1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
8/28/12 5:23 p.m.

I'll put in a vote for Bose. I use a a set of Bose TP-1A

I love them. I want to say they were in the $100 range.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/28/12 5:30 p.m.

I want some decent headphones here soon... i've always run ear buds with clips or small over the ear type but a while back got to enjoy some decent headphones... typical ear buds never stay in my ear even with the gummy type cups... I must have a weird shaped ear... anyway

I'm thinking of using them with my TV for gaming... I have turtle beaches but the wireless is annoying and they've broken a few times at the hinge (JB weld to the rescue) along with out in public for studying and such (much easier to tune out to study)

my big question is... these nicer headphones sound great but where and when do you use them?... i'm sure I'd miss the easy transport of ear buds

do you mostly just stick to in the house and office use?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/28/12 5:44 p.m.
triumph7 wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote: The standard: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ
Excellent, yes, but beware of Sony when you have to replace the ear cushions! They cost almost as much as the headphones and I've replaced them once already (have had them seemingly forever) and they need it again. Update, I just looked at the Amazon link, apparently somebody figured out that ear pads should only cost $9 instead of what I paid back around 1994!

my last post goes largely to you... being you've had them around that long makes me really considering them... I can deal with replacing ear pads ever decade or so haha... so specifically how and where do you use them?

scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/28/12 8:22 p.m.

I used both the Sennheiser HD-280 and the Sony's whIle I'm working the sound board at Mass. I like the Sennheisers better.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/29/12 9:44 a.m.

I was able to make it to a store that had several demo units out. I tried the BOSE AE2, Sennheiser HD 428.

The Bose was the most comfortable, but where on there own dedicated display, so I could only listen to what they wanted me to. Very clear sound, but very different from anything other headphones I have used.

The 428 seamed to be a mid grade set, $80 on sale for $60. Comfortable and with good sound. For the price, they where great.

At another store, they had a slew of low end Sennheiser($20-50) but not available for demo.

I still need to find some Grados to try, as well as the Sony zx600.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
8/29/12 12:07 p.m.

I've used them mostly with portable players, cd & MP3, but also with my guitar modelers and console. I haven't used them much lately because the pads were worn again and was hesitant to put a ton of $$ into headphones that old. The Sonys have always been comfortable and sonically great. Truth be told, I never thought Sony would still be making the same model after all these years but I'm glad they do.

donalson wrote:
triumph7 wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote: The standard: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ
Excellent, yes, but beware of Sony when you have to replace the ear cushions! They cost almost as much as the headphones and I've replaced them once already (have had them seemingly forever) and they need it again. Update, I just looked at the Amazon link, apparently somebody figured out that ear pads should only cost $9 instead of what I paid back around 1994!
my last post goes largely to you... being you've had them around that long makes me really considering them... I can deal with replacing ear pads ever decade or so haha... so specifically how and where do you use them?
donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/29/12 3:20 p.m.

stopped in frys only to find they don't have much in the way of demos... so ran over to bestbuy...

found the sennheiser hd439's sound pretty nice and comfortable on the head... liked the slightly more expensive sennheisers sound but they pinched after just a min or so :-/... wonder if they would break themselves in after a while?...

no sonys v6's to try out...

another question for you guys with big cans that use the large coiled wire... how is that for every day use?... them not being fragile is a bonus but is the bulk annoying on the move?

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
8/29/12 6:10 p.m.

To be brutally honest: You don't buy a bicycle from Walmart, so why are you trying to buy "audiophile" goods from Best-Buy, etc?

Find a local music shop, or national chin dedicated to music. 1) Better service damn near guaranteed. 2) Usually going to have a better selection of headphones from other manufacturers 3) Generally want you to try out the headphones before you buy them.

The place I went to had no issues with me opening a package and listening to them on the spot with my own player.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
8/29/12 6:14 p.m.
donalson wrote: another question for you guys with big cans that use the large coiled wire... how is that for every day use?... them not being fragile is a bonus but is the bulk annoying on the move?

I generally wear somewhat baggy clothing/hoodies and would stuff the cord in the pocket of my hoodie. Summer? wrap the cord once or twice around my left hand and never felt restricted. Takes about .5 seconds to drop the cord to use my hand, and then about 1 second to wrap it up again. Course...I could get a straight cord for my Shure's as they have a detachable cable.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/3/12 9:06 a.m.

Newegg has the V6 with an in-cart price of $72 for now, lets hope it holds out for awhile.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
9/3/12 10:06 a.m.

Sennheiser HD280s. I mix a lot of live sound stuff, they isolate enough that even with the mains blasting I can listen to individual tracks easily. They also have damn near perfect (flat) frequency curve. The Sony MDs are great if you're a DJ, they only reproduce low frequencies, way too boomy for my taste. Anything AKG in that price range has those fragile pieces of plastic somewhere in their design, and they are expensive to fix, and they are too mid-rangey in my opinion. Sennheiser is (or used to be) the only ones you can easily get replacement parts for, drivers and the padding namely, although mine have been used A LOT and they still sound excellent and look fine. The only thing that broke on mine was the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter they supplied. My friend has a pair of Beyerdynamics, the $250ish ones, and the Sennheisers sound just about the same, but the Beyers are lighter and more comfortable, and isolate slightly better. For an extra $150.

