looking lately. Might have to grab one to wear when I don't want to risk tearing up the Seiko.

I will admit part of the reason I bought the watch I did was the glass back so you could see the mechanism work.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
12/17/09 7:56 p.m.

Road and Track once said $395. I bought it online for $195.

It always makes me think of Paddy Hopkirk and Mini Coopers. Except for wearing out a leather band, this baby is like a tank. I own #509/999.

924guy
924guy Dork
12/17/09 9:00 p.m.

dangerous topic... ive found that most people that are into cars, are also into watches!

Yard sales and flea markets are my weapon of choice. you can get a really nice vintage watch, that doesn't work, cheap, you gamble on if can be fixed or not. ive got a 50's gold Bulova that was $10, plus $150 to refurb it. worth ALLOT more than that, but I just think its cool. Gone the same route with my fathers (196x timex stainless automatic) and grand fathers (1942 gold Hamilton) watches as well, and I wear them often. I have one refurbed about once every two years, which reminds me i need to find my box of old broken watches and see which one I want to bring back to life next. As long as all the pieces are there, they can usually fix them

EricM
EricM Dork
12/17/09 10:04 p.m.

wow, lots of realy good options.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/17/09 10:19 p.m.

You guys make me feel cheap rocking my timex. I like to go with metal banded ironmans.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
12/17/09 10:42 p.m.
TJ wrote: I have a Citizen Eco drive - it is solar powered.

Hippie

Keith
Keith SuperDork
12/17/09 10:46 p.m.

Nah, the metal bands don't like water as much. My ironman band's made of a nylon mesh and velcro

Not all car guys are into watches. Heck, I don't even wear one 99% of the time. I'd rather spend the money on shocks.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
12/17/09 10:49 p.m.

I've got a watch habit.

I have a 1963 Tudor Submariner (If Rolex is Cadillac, then Tudor is Buick) I've had it overhauled a few times and it averages around $400.00 for an overhaul. I like the watch but don't wear it often.

I bought a Croton that looks a lot like my Sub for $75.00 on eBay and it works great. If I break it, so what, at least my submariner isn't broken (again). The Croton uses the same movement as the Seiko 5.

Fossil Anadigi. It's O.K. I'm a bit of an automatic snob so I don't have many quartz watches.

Skagen that my wife got me last x-mas. It's super thin, has a titanium case and band with a blue anodized face. It satisfies my "uber modern" craving.

Orient two-tone with a white face and rectangular case.

1960's Jump-hour watch. It's the swiss answer to Japanese digital watches. They're pretty cool, get lots of compliments.

I'm saving my money for a Hamilton Ventura at the moment. I've wanted one for ages and I'm trying to justify it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/17/09 11:40 p.m.

Hamilton Ventura is way cool. Elvis wore won. So does Dean, Mazdaspeed's PR guy.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MucVBohTxeQnCgPkO9yw7rlPl7c8X8hd96C7GpPZL0ufWbvIgPW6YgDcqYHBlT0Q