93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
4/24/12 4:04 p.m.

I have a pair of eyeglassses (metal frames) which broke the other day and being the cheap bastard I am, I don't want to throw them away. So I figured I would try to fix them. How should I fix them brazing or JB Weld or some other form of epoxy? I have never used done brazing before but I will try damn near anything.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west Reader
4/24/12 4:09 p.m.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

There isn't any reason not to have a spare or two around when you can pick up a new pair for $20 shipped to your door.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
4/24/12 4:23 p.m.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
4/24/12 7:52 p.m.

years ago as a broke college kid I fixed a pair of wire frame glasses with JB Weld. They broke where the wire over the nosepiece met the wire around the lense. I carefully built up a sculpted brigde out of epoxy - which is really hard when you're BLIND cause you're fixing your GLASSES. Anyway, they held great for six months till I could get to the optometrist. While at the doc I made some crack about fixing them myself, causing him to pick up the frames and examine them. He was very impressed, couldn't believe I'd repaired them myself. Said he hadn't noticed it till i pointed it out, then made me detail how I'd done it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
4/24/12 7:53 p.m.
CLNSC3 wrote:

Doode, masking tape is the traditional eyeglass repair go-to.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
4/24/12 8:51 p.m.

When I was a kid:

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/24/12 9:06 p.m.
failboat
failboat Dork
4/25/12 6:26 a.m.
fromeast2west wrote: http://www.zennioptical.com/ There isn't any reason not to have a spare or two around when you can pick up a new pair for $20 shipped to your door.

thanks for that. I only get a new pair of glasses every couple years when the current set breaks, or gets too scratched up. now if I can only find my vision prescription........

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/25/12 7:46 a.m.

You ideally want to have your eyes checked every year, or at least whenever you get new glasses. It should be about $50 at the most or sometimes it's free with the purchase of a new set of glasses.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve PowerDork
4/25/12 7:50 a.m.

Stick welder. Remember to grind down the weld splatter.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
4/25/12 9:06 a.m.

jewelers torch?

couldn't cost that much to have it done at the jewelry store

failboat
failboat Dork
4/25/12 10:06 a.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing:

last 2 times I had my prescription checked, it didn't change at all, over the course of 4 or 5 years.

I guess I will worry about it when things start to get blurry again!

slefain
slefain SuperDork
4/25/12 10:40 a.m.

I did this not too long ago to fix a broken hinge and it ended up pretty well. I have since lost the glasses, but here is how I did it:

Get some crimp on electrical connectors like this:

Remove the plastic part. Pick the size that best matches the diameter of your glasses. Cut off the eye or spade or whatever part of the connector that does not crimp (you end up with a 2-3mm long barrel). I used a scratch awl to open up the connector until it slid snugly over the broken hinge. Then I crimped the snot out of it. I used a black sharpie to color the crimp connection to match the glasses arm.

Got me through SEMA until my new glasses arrived.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
4/25/12 10:55 a.m.
failboat wrote: In reply to jimbob_racing: last 2 times I had my prescription checked, it didn't change at all, over the course of 4 or 5 years. I guess I will worry about it when things start to get blurry again!

Getting your eyes checked isn't just about your vision, Eye doctors can detect early signs of some conditions and diseases by looking at your eye's blood vessels, retina and so forth. Your eye doctor may be able to tell you if you are developing high blood pressure, high cholesterol or other problems. Linky

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
4/25/12 11:46 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: jewelers torch? couldn't cost that much to have it done at the jewelry store

I do not wear glasses but I know that my B-I-L has taken his glasses to a jeweler to be fixed. Specifically a shop that makes/crafts/repairs jewelery.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/20/13 12:27 p.m.
fromeast2west wrote: http://www.zennioptical.com/ There isn't any reason not to have a spare or two around when you can pick up a new pair for $20 shipped to your door.

this... find a size you like and make sure to get your your pupil distance measurement right...

that being said... I killed many pairs of glasses as a kid... one was an acriccle glass frame with metal arms... I snapped it at the bridge, dad drilled a small hole in both sides of the bridge, slipped in bit of a paper clip and super glued it together... lasted untill it was time for me to get my next pair.

but sorry no thoughts on repairing metal frames that aren't already posted.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
1/3/19 2:09 a.m.
fromeast2west said:

http://www.zennioptical.com/

There isn't any reason not to have a spare or two around when you can pick up a new pair for $20 shipped to your door.

Ive used eyebuydirect.com with the same idea in mind. They ran a sale every once and awhile with free shipping, i got like....3 pairs for $7 a piece

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
1/3/19 3:17 a.m.

I'm sure I'm out of touch with developments in the canoe industry, but... is it a new thing for robots to copy old posts and put synonyms in for a couple of random words?  Or do glassesframerepair and donalson have the same Dad?

Antihero
Antihero Dork
1/3/19 1:06 p.m.
Stealthtercel said:

I'm sure I'm out of touch with developments in the canoe industry, but... is it a new thing for robots to copy old posts and put synonyms in for a couple of random words?  Or do glassesframerepair and donalson have the same Dad?

I dont see it now but maybe?

Im suprised by the amount of canoe posts here, ive been apart of much much bigger forums that had little to no canoe activity, no idea why they think this is the place to be.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/3/19 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The Zombie canoe has been deleted.  Different forums have different levels and types of security to prevent canoes in the first place.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tiToWcsgBNkm9pmWeW0pgnh5b5Bwe6Zl3pj20HAUF429r9K4Sz5hJigh0VpKM51f