So, I've got a wet basement. It floods once a year in the rainy season. 

The plan is a multi-pronged attack: French drain in the yard to strike at the root of the matter, a sump pump as a final line of defense, and a dehumidifier as a clean up batter.

We're talking a Hoss. Not available at a box store. Preferably one that I can drain into the sump pump, rather than carrying a reservoir outside, or to a drain.  Who has experience with one? Insight?

I recognize this will be a somewhat major purchase, but a relatively mold free life would be worth it. 

Thanks in advance.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
8/29/20 8:55 a.m.

I know you said no big box stores, but I have this one that was available at Home Depot. It has a built in pump that I ran to the sump pump. It's been running fine for 3 years or so. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-45-pt-Dehumidifier-with-Built-In-Pump-APEL45LY/310592607

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/29/20 9:03 a.m.

I have a toshiba 75 pint, works really well

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
8/29/20 9:08 a.m.

I had a 70-pint Hisense I used in mine for years. Drained right into the sump and did a damn good job. Biggest issue with dehumidifiers is remembering to clean the filters and making sure the stupid hose doesn't clog up, which they somehow manage to do all the time.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/29/20 9:41 a.m.

We have a Honeywell DR65A3000 that can pull 65 pints a day. It is plumbed into our downstairs A/C system, and would need a fan to move air. But it is a hoss and keeps the downstairs quite pleasant.

Forgot to add. It is plumbed into the A/C condensate drain pump. When we had a standalone unit it did okay, but it used more electricity somehow. Putting in the built-in unit lowered the power bill and dehumidified the basement more effectively.

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/29/20 10:17 a.m.

I have Frigidaire 50 and 70 pint models. We run the 70 continuously in the house. We empty it twice a day, and it's always full when we wake up.

We've had them for years. Trouble free for us.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
8/29/20 12:14 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

Check around on Craigslist etc in the fall and winter. They all pretty much work. The biggest issue is how much water they hold before you have to empty it. 
Mine is over 30 years old and I fire it up rarely anymore. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/29/20 1:16 p.m.

This has been working around the clock in my garage for 3 or 4 years.

It is from a big box store, but I've been happy with it.

One suggestion, be sure that you buy one that won't need to be manually restarted after a power outage.

Responses appreciated. Particularly the no reset advice, Doc-Solid advice.

To clarify, I have nothing against buying at a box store, just I'm looking for a heavy duty mofo, and don't mind spending if I wouldn't have to berk with it. I'm especially interested in one I didn't have to empty. ie, could be drained into the sump pump, and sent outside.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/29/20 4:47 p.m.

I have an existing condensate pump on my furnace/HVAC.  My sewer lines are at ground level and the climate control is in the basement.  To get rid of the condensates, it pumps it up to a nipple in the sewer line.  For a while I had a monster dehumidifier that I just let drain into that condensate pump.  That dehumidifier died so I replaced it with a GE from the box store that has its own pump.  I just drilled a 3/8" hole in the foundation and shoved the hose outside.  It has served me well for three years, but I understand the not wanting to buy from a box store.

Try a pro plumbing/HVAC supplier.  They will have access (and knowledge) on every unit from a cute house version up to massive commercial units.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/29/20 5:40 p.m.

I have the biggest one I could find at Home Depot a few years ago. It's a GE. It doesn't have a pump, but there is a hose fitting inside where the drain is, soI was able to connect a garden hose to that and run it into my sump to drain it. It does a great job in my basement, but I don't really have a big water issue down there, either. Mostly I use it so it doesn't get musty.

Thanks, everybody, settled on this one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d3HFjLl6r3Th2nKsv9HrM0urgIjbf4gVSuz61NZ08kNDOmIzAQbEDDmwkOOy5Kl0