trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/21/21 12:22 p.m.

I purchased 3-4 years ago a gaming Dell Laptop, I don't use it often couple times a month. Long story short the warranty expired and Dell is not going to pay for it. The next year I will probably be using it more because I am opening a small bossiness, so I wasn't sure how effective battery replacement is. I have done so for Iphones but they only seem to have a short life span. Any recommendations on brand battery replacement? Model info

Dell Inspiron 15 7559 15.6in. (1TB, Intel Core i7 6th Gen., 3.5GHz, 8GB) Notebook/Laptop - Black / Red - DNCWPW5716H

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
9/21/21 12:31 p.m.

A new laptop as a business expense would be deductible, no?

Make it rain.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/21/21 12:36 p.m.

We will need more detail. Is the pack removable? How good are you with electronics? Do you have a soldering iron? They're easily fixed, but it turns into the classic "Spend more than a replacement to fix it properly" issue to replace a poor single cell, assuming it's just got 18650s in it.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/21/21 12:38 p.m.

I've done it on my Dell XPS 15 and it was super easy with the right tools. I think it was some tiny Torx fasteners mainly, like T5? Took about 15 minutes. This assumes your laptop has the "built in" style battery and isn't one of those that comes right off with a slide latch. I used a Dell OEM battery, received directly from Dell. I know there are aftermarket batteries available but I am a little worried by them. (Something about a flammable element held in a high temperature environment inches from my junk makes me leery of the bottom bidder part.)

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/21 12:53 p.m.

As mentioned, you'll need a special set of torx drivers, but otherwise it's mostly a case of carefully taking stuff apart until you get to what you need.  BTDT with my old Dell work laptop. The IT dept eventually replaced it, although the guy I worked with mentioned the battery was about ready to explode so it was on borrowed time.  Being an older laptop model and somewhat obsolete, the HD was removed and the rest of it got recycled.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/21/21 1:49 p.m.

I updated the model its a Dell 7559 it doesn't look to hard to replace,I do have a torx set I can check if they work, I am going to call Dell see what they charge. Worse case scenario I just sell the laptop and buy a new one. It's a nice laptop.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/21 1:51 p.m.

I recommend buying from ifixit.com, they've done well for phone battery replacements:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Dell_Inspiron_15-7559_Repair

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/21/21 1:57 p.m.

I tried an iFixIt battery for my 2012 Macbook Pro. They replaced the first one they sent because it was obviously bad - after quite a bit of back and forth - and the new one was no better. I gave up on them and grabbed one from OWC instead. I don't know if it's just their batteries for that specific laptop (it may be - I'm not the only one based on reviews) but they're not my first choice anymore. Pity, their documentation is second to none and I like to reward that.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/21/21 2:32 p.m.

Looks like Dell doesn't sell new batteries for the 7559 any more so you're left with the aftermarket. No big deal, just look for an established supplier with lots of good reviews. (A 4.5 star rating with 4,000 reviews is much better than a 5 star rating with 10 reviews.)

Some of the aftermarket batteries come with the drivers you'll need. I had to buy some, I didn't have a good set that went down to T5.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/22/21 8:09 a.m.

Ifix it has the battery+tool kit, shipped $93.27.

Newegg has a "genuine" Dell battery for $55.16 shipped.

Ebay "genuine" $40.79

I don't trust ebay, but can I trust Newegg?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
9/22/21 8:29 a.m.

With NewEgg, make sure you have it set to "sold by NewEgg."  Otherwise, it's a marketplace like amazon, ebay, alibaba, etc..

One of the cool things about Dells is that you can view the service manuals.  Just search for "Dell XXXX Maintenance" and you'll get taken to a page like this: 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/docs

Scroll down to the "Manuals and Documents" section and go to "Inspiron 15 7000 Service Manual."  It'll show you how to do, well everything.  It's very cool.  Thanks Dell!

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/22/21 8:29 a.m.

Will it actually need to run off the battery for you to use it? I have a 2007 MacBook with no battery in it at all that I used for graphics work. I just keep it plugged in as a work station with an extra monitor. It's just a flat MacMini at this point.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
9/22/21 8:30 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

Ifix it has the battery+tool kit, shipped $93.27.

Newegg has a "genuine" Dell battery for $55.16 shipped.

Ebay "genuine" $40.79

I don't trust ebay, but can I trust Newegg?

That battery is not sold by NewEgg, so you cannot trust it any more than Ebay.   NewEgg will not stand behind anything sold on their "marketplace."   I ran into that with a laptop screen.  I'll always recommend NewEgg, but I will NEVER order from the "marketplace" again.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/22/21 1:00 p.m.

Turns out ifixit does not have the battery that I need. Newegg only sells the battery I need in the marketplace. Are there any other trust worthy sites?

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
9/22/21 2:31 p.m.

Laptop Battery Express

I bought one for my old Gateway from them, it is working very well many months later.

Looks like they have two options for yours.

https://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/Dell-Inspiron-15-7559-Batteries-s/66313.htm

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/21 2:40 p.m.

You might also consider repairing the pack you have.

Google it.  You can take apart your pack and you'll mostly likely find six 18650 batteries.  Replace with known good cells.  You can also get a tester/charger that will tell you which cells are bad.  Sometimes it's just one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/22/21 2:49 p.m.

My wife just replaced the battery in her Dell Inspiron 15. Biggest trick was removing the little battery pigtail as the new one didn't include the pigtail. Turns out that it was pretty much secured to the battery via friction, but we didn't want to force it and break it. I know the new battery came with little Torx screwdrivers. When she gets home, I can get more details. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/22/21 4:32 p.m.

Forgot to mention. If you are cracking it open, think about swapping in a SSD. Prices aren't that bad and the performance boost along with increased battery life are a nice upgrade for an old laptop.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
9/22/21 6:11 p.m.

The Torx size to secure the battery is T8 on a 7559 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

You can take apart your pack and you'll mostly likely find six 18650 batteries.  

18650s are thicker than the laptop.  They're likely 3x flat prismatic cells of some sort. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/21 7:04 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

Oh.. Gotcha.  surprise

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/23/21 8:43 a.m.

IF that's the case, replace. Prismatic are usually Lithium-poly which are the ones that can grenade themselves unless you know what you're doing. Not hard, but probably more than you'd like to deal with.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/23/21 8:48 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

It has a SSD Hard drive :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oc5sK5bGP6SbmJ8yHToHDIBlgPvcMEzpWycgiJ42dVMICHafGnV3ZDF2rWa0mGZ3