1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/5/13 8:36 a.m.

Inviting Disaster takes a look at catostrophic failures throughout history. Big ones like the chemical spill in Bepaul India, oil rig failures, Mr. Dupont blowing himself up in his own TNT factory to smaller ones that are only one paragraph long.

Doing failure analysis I found it very interesting. My "take away"? In hindsight every disaster gives no less than five warnings before failure.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
3/5/13 8:36 a.m.

I'm sure Tolkien's work needs no introduction...
Lord of the Rings trilogy - Tolkien
The Hobbit - Tolkien

HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and sequels) - Douglas Adams - comic sci-fi w/ a strong nihilistic bent

GK Chesterton's fictional work is (to me) comic, highly entertaining, and has a strong philosophical bent to it. Most of his stuff is public domain (freely available on gutenberg.org).
- Manalive - GK Chesterton - odd adventure about finding joy
- The Man Who Was Thursday - GK Chesterton - a detective tries to infiltrate a secret anarchist group. I think it's his most famous fiction work.
- Father Brown... - GK Chesterton - a little priest who solves crimes, short stories

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/5/13 8:38 a.m.
scardeal wrote: I'm sure Tolkien's work needs no introduction...

Silmarillion if you're a real hacker. It's a tough read.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
3/5/13 8:48 a.m.

BTW, if you're fine reading eBooks, Gutenberg.org has LOTS of public domain stuff to read for free...

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
3/5/13 9:24 a.m.

I really liked Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success. Great if you're into nonfiction and science. Also good was Proust was a neuroscientist by Jonah Lehrer.

I want to start reading some more Oliver Sacks.

For Fiction, I really recommend The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
3/5/13 11:09 a.m.
914Driver wrote:

Quoted for understatementyness.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill HalfDork
3/5/13 11:33 a.m.

"Flat out, Flat broke" was a good read, and I'll second "Inviting Disaster"

The "Red Dwarf" series is a nice funny sci-fi read, as is "The Hitchhiker's guide".

"Go Like Hell" was a pretty neat history of the GT40 and how it came to be.

I also like "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court".

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/5/13 11:46 a.m.
scardeal wrote: BTW, if you're fine reading eBooks, Gutenberg.org has LOTS of public domain stuff to read for free...

The amazon bookstore does, too. Almost all the Jules Vernes stuff is good. I especially liked Robur the Conqueror, 20,000 Leagues and The Mysterious Island

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/5/13 11:53 a.m.
914Driver wrote:

I read it in High School. It's tough, but worth it. I equate it to the bible of Middle Earth. Good story. I just bought a new copy to read, but have not gotten around to it yet.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
3/5/13 11:54 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Inviting Disaster

I read this one a couple years ago. (Un)fortunately it was the pre-9/11 edition, but it was indeed very interesting.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
3/5/13 12:09 p.m.

Best Damn Garage In Town, by Smokey Yunick. Very educational and entertaining.

A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole. Hilarious.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
3/5/13 6:28 p.m.

^^^Might be my favorite book ever. Don't tell Kurt.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/5/13 6:55 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:

I've only ever had to replace two books that I lent out, and the person decided to "lose" (i.e., steal) it. Confederacy of Dunces was one of them.

801 Canal St. Placed in storage every year during Mardi Gras so that no one will berkeley with it.

The other book is Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy". If you're into zombie tales, check it out.
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Crazy-Simon-Clark/dp/0843948256

slopecarver
slopecarver Reader
3/5/13 6:56 p.m.

I second hitchikers guide to the galaxy (the entire 5 book trilogy)

Also a quick read for before bed: Go The berkeley To Sleep as read by Samuel L Jackson.

And Finally before the movie comes out hit up Enders Game

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
3/5/13 7:16 p.m.

Yah, "Confederacy of Dunces" is a must read. I also fell in love with "Life of Pi" long before it became a movie, very thought-provoking book. Love James Lee Burke, Joseph Wambaugh, Tom Wolfe, Michael Connelly.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
3/5/13 7:47 p.m.

WARNING: Shameless self promotion...

I published my first novel last year and the next one will be out in a few weeks.

Author Michael Hervey website

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
3/5/13 7:58 p.m.
mightymike wrote: Author Michael Hervey website

Hmm, from your picture on top, figured you for a doctor.
I was way off.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
3/5/13 8:06 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote:
mightymike wrote: Author Michael Hervey website
Hmm, from your picture on top, figured you for a doctor. I was way off.

Ha! That made me and The Boss laugh!

If anyone wants a free electronic copy (Kindle) of my book, just get in touch with me through my website.

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
3/5/13 8:18 p.m.
Spitsix
Spitsix Reader
3/5/13 8:44 p.m.

The Long Road to Paris

by Ed and Janet Howle

The Long Road to Paris is set in the first around-the-world car race in 100 years. This novel is half fast-paced suspense and half convoluted love story. The twists and turns of the plot involve a dangerous liaison between the car’s driver and his secretive, mysterious navigator and an inventor who hides the nature of the radical technology. The impact from this technology is so revolutionary that oil-exporting countries, including Russia, want every trace of it destroyed and China, lacking adequate energy resources wants to steal it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
3/5/13 9:42 p.m.

Brock Yates : Cannonball

Clive Cussler: Anything from the Dirk Pitt series, I like Dragon and Treasure the best.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
3/5/13 9:48 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: If you read Christopher Moore's 'Lamb' you may go to hell, but you'll laugh all the way there. His other works that I've read are good, but not AS good.

As a Christian of 34 years, I ~thoroughly~ enjoyed that book. It is VERY VERY well written, albeit absurdly irreverent. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Most other Christians would be offended. I loved it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/5/13 9:55 p.m.
mightymike wrote: WARNING: Shameless self promotion... I published my first novel last year and the next one will be out in a few weeks. Author Michael Hervey website

How do I get a hard copy, your link is failing right now

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/5/13 9:56 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
I've only ever had to replace two books that I lent out, and the person decided to "lose" (i.e., steal) it. Confederacy of Dunces was one of them. 801 Canal St. Placed in storage every year during Mardi Gras so that no one will berkeley with it. The other book is Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy". If you're into zombie tales, check it out. http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Crazy-Simon-Clark/dp/0843948256

ordered off eBay, thanks for the heads up

stroker
stroker Dork
3/5/13 9:56 p.m.

"Powershift" by Toffler or "The Survivor's Club" by Ben Sherwood.

Anything by James Hornfischer for WWII Pacific history e.g. "Neptune's Inferno" or "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors"

"Shattered Sword" by Tully & Parschall about the battle of Midway

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vB3pV2mksdisp0RtW8HPY053EOMNER3t0pjvfOLYOycQcUTwSlUagxU3dS1Zsc6I