fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/5/23 5:09 a.m.

American actor Barry Newman, known to many for his role in the 1971 cult action thriller Vanishing Point, has died.

Newman was 92 when he died on 11 May. At the time of writing, no further information on his death is available.

https://news.yahoo.com/vanishing-point-actor-barry-newman-074819209.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Seems kinda late but just reported.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/5/23 8:21 a.m.

I remember the Dodge Challenger.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/5/23 8:40 a.m.

RIP Barry.  I loved that movie, even if objectively it may not have been that great.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas HalfDork
6/5/23 11:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/6/23 12:05 a.m.

Quite a lot of the movie was shot around here, with the final scene in Cisco, UT. You can see the Grand Mesa (big flat top mountain on the edge of Grand Junction) in the background of a lot of shots. 

RIP Kowalski. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/6/23 7:39 a.m.

Car Chase Wonderland on YouTube has Barry's other car movie, "Fear Is The Key", available for watching the chase scenes in two segments. 1972 Gran Torino driven by Joie Chitwood and Carey Loftin. Carey did the Challenger driving in "Vanishing Point".

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/6/23 12:22 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Never knew about that movie. I assume it's based on the Alistair MacLean novel of the same title?

If so, I'll have to check it out.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/6/23 12:38 p.m.

I feel like most of these 70s car movies need a certain amount of chemical assistance for them to be good.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/6/23 12:40 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Probably.  I do find this one much more re-watchable than Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry or Two Lane Blacktop, though, and I don't partake.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
6/6/23 9:03 p.m.

Another good 70s car chase movie he was in:

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/7/23 8:20 a.m.

Didn't I just say that? frown

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fywUUmPoGSlMLTprH4AiApKGxOiWEV22LycIj0LBSiQfQyAP38Mi6dRe58B4BekX