Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/3/22 7:05 p.m.

We are using TeamViewer to remotely run desktops and certify the x-ray thickness measurement gauges. Works really well, when it works. I thought our internet connection was spotty, bossette thinks the free version of TeamViewer is to blame. This morning it cut out at least 5 times and lagged even more.

Looking at alternatives I found Splashtop. Haven't tried yet but looks promising.

Any advice on services? We need full access to the desktop to run the machine and start/stop the program.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/3/22 7:06 p.m.

What about using the MS Remote Desktop client?

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
3/3/22 8:03 p.m.

I have had the opportunity to use both the free and paid versions of TeamViewer. The free version did have some issues compared to the paid version but it was not night and day. Also, we were not using to remote operate the machine, we were using it as a portal into the apps running on the machine, without interaction.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
3/3/22 8:45 p.m.

I've always been a fan of RealVNC.  But yeah, built in remote desktop works well on Windows.

how to use remote desktop

procainestart
procainestart Dork
3/3/22 9:05 p.m.

Unless you can document that your connection isn't a factor, it doesn't seem to make sense to look for an alternative: swap to another product, issues continue cuz it was your pipe, not your app. That said, our org's helpdesk has migrated to Splashtop, though, for some reason, they still sometimes continue to use TeamViewer. My special lady friend has been using Remote Desktop without issue since the pandemic began.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
3/3/22 9:52 p.m.

I suspect that the paid and free versions of TeamViewer run the same communication code.  I also suspect that the problem you're having isn't due to the software.  Since Windows Remote Desktop is free and probably already installed on both machines I'd try that first.

I obviously don't know how your facility is setup but unless I need a PC out on the floor for the HMI I usually use a USB or RS232/485 to Ethernet adapter for remote equipment and run the software on a PC in an office somewhere.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/3/22 11:22 p.m.

I used TeamViewer quite a bit at my last company and liked it. 

Splashtop was fine but required VPN login, so added an additional step. The chat feature was also not as good as TeamViewer (we were mostly using it for remote troubleshooting).

Remote Desktop works just fine for connecting but if it's a shared computer, it just boots whoever is already logged in. This could be a feature, depending on your intended usage - I find it super annoying since I'm frequently doing remote method development and someone will just come along and kick me off with no warning. Then they like to close whatever I was working on without saving.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/4/22 11:27 a.m.
APEowner said:

I suspect that the paid and free versions of TeamViewer run the same communication code.  I also suspect that the problem you're having isn't due to the software.  Since Windows Remote Desktop is free and probably already installed on both machines I'd try that first.

Hm, I was curious if they gave priority to paid accounts, maybe throttling free version bandwidth, something like that.

I'm new to this part, just started doing remote cal's last week, so TeamViewer is all I know so far.  I'll look into Windows Remote Desktop, maybe that's an option.  (I did run a speedtest or two this morning while TV was acting up, everything seemed normal.)

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
3/4/22 11:30 a.m.

I use TeamViewer to turn off the lights in the restroom when my buddies are in there.

No other additional help from me.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/4/22 1:41 p.m.

Read an article about Win Remote Desktop, there's no way I'll get our customers to set up something like that.  It's hard enough to have them download a program, install and run it, put three items on the XRF stage and call me with the ID and password...  I spent 10 minutes trying to get someone to do that yesterday, after emailing and sending a one page instruction saying exactly that.

Looks like TV and Splashtop are $600 and $400 per year for the level of what I think we need.  One user here, unlimited (or at least 200) users on the other end.  Got some free time, maybe I'll try Splashtop this afternoon, see how it works.  (I have a demo Xray here I can practice with over the internet.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DiPPN8umBXRwUJ1wYDteqEbFfsojTZ8ynhyAjrsjrgQI4DULDsW4MbjYKyMMCE5I