1 2 3 4
02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/31/20 5:44 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
02Pilot said:

I'd really like to see them branch out beyond the American V8 comfort zone, and/or (when conditions permit) do some longer multi-part episodes (cheap car cross-country or similar).

On Engine Masters, Dulcich just built up a slant six that had a goal of beating a 383 of the same vintage.  I think they are slowly starting to get there.

Yes, I just saw that episode. I should have mentioned EM, which, while a very different show, is quite informative (to a point). The discussions of specific technical details like cam overlap are really interesting, and the guys clearly have a deep understanding of engine innards. I just wish they wouldn't run that same cut scene and music over and over again....

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/31/20 7:38 p.m.

I realize I may have come across too critical in my earlier post, so just to clear it up:

I would continuously watch the"worst" episode of Roadkill for hours on end, rather than watch another single episode of Gas Monkey Garage or other "make drama" junk E36 M3 'car show'

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
10/31/20 7:52 p.m.
02Pilot said:
Mr_Asa said:
02Pilot said:

I'd really like to see them branch out beyond the American V8 comfort zone, and/or (when conditions permit) do some longer multi-part episodes (cheap car cross-country or similar).

On Engine Masters, Dulcich just built up a slant six that had a goal of beating a 383 of the same vintage.  I think they are slowly starting to get there.

Yes, I just saw that episode. I should have mentioned EM, which, while a very different show, is quite informative (to a point). The discussions of specific technical details like cam overlap are really interesting, and the guys clearly have a deep understanding of engine innards. I just wish they wouldn't run that same cut scene and music over and over again....

I love how many episodes of EM boil down to "We don't fully understand what we saw here"

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/31/20 8:24 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

That's okay, our YouTube is better anyway. wink

https://youtube.com/grassrootsmotorsports

Plus you guys have great taste in the lead cars for your videos.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/31/20 8:36 p.m.

He posts his videos intermittently, and it's obvious he's a better mechanic than videographer, but I enjoy Lucky Costa's videos from his own shop.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/31/20 8:59 p.m.

I love the RK crew, but I don't have Motor Trend On Demand, so I've pretty much replaced RK with Vice Grip Garage. Derek, the VGG guy, is a berkin' hoot! Most of his episodes revolve around him buying some absolutely terrible vehicle sight unseen that hasn't run in years, making it sorta work, and driving it hundreds of miles home. There are others that have done this before, and others will do it after, but no one does it like this guy. Pure entertainment. 

A couple of my favorites:

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/1/20 5:17 a.m.

Derek is an internet icon. If you watch some of his really old stuff it's almost painful. Once he found his voice/character it really took off. Someone needs to do a clip video of all his Derek-isms.

"We're gonna just test on it a bit"

"A fella could..."

"Well, HELP ME UNDERSTAND!"

"Come on now!"

"Sparkolators"

"Lightning wires"

"Just have to eaaaaaze it"

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/1/20 9:17 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to aircooled :

They did one for a cheap car challenge, I think.

Oh, I think I remember that now.  The other car was civic or something.  One of the cars had enough issues that they really couldn't compare them.

I was thinking more along the line of modifying one, kind of how they do with the V8's. Unfortunately rotarys and the performance bits for them are likely a bit too rare / pricey these days.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/1/20 12:43 p.m.

I enjoy most of the RoadKill shows and spin offs. Dirt every Day doesn't do much for me though. Hard to put my finger on why. With Mike in GA, I can see why there is less of him and David together. I have been watching a lot of Finnegans garage on YouTube and its usually pretty good. Engine masters makes me want to build motors in my basement....

Gotta love how Tony busts on the big TV shows, "If we don't sell this car we're gonna lose the shop!"

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/1/20 1:22 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Gotta love how Tony busts on the big TV shows, "If we don't sell this car we're gonna lose the shop!"

I've noticed Frieburger doing that as well, usually at the end of an episode.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/5/20 6:36 p.m.

Ugh.  I hope he doesn't. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/5/20 6:52 p.m.

Isn't that that nice original Caddy that they couldn't bring themselves to defile?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/5/20 6:57 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

It is that Caddy, and no, Mike's not going to cut it up. Those are the rear tires from his Firebird.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/7/20 1:10 a.m.

I've watched a couple RK episodes here and there and it was alright. I miss when Stacey David hosted Trucks.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/7/20 7:56 a.m.

Roadkill is still great.  Roadkill Garage is awesome.  Engine Masters is great.  Dirt Every Day is very entertaining.

Be fortunate there is so much great content out there and dont worry about it changing a little bit.  

One thing I always admired about RK Garage is they do it all with jacks and jackstands, not on a lift with a $100k Snap-On box in the corner.  

I would love to get a good back story of Steve Dulcich - hes an interesting dude.  Hope those guys are reading this - a tour of his shop and how he got where he is would be outstanding!  Has anyone ever noticed the Freiburger will call him dull-SITCH and dull-CHECK within minutes on the same episode/dialog?  I want answers, dammit!

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
11/7/20 8:09 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

Stacey David has been doing stuff with Gearz again. I'm not sure if it's all old episodes making it to YouTube or new content but the algorithms have been finding it for me 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/7/20 8:17 a.m.

Not Roadkill, but I've enjoyed the Iron Resurrection show.  It has a good relaxed vibe which makes it easy viewing.

I've also found myself watching the Bad Chad stuff too.  It's ok, he accomplishes a lot with just a little and quickly.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/19/20 1:27 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Ugh.  I hope he doesn't. 

I feel sick, but that's probably heartburn from the BBQ for dinner. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/19/20 6:13 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It's his car, so of course he can do as he'd like with it, but he should be feeling a heavy dose of shame.  I feel a bit sad seeing this happen.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/19/20 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Nah, this is gonna be awesome. An aircraft carrier Caddy that will do 200mph in the standing mile and go 8s? It's gonna be sick.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
11/19/20 7:58 a.m.

I don't understand why he kept talking about needing to keep the rear seats so people could sit in them and at the same time talking about having a roll cage good for running in the 8's installed.  Those are mutually exclusive things...

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/19/20 8:21 a.m.

Motortrend subscriber here.

RK was great when it was Finnegan and Freiburger, but has really gone down hill.  The show pretty much completely lost me when Freiburger and Dulchich went to the SCCA Solo Nationals and acted like a bunch of shiny happy people and helped delay the event that day.  Feiburger would have kicked anyone who acted like that out of one of his events, so I don't know why he thought it was okay to ack like a dick.

I have a terrible crush Tony Angelo, so I love me some HRG with him and Lucky.

DED has been suprisingly entertaining to me, and I don't do any offroad stuff.

I love Engine Masters from an information standpoint, but I can't stand Dulchich.

RKG is a combination of my least two favorite people, so I pretty much don't care.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/19/20 8:59 a.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It's his car, so of course he can do as he'd like with it, but he should be feeling a heavy dose of shame.  I feel a bit sad seeing this happen.

He showed them cutting up the Caddy on the latest Finnegan's Garage on Youtube.  Like  you say it's his car, but that doesn't mean I approve.  There are plenty other Cadillacs out there that would have been better subjects (and I suspect getting that car to go 200mph in the mile will prove to be futile anyway.)

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/19/20 10:39 a.m.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
11/19/20 10:53 a.m.

Vice grip garage and finnegans garage have pretty much replaced roadkill for me. I subscribed for a bit but I only watch 2 of the shows and didn't think it was worth it anymore. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
szb6ZKtXFcrG2KHofvr6j86PJ9SC9eN00nTvBOnU1f1nEShZ1MAl7dSB8fvIO8Me