BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/16/21 12:01 p.m.

Can someone recommend a good home stereo forum? I have a couple of old JBL speakers that I'm restoring, and I need some advice for sourcing some OEM-style cones. JBL used a proprietary coating on their cones and factory ones are NLA. I'm not on the book of faces, so I'm limited to forums.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/16/21 12:03 p.m.

There are a number of audiophiles on here.  I know a bunch of very knowledgeable sound geeks hang out on the parts-express forum.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/16/21 12:09 p.m.

+1 Parts Express forum.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/16/21 12:12 p.m.

About your specific question; they may poo-poo the idea of replacing drivers in existing commercial speakers unless there is a known drop in replacement as the crossover network (and to a lesser extent the cabinet design) will not be designed for just any speaker of the same general size.  You may end up getting talked into taking the JBL's apart, measuring the left over tweeters and such, and building a new pair of speakers around those donor parts.

If that sounds like your idea of a good time, Parts Express forum for sure.  If not, plan on being pushed to build or buy something else entirely and selling the JBL's off to fund the project.

Might go some other way but this is how I've seen this sort of question get answered there before.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
2/16/21 1:20 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions! "Restoring" is probably a little more than what I'm actually wanting to do. I bought the speakers new in '82 and about 10 years later, I took them to a local shop to have the foam edges on the woofers replaced. The moron managed to damage one of the cones while removing the old foam, so he replaced it with a cheap generic paper cone without contacting me first. Then he did the same with the other speaker, "so they'd sound the same." I was spending 20 nights/month on the road at the time, so I didn't have time to mess with getting them done right. I've recently pulled the speakers out of retirement and I'd like to bring them back to close to OEM looks and sound. The speakers seem to be in good working order, except for the E36 M3ty woofer cones.

I'll sign up with the parts express forum and see what they suggest.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
2/16/21 6:45 p.m.

Check out Simply Speakers.  I got foam kits for 2 pair of JBLs and couldn't have been happier.

www.simplyspeakers.com

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/17/21 11:21 a.m.

The Parts Express forum is good, and they're a good source of DIY speaker components.  Likewise Madisound, especially for high end stuff, and they're pretty good about offering advice:  https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/madisound

My favorite audio forum is diyaudio.com where a fair amount of audio geekdom hang out.  Sort of a GRM of the audio world.  Can get very heavily technical, and a number of the superstars of audio design have been seen there offering advice, designs, and opinions. 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
2/17/21 12:03 p.m.

Thanks!

This morning I actually talked to the owner of the shop I bought them from 40 years ago. He's still in business! He said I'd be better off just finding a couple of used woofers on eBay and dropping them in. Even if the parts were still available, the cost to attempt to rebuild the current ones would be more than what the speakers are worth. I'll set this project aside and move on to working up the energy to tackle the engine mounts on my Miata. laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qUiOBaK7g72SXkEkZjiTi9gIPcQP4EdjVaqM0FFYhhOMysmJgGnybfmGcJrogSUm