I'll echo what fast eddie said: Bose is the Audi of the audio world- it looks cool and all the cool kids have it, but it'll be broken in 6 months, so you should probably just buy something better right off the bat.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/17/12 9:47 p.m.

I ended up with a pair of AKG k240 55ohm semi-open headphones... have 60 days to return if I don't like them... had em about a week now and LOVE the sound...

my only issue is I must have big ears... cause the bottom of the ear cup catches my ear at the lobes... it might be because of the round speaker cup... but they are much more comfortable then my gaming headset... but after a few hrs of em on my ears the lobes have a dull ache to em :-/

the more I think about it the more I think they'll be going back and I'll try out something else... perhaps oval ear cups will help with that...

also picked up some sennheiser cx 150 in ear type phones... apparently they are getting rid of em... used to sell for $80 type things but because they've moved on to newer better stuff they are closing out for $17... so I'll have something decent thats easy to tote around and package when the big cans aren't ideal...

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
10/18/12 12:03 a.m.

I feel you on the big ears thing. I can't stand anything to touch my ears, so my headphones tend to make me look like I'm an air traffic controller.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/27/13 6:01 a.m.

I finally picked a new pair. After looking at the Sennheiser HD 428 again I decided to look at them online. I found factory refurbished for $25 from a large and reputable Sennheiser dealer. So far my wife has been wanting to steal them from me since they came in.

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
8/27/13 7:03 a.m.

Grado sr60i add L-cush pads if open backed cans are acceptable. No bullcrap, proven can for decades.

Beats have ruined the headphone industry.

ryejeff
ryejeff New Reader
8/27/13 8:57 a.m.

I have Sony MDR-7506 cans. They sound phenomenal. They are also pretty tough. They show almost no wear after being crammed in my backpack every day for the bicycle ride to and from work.

The vinyl pads started deteriorating after a year or so. I replaced them with velour pads. The replacement pads are both more comfortable and a lot more durable.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Diaphragm-Beyerdynamic-Earcushions-Headphones/dp/B0092SGCSU/ref=pd_pgd_B00001WRSJ_B0092SGCSU?pf_rd_p=1560319962&pf_rd_s=cp-merchandising-top&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00001WRSJ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=137MEGJAR33Q3A1XNSQJ

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
8/27/13 10:39 a.m.

Head-Fi puts out really good buyer's guides. Look around at that.

You'll find a lot of the headphones already recommended here! The V6s would be a solid choice.

On Beats: They've replaced the magnetic bracelet as my new "gullible indicator."
On Bose: Much of their stuff is overpriced or underperforming (Wave Radio, anyone?). However their noise cancelling technology is peerless.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/27/13 12:57 p.m.

This is relevant to my interests at the moment. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s that are now giving me issues with flakiness.

I'm looking mostly at the following:
Sennheiser HD 280 Pros
Creative Aurvana Live!
Monoprice 8323 (of all things)

Although I'm drooling at this:
Sennheiser Momentum

Recommendations?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/27/13 1:12 p.m.

almost a year has gone by and I'm still loving my akg k240s... they tend to stay hooked up to the computer and I keep the sennheiser cx150 for on the go

but it looks like the akgs are more now then they where a year ago lol..

like has been mentioned... load up some high quality music that you would typically listen to and goto a store where you can put the phones on and listen I still am amazed at how nice what I picked out sounds and how comfortable they are

scardeal
scardeal Dork
8/27/13 1:20 p.m.

I would go with the AKG's in a minute if it didn't leak sound.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
8/27/13 1:55 p.m.
scardeal wrote: Although I'm drooling at this: Sennheiser Momentum Recommendations?

Get the Momentums. They're a $300 work of art. Plus they'll last until you're old and deaf.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/27/13 2:00 p.m.
scardeal wrote: This is relevant to my interests at the moment. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s that are now giving me issues with flakiness. I'm looking mostly at the following: Sennheiser HD 280 Pros Creative Aurvana Live! Monoprice 8323 (of all things) Although I'm drooling at this: Sennheiser Momentum Recommendations?

I'm happy with my HD 280 Pros. Have had them for 3+ years now, hooked up to a Total Bithead amp I use at work for music listening (also take them on trips).

However, I prefer Grado's for the more "open" sound. But the HD 280s are nice in an office environment so everyone else doesn't have to listen to my music.

carbon
carbon Reader
8/27/13 2:06 p.m.

A little off topic, but what are some good sound quality, semi-reasonably priced earbuds?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
8/27/13 2:23 p.m.
carbon wrote: A little off topic, but what are some good sound quality, semi-reasonably priced earbuds?

I don' think those exist... in-ear is where you can get decent sound

on the plus side there are some very inexpensive IEM that are supposed to sound much nicer then things costing 10x their price

http://www.head-fi.org/

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
8/27/13 10:14 p.m.

FYI, I'm completely serious about the sr60i.

Shameless plug for my company: http://turbulentlabs.com

Yes, you saw that right. You can hot-rod Grados.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q32FMgqikGjvpW9cx9Jv4vCMLLoQZm6bm14mH1kFNl96QrmptEuYLSuzs3w6NYVI