Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/27/18 12:08 p.m.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/spongebob-squarepants-creator-stephen-hillenburg-173003126.html

Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of the megahit Nickelodeon cartoon series “SpongeBob SquarePants,” died on Monday. He was 57.

The cause of death was ALS, which Hillenburg revealed he had been diagnosed with in March of last year.

“We are incredibly saddened by the news that Steve Hillenburg has passed away following a battle with ALS,” Nickelodeon said in a statement. “He was a beloved friend and long-time creative partner to everyone at Nickelodeon, and our hearts go out to his entire family. Steve imbued ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ with a unique sense of humor and innocence that has brought joy to generations of kids and families everywhere. His utterly original characters and the world of Bikini Bottom will long stand as a reminder of the value of optimism, friendship and the limitless power of imagination.”

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
11/27/18 12:13 p.m.

Well that just sucks.  What an imagination!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/27/18 12:27 p.m.

Man, that sucks.  DW and I still watch SpongeBob sometimes.  Our kids are 26 and 22.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/27/18 12:32 p.m.

Damn sadDon't forget he worked on another classic, Rocko's Modern Life, before SpongeBob.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/27/18 1:06 p.m.

As someone who never watched SpongeBob as a kid or even with my own kids yet, I love SpongeBob.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/27/18 1:12 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Damn sadDon't forget he worked on another classic, Rocko's Modern Life, before SpongeBob.

I loved Rocko and Heifer, even to the point of ignoring the fact that Hef was a male...

Gone too soon.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
11/27/18 1:15 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Well that just sucks.  What an imagination!

I think it plays better when you do it like this...

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
11/27/18 3:28 p.m.

Just came here to post this sad news.

Rocko’s Modern Life is one of my personal all time favorites, and spongebobisms are still common in my family’s daily communications.

https://youtu.be/R7BiKZbKffk

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/27/18 9:13 p.m.
Duke said:

Man, that sucks.  DW and I still watch SpongeBob sometimes.  Our kids are 26 and 22.

My father can't seem to pass Spongebob if he's flipping through the channels.  LAst year my wife and mother went somewhere and when they came back we had watched about four hours of Spongebob.   

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/28/18 8:45 a.m.
Wally said:
Duke said:

My father can't seem to pass Spongebob if he's flipping through the channels.  LAst year my wife and mother went somewhere and when they came back we had watched about four hours of Spongebob.   

DW and I occasionally go to a sports bar that has good pub food.  There are small TVs in each booth.  They get about 27 sports channels, and Nickelodeon.  Guess which channel we watch.  If we're lucky, it's SpongeBob.  If we're not so lucky, we get to catch up on The Thundermans.

I think the best SBSP episode is the one that's the Crusty Crab training video.  But there are a lot of close seconds:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d6kkkeMFq1DnHTUsV4ErGDjDaXdgZKHkUM4dMHegbjTtPDLUc71O8q4Cw5SDhCAe