3 4 5
Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
8/24/10 8:42 a.m.

I have a Tag that I abuse on a daily basis. I think it might be indestructible.

It looks like this -

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
9/6/10 11:59 p.m.

I'm tempted by these two Invictas.

orig. price $495 Buy.com price $60

http://www.buy.com/prod/invicta-men-s-pro-diver-chronograph-stainless-steel/q/loc/64934/212416997.html

orig. price $1,395 next day price $149

http://www.nextdaywatches.com/product/_9370/invicta-leviathan-swiss-quartz-chrono-watch.html

BradLTL
BradLTL Reader
9/8/10 7:50 a.m.

Officially this thread has now cost me money. Wife = not amused.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
9/8/10 1:20 p.m.

I thought AutoWeek was the mag for ridiculous "lifestyle" accessories...

Buckhead
Buckhead Reader
9/8/10 2:05 p.m.

My friends have always had bad luck with their invicta watches.

a few good sites:

worldofwatches.com

http://www.suuntowatches.com/home.jsp

Buckhead
Buckhead Reader
9/8/10 2:05 p.m.

my suunto is awesome.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
9/8/10 3:01 p.m.

Im digging a Fossil right now...hard! This One Fossil PN FS4473

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/8/10 6:42 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: Officially this thread has now cost me money. Wife = not amused.

It's cost me money, because I've bought something for my wife, so I cancel you out.

jg

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
9/22/10 3:02 p.m.

Bumping with my newest "creation":

Seiko 5, generic leather strap. $90.

Now if I could get the dam thing to stick to English days of the week, it'd be golden!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/22/10 4:03 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Bumping with my newest "creation": Seiko 5, generic leather strap. $90. Now if I could get the dam thing to stick to English days of the week, it'd be golden!

Hey, I know a guy with a watch a lot like that one. (Different band, though.) Once the day of the week is set to the English, it should stay that way. Is it not?

porksboy
porksboy Dork
9/22/10 7:25 p.m.

A word from a watchmaker.

Just be aware that the Swiss watch industry as a whole doesnt sell nor allow their official reps/ retailers to sell on the internet. Any thing you get doesnt have a warranty from the manufacturer as it is considered second hand and warranties arent transferable. The seller may have a warranty thru them but if they aren authorised they cannot get parts. This is something I deal with every day.

I dont nessesarily agree with it as it is a restriction of fair trade but I must live with it.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/22/10 8:21 p.m.
Otto_Maddox wrote: I have a Tag that I abuse on a daily basis. I think it might be indestructible. It looks like this -

A Tag might be my next watch, if this Swiss Army ever dies.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
1/1/11 10:15 a.m.

Since my last post to this discussion, I have sold a couple of my watches and bought a nice Ironman digital/analog solor watch for daily use and abuse and have another watch on the way for beater/work status.

I have a question for anybody who dabbles in watch repair... I have a line on a lot of maybe 25-30 watches to purchase. Some are parts watches and others are almost brand new and probably just need batteries. How would you determine if something like this is worth taking a risk on and trying to flip some watches for $$?

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
1/1/11 11:06 a.m.

The value would be based on the scrap metal price. I know people that buy in bulk lots and I know the guys that make sure there is nothing of value in the lot. The ones checking the lots dont get paid in $$ shal we say.

Repairing the watches to use or resell is usually cost prohibitive.

EricM
EricM Dork
1/1/11 1:55 p.m.

Oh, by the way, I got a watch (graduation with my MS present).

It is a Casio with Japanese movement. Another dive watch. Old habits die hard i guess :-)

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
6/6/14 4:57 a.m.

Canoe deleted.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
6/6/14 1:41 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Nixon watches have a couple models under $200, real quality watch too My thoughts exactly, I have one myself, wanting another...
3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dbZjytcgnvCwN1vjPEUdI0NrWU9gwrdBSk628bJUTYUPSG628Txr6WHIZOneWXyH