1 2 3
aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/5/13 9:58 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole. Hilarious.
^^^Might be my favorite book ever. Don't tell Kurt.

ordered this too

mightymike
mightymike Reader
3/6/13 7:56 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Paperbacks through Amazon.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/6/13 7:58 a.m.

The Last Testament: A Memoir by God, possibly the funniest thing I've ever read.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
3/6/13 1:21 p.m.

Team Yankee, One of my favorites.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/6/13 1:43 p.m.
mightymike wrote: In reply to aussiesmg: Paperbacks through Amazon.

EBay was cheaper.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/6/13 1:55 p.m.

I'm almost finished with "The world according to Clarkson", from Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame. ~330 pages broken up into 3-4 page bits with typical JC humor about various ideas and adventures from about 2001-2004.

I'm not a fiction reader, mostly magazines, but this and World War Z and Zombie Survival Guide I can stay focused.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
3/6/13 4:25 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I'm not a fiction reader, mostly magazines, but this and World War Z and Zombie Survival Guide I can stay focused.

Max Brooks is a smart guy, I enjoyed both books thoroughly. Also, he has good genes...

This guy is his dad...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/6/13 5:53 p.m.

I admit that I didn't read the whole thread. Anyone already suggest Philip K. Dick and Arthur C. Clarke? (Hey, I like the middle initial.)

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/6/13 5:54 p.m.

If you can find a copy, Confessions of a Pizza Maker by C.W. Marshall.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/6/13 5:57 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
Jerry wrote: I'm not a fiction reader, mostly magazines, but this and World War Z and Zombie Survival Guide I can stay focused.
This guy is his dad...

"YOGURT!"

stroker
stroker Dork
7/1/13 6:05 p.m.

Just finished a truly excellent book called "Engineers of Victory" about WWII. It was published this year. It covers the sources of Allied success in the war from the perspective of who was in the background making contributions. "Ship of Ghosts" by Hornfisher about the USS Houston is an exceptional read, too. They didn't get the moniker "The Greatest Generation" for nothing...

slowride
slowride Reader
7/1/13 6:48 p.m.

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin (not finished yet)

Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson (3 books)

Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson

Under the Dome by Stephen King

If you like series thrillers, the stuff by Michael Connelly, James Lee Burke, CJ Box, John Sandford, and to a lesser degree, Lee Child.

Devil in the White City was pretty good too.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
7/1/13 7:13 p.m.

If you like crime drama non fiction books, check out Cornbread Mafia by James Higdon. Most of the events in this book happened ~10 miles from my house, and I literally couldn't put it down. It sympathyzes with the pot growers more than the cops, but it tells the crazy history of Marion County, Kentucky.

Also details the largest pot bust in American history, which was grown by one of the Cornbread Mafia in Minnesota of all places.

http://www.amazon.com/Cornbread-Mafia-Homegrown-Syndicates-Marijuana/dp/B008EGEV48/ref=sr_1_1_title_2_audd?ie=UTF8&qid=1372723904&sr=8-1&keywords=cornbread+mafia

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
7/1/13 7:23 p.m.

I don't know if you can get it as an audiobook, but I'm currently enjoying "Great North Road" by Peter F. Hamilton. Just be aware that it appears to start slowly - it took me a while to get hooked, which was a first with one of his books.

I'd also recommend the Void trilogy, by the same author.

In both cases the books might keep you entertained for a little while, these are all books in the close to thousand pages range.

Oh, and another recommendation for the Baroque Cycle. I love those books.

Recommendation is void where prohibited and if the listener doesn't like Science Fiction.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb HalfDork
7/1/13 8:24 p.m.

Best sci fi read in the last few years for me was the 'Ender' series by Orson Scott Card. The first book was just made into a movie and the trailer looks totally awesome!!

Ender's Game

Speaker for the Dead

Xenocide

Children of the Mind

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YoiqPCnBnvu89vItUpCEmuTg9dqt0ApL6yIWLl9MRH6Ztkq7Adsgv3iTtNRoaIKQ