Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/3/22 8:09 a.m.

Want to be able to listen to music in the bedroom. Don't want speakers taking up nightstand or dresser space.

Want either wife or I to easily be able to play and control music from our phones. We have Android phones, not apple.

Want decent quality audio, but not looking for a high-end listening experience. Just not cheap, hollow, and tinny.

Want relatively inexpensive. Ideally the $100-$300 range, but could go higher for significant quality gains.

Don't know that I care about "smart speaker" technology. I don't need it to answer calls, tell me the weather, place online orders, or anything like that. Would see value in phone app that makes it easier to connect/disconnect multiple phones without messing with settings. I don't want to start watching a video on my phone and have the sound play in the bedroom while my wife is sleeping in.

Not bothered by slightly larger size if I can easily mount it to a wall or put up a bookshelf.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
12/3/22 11:41 a.m.

I would start looking at a sound bar and see how you feel. You can get a decent one for that price range, has to be turned on for Bluetooth to work so you wouldn't accidentally blast into another room.

Ours was a cheapo and still sounds great and came with little knobs to wall mount.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/3/22 12:23 p.m.
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/3/22 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Yeah, that's way pricier than I'm thinking.

Stretching budget, I was thinking like maybe $400-$500 if it's really worth it.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/4/22 2:07 p.m.

A pair of Sonos speakers would do it for you.  Sound pretty reasonable, easy to use and well supported, pretty unobtrusive.

I bought Sonos for a certain person in my household that is yet to touch the component system after nearly 3 years.  (might be a blessing)  She picked it up right away and uses it.  I think they're also airplay2 compatible so you can setup multiroom streaming.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/4/22 3:21 p.m.

In reply to jwagner (Forum Supporter) :

They are on my radar. Weighing benefits of a pair of Sonos One SL's, vs a single Sonos Move.

The Audio Pro C10 also looks like a strong contender. Reviews indicate much better sound quality than the Sonos.

I think that if I want a WiFi speaker, I'm looking at up to $400. I could probably get nice Bluetooth speakers for $250. But then I run into the potential pitfalls of suddenly blasting YouTube vids.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
12/5/22 2:13 p.m.

I've got a whole house full of sonos and I've been really happy with it.

I'd say for your needs, finding used sonos play 1 (the predecesor to the One) on facebook or wherever for $90-100 per are a great deal. Or getting two refurbished One SL at $120 each from sonos would do it as well.

Buy off-brand wall-mount kits or mini-shelves from Amazon.

I have a Move, and it's lovely and sounds better than a One, but not as good as two Ones in stereo. Don't bother with a Move unless you're planning to actually use the battery to take it outside.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
12/5/22 2:22 p.m.

How do you deal with charging/powering the speaker that you end up getting?  My dad is all wound up about getting some Bluetooth speakers "so there's no wires to deal with" but when I ask about electrical power he just repeats that "they're wireless!" because it's an inconvient aspect.  So I'm curious how that will be dealt with.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/5/22 3:38 p.m.

I've read really good stuff about this one and the more expensive one. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/marshall-acton-ii-bluetooth-speaker-black/6304062.p?skuId=6304062

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/5/22 5:00 p.m.

C'mon, this is GRM. Let's roll something fun. This is a 1930's tube radio that I modified to be an Apple AirPlay streaming device - I could have done something more androidy if I had Androids. Light turns on when it's playing something, then it shuts down when you're done. If you want wall mount, make a shelf :)

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
12/5/22 5:14 p.m.

i built one of these for my kitchen.  The amp board has a USB connection on the board that you can soldier on a USB connector so I did that along with one of the amazon Dot without a speaker which I connected via bluetooth...

It works great, was fun to build and with batteries easily transports out to my deck/yard for BBQ's.  

https://www.parts-express.com/Executive-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker-Kit-300-7164?quantity=1

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TqETYsrguja8n03DKO8ChJsjwWmNmEnAckHJkCBU8slR7zBkAeyPV0syswyWzgsM