No politics, no matter how tempting 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/18/20 6:51 p.m.

*pours a 40*

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/18/20 7:01 p.m.

An amazing American to be sure.  They don't make them like her anymore. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/18/20 7:47 p.m.

One of our best who was an inspiration to all the worlds intelligence.  

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/18/20 8:02 p.m.

Things just got a heck of a lot more interesting. 

RIP, Notorious RBG

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/18/20 8:16 p.m.

Despite not agreeing with her politics, I gotta believe she was doing what she saw to be right, and standing up to a lot of powerful people along the way. RIP, and Godspeed. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
9/18/20 8:19 p.m.

RIP

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
9/18/20 8:22 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I think that's the true sign of a good leader and speaker. Someone who is able to present an argument with conviction, someone who is able to offer a glimpse of a position which is not our own. Someone who can make you say " I don't agree with you, but I understand why you believe that and can respect it" . 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/18/20 8:24 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/18/20 8:29 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:

One tough heifer right there, i can respect that. Godspeed your honor.

Geez bro

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/18/20 9:21 p.m.

Much respect for a woman during her time willing and able to stand up for herself and others like her.  Here's one for you RBG.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/18/20 9:24 p.m.

A truly impressive individual who was well respected even by those who disagreed with her. RIP.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/18/20 9:25 p.m.

I've literally been in tears all night. I've known this has been coming for weeks and am still just slammed. I was fortunate enough to meet her acquaintance while inpatient at Hopkins. She opened my eyes to the world being bigger than those who I knew directly and the things having greater meaning and power than what's best for merely them. I was an adult in my thirties and she changed my perspective and opened my eyes and made me a better human. She's my oldest niece's favorite person, the same niece who at the age of four donated bone marrow to keep me alive. This hurts far more than can be imagined, this hurts worse then getting the results of a reoccurance. And it hurts knowing, and understanding, that she won't get the honor of laying in state, as she so richly deserves, due to covid. It takes a remarkable passion to be willing to stand and fight for those with no voice. I've had the privilege of meeting and knowing some great people, she is by far the greatest. And I will miss her, not for her role in duty to this country, but if somebody that when she spoke, you just sat and listened not knowing where it was going to go or what the topic or lesson was, but that you were going to learn and be a better person afterwards. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/18/20 9:53 p.m.

RIP RBG.  You'll be missed.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/18/20 9:54 p.m.

I'll have the flag out tomorrow.

Trying to hold it together here.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/18/20 10:27 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/18/20 11:04 p.m.

In reply to carguy123 :

Clears throat...

Nah, it's not berkeleying worth it. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/18/20 11:07 p.m.

In reply to carguy123 :

If you can't say anything nice...

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
9/19/20 12:01 a.m.
carguy123 said:

I hate to say this, but . . . I don't agree with any of you.

So, somebody died, and you don't wish them to rest in peace? You want zombie Ginsberg?

What' s wrong with you? 2020 is bad enough without zombies.

Jesus berkeleying wept.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/19/20 9:03 a.m.
carguy123 said:

I hate to say this, but . . . I don't agree with any of you.

You see, that's the beauty of our great nation. You don't have to agree and we can still be friends. I didn't always agree with RBG, but I applaud and respect anyone who dedicates their entire life to defending the constitution and those who didn't always have a say. RIP to RBG. Thank you so much for your service. I'm sure we would have been friends. 

Ninja edit. Glad I got to speak my piece before this thread was locked. We had the chance to make this a positive thread, no matter our differences, and we blew it. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
9/19/20 9:16 a.m.

I was reading in her obituary that she considered Justice Scalia to be one of her "best buddies".  That's what we should all aspire to: To be able to be civil, to have opinions, but to be decent and to be excellent to each other. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
9/19/20 9:27 a.m.

In reply to eastpark :

The irony of that should be a wake up call to us all. Think about it. Those who loved Scalia hated RBG and vice versa. When in real life, those two were great friends. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/19/20 9:42 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to carguy123 :

If you can't say anything nice...

If I may... He didn't say anything that wasn't nice. He just said he disagreed. That's OK.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
9/19/20 10:20 a.m.

Hopefully, we can all admire her for her brains and guts regardless of her being well left of the average American.  Besides, let's subscribe to the "rest in peace" principle and not let contention follow someone all the way into the grave.

I can't help but be thinking about the law and precedence of making a Supreme Court appointment during an election year.  I'm no expert but this appears to be a reasonably even-handed treatment of the subject for anyone that's interested:

NBC News Article - June 2018 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/19/20 12:22 p.m.

I have a friend who's a big white dude from the midwest, we are pretty opposite in our experiences and upbringing. He is rather conservative or very, even. We tend to have very conflicting political views though I dont lean to any one side. We will get into arguments, debates, call BS on each other. It can get heated.  But no matter what we we're great friends. We can get into a whole argument and either of us could need the other to drive 5hrs for a favor and we'd do it no problem. 

As a person we are more than just our political views. And I think a lot of people forget that. 

It's as ridiculous as not liking someone or thinking of them as less because of what football team they like.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q2JeqqngUDBnMUW9BQfgyUZEi32Wsin2HoOgv43lZ63lQ25maCUT2OhLuv6qLutq