1 2 3
SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/20 3:50 p.m.
tuna55 said:

She had political leanings which were completely opposite to mine, including of the way in which she read the constitution.

By all accounts, she was honest and kind, generous and hard working. She definitely served our country with all she had. For that I respect her.

While I share your political leanings, I disagree that the only honor due her is that she was honest , kind, and generous.

We need leaders who stand on principle, and who will fight for what is right.  Sometimes we will disagree on what is right.  But we absolutely need principled fighters on both sides.  Not political hacks.

Our country needs honest and vigorous debate on issues with strong smart people defending every position.  We need differing viewpoints.  We don't need a bunch of partisan clones who all stand in line and agree with whatever powerful crackpot is in charge of whoever's party.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a fiery dedicated patriot.  She advanced gender equality rights for both women and men like no other American has.  She fought for our Constitution for her entire life.  We need people like RBG.  On both sides.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
9/21/20 4:27 p.m.

I’d like to believe that her reported final wishes are untrue. It would be out of character. Supreme Court justices are not political positions, no matter how hard people try to frame them that way. They are nominated through a political process, but they do not carry R’s or D’s by their names. They are supposed to be independent, that is why they are appointed for life- to remove them from the political process. Now, they all have their own beliefs and values which the politicians use to gauge how likely they are to be “on their side,” but once on the bench, they are supposed to do their best to interpret and rule on the law. If RBG made that final wish, it would go against what she represented. If she were truly impartial, it wouldn’t matter who replaced her, and she knew the law regarding replacing her. Saying that she requested something different and partisan is a disservice to her if untrue. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/21/20 4:36 p.m.

I think this may come under "things that cannot be spoken", but I agree.  She was quite literally one of a top few people in the world that should be completely aware that a request like that is inappropriate.  I really do hope she didn't actually say that, it does diminish the legacy a tiny bit.  If she did, well, nobody's perfect.  Much respect either way.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/21/20 5:47 p.m.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall her saying something quite the opposite a few years ago regarding another court appointee in an election year. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/20 7:51 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:
tuna55 said:

She had political leanings which were completely opposite to mine, including of the way in which she read the constitution.

By all accounts, she was honest and kind, generous and hard working. She definitely served our country with all she had. For that I respect her.

While I share your political leanings, I disagree that the only honor due her is that she was honest , kind, and generous.

We need leaders who stand on principle, and who will fight for what is right.  Sometimes we will disagree on what is right.  But we absolutely need principled fighters on both sides.  Not political hacks.

Our country needs honest and vigorous debate on issues with strong smart people defending every position.  We need differing viewpoints.  We don't need a bunch of partisan clones who all stand in line and agree with whatever powerful crackpot is in charge of whoever's party.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a fiery dedicated patriot.  She advanced gender equality rights for both women and men like no other American has.  She fought for our Constitution for her entire life.  We need people like RBG.  On both sides.

Truly wise words.  

Toebra
Toebra Dork
9/23/20 12:18 p.m.
barefootskater said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall her saying something quite the opposite a few years ago regarding another court appointee in an election year. 

She did, oddly enough because that is what the Constitution says to do.

E_NinjA
E_NinjA New Reader
9/23/20 3:20 p.m.

I came to this post thinking that I was going to be reading a very "woe is me" set of posts from people who believe that her death was going to mean immense change in their daily lives. What I found, instead, was a great group of people who understand that she means something to both sides of the political spectrum. She never toed the party line, even though leaning significantly left through her time on the court. She was always willing to speak her mind, regardless of who it may anger. I lean quite a bit away from where she did but I believe that she gave everything she had into doing the job the way she believed it should be done.

I am also hopeful that her reported last wishes are untrue. I haven't seen her flip-flop on a stance in any reading I have done, but this would clearly be a change of stance from the last time she spoke on the issue. It seems quite contrary to character, something she seems to have had quite a lot of.

RIP

bruceman
bruceman Reader
9/23/20 5:44 p.m.

I think of her as a Legend

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
9/23/20 6:51 p.m.

I'm not necessarily a complete fan of your Chief Justice, but he has definitely risen to this occasion. As reported by the CBC:

"Her voice in court and in our conference room was soft, but when she spoke people listened," Roberts said.

Her 483 opinions, he said, were written "with the unaffected grace of precision."

The unaffected grace of precision.  I like that.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
9/23/20 11:53 p.m.
Stealthtercel said:

The unaffected grace of precision.  I like that.

The unaffected grace of precision.

Yes, that's good.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aNPBUhNkIpRRSUtDJQZ1EFLCU3mIRLQ6jUETIqMAcZF9HlpGYJWLOKjzhPCAAt0s