1 2
procainestart
procainestart Dork
11/28/11 12:10 p.m.

I injured my ankle and need an alternative to running for a few months. Swimming's not for me; neither is the bike.

What do you know about rowing machines? Is a Concept 2 really the only choice or are there other options that will do the trick?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
11/28/11 12:35 p.m.

I've always taken a fairly minimalist approach to exercise equipment. Equipment tends to take up space, be less useful than you initially think it is, and fall into gradual dis-use.

Suggestion: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-arm-kettlebell-row

This guy is my hero du jour. I found a kettlebell and a stack of his DVD's at target on clearance for 20 bucks--a dollar a pound! The workouts are great. http://www.ryanshanahan.com/ryan.html

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
11/28/11 12:39 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: This guy is my hero du jour. I found a kettlebell and a stack of his DVD's at target on clearance for 20 bucks--a dollar a pound! The workouts are great. http://www.ryanshanahan.com/ryan.html

Would you really call anything using a 20lb kettlebell a workout?

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
11/28/11 12:45 p.m.

Big money for a limited flexibility piece of equipment. If you've got plenty of money and space, not a bad piece to have, but I wouldn't call it a staple piece.

Grab a bench and some free weights. Unlimited possibilities.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/28/11 12:55 p.m.

Rowing machines are a bit passe these days. There aren't really any in the low-end retail market. The ones that are out there are fairly high-end.

There isn't much else out there if you don't want to swim or bike. Might be a good time to try some yoga vids (seriously)

Woody
Woody SuperDork
11/28/11 12:56 p.m.

WWGRMD?

http://hartford.craigslist.org/zip/2724447233.html

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
11/28/11 1:00 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Grab a bench and some free weights. Unlimited possibilities.

Depends on what you are doing. Don't even really need a bench or weights many times.

One of my favorite workouts ever is:

10 pushups 5 pullups 15 crunches

Repeat as many times as possible in 20 minutes. (my best is 18 sets)

procainestart
procainestart Dork
11/28/11 1:34 p.m.

Until I can get back to running, I need something simple, repetitive, aerobic and mindless. I'm better suited to aerobic stuff vs. strength training (and I do weightless exercises almost daily already), hence the rowing.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
11/28/11 1:59 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Would you really call anything using a 20lb kettlebell a workout?

I'm not a huge guy, and I'm old. That said, I'm in decent shape. I would try some of the kettlebell routines before I dismissed them as lightweight stuff. Twenty pounds isn't all that light for some of the exercises. If you're a hulkster, please disregard the above comments.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/28/11 2:20 p.m.
procainestart wrote: Until I can get back to running, I need something simple, repetitive, aerobic and mindless. I'm better suited to aerobic stuff vs. strength training (and I do weightless exercises almost daily already), hence the rowing.

Push ups, pull ups, chin ups, leg lifts, crunches, and for cardio... sit in front of the tube on a cheap CL eliptical, bike, or nordic trac (or rowing machine...). Or... just go for a walk if the leg will work.

jhaas
jhaas Reader
11/28/11 2:22 p.m.

i rowed (on water) for over 10 years. concept 2 is THE machine. still the standard and its a hell of a work out! but not sure how your ankle will like it. have you tried one out for 30-60 mins? does it feel good?

you can get in SICK shape on a erg. you can also use it for other excerises

Sonic
Sonic Dork
11/28/11 3:04 p.m.

I was also a rower in college and will echo what jhaas says: concept 2 or nothing. Within that, the model b is cheap used, for a reason. Step up to the model c or newer, they are worth it.

We have a model c in our home gym as both Chrissy and I used to row. I got it used for $400 I think, which was a good deal at the time.

Before you spend too much time on an erg, please get some instruction on form, as if you do it wrong (nearly every non rower has awful form), you will likely hurt yourself.

They are an awesome workout, and something I could do when my knee was in rough shape.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
11/28/11 3:15 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Depends on what you are doing. Don't even really need a bench or weights many times.

Yep, you're right. I only mentioned the bench because OP said he has a bum wheel. So the bench should make it easier.

Also, Sonic is right on regarding form. I'm not a rower, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... well, not really... Besides cars, my other hobby is weightlifting. Never used a rowing machine, but have heard many stories about people getting hurt because they didn't use them properly. Lots of back injuries, but since you've got a bad ankle, want to make sure you don't hurt the ankle more too.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/28/11 3:19 p.m.

I like our Kettler-Kadett Outrigger style rower.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
11/28/11 4:20 p.m.

I haven't tried it yet but wouldn't buy one without giving it a shot first. Sadly, it might not work: if my ankle were a car, it would've been totaled long ago. We'll see. Meanwhile, I'm going crazy not being able to run.

Thanks for the advice on instruction as well.

jhaas
jhaas Reader
11/28/11 4:27 p.m.

try one out at a gym to see if you like it. the good thing is theres no lateral movement on your ankle. just straight linear.

there are alot of other excerises you can do with it...arms, shoulders, back, etc...

watch this it may help. his ankles dont come off the the foot rest till 6:00 into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmMd7FdAA

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
11/28/11 4:38 p.m.
Sonic wrote: I was also a rower in college and will echo what jhaas says: concept 2 or nothing. Within that, the model b is cheap used, for a reason. Step up to the model c or newer, they are worth it. We have a model c in our home gym as both Chrissy and I used to row. I got it used for $400 I think, which was a good deal at the time. Before you spend too much time on an erg, please get some instruction on form, as if you do it wrong (nearly every non rower has awful form), you will likely hurt yourself. They are an awesome workout, and something I could do when my knee was in rough shape.

I was a serious road cyclist for decades who started sculling about 5 years ago. The past year I've been mostly off the bike since I tweaked my left knee. I can row - hard - but cycling aggravates it.

I found a Concept 2 Model C on craigslist - it needed a new monitor head, so by the time it was fixed I was in for a bit under $500. I absolutely hate it, the way I absolutely hated riding on rollers when I was a bike racer. It's a very pure torture device, and will leave you wasted in no time. As others have said though - it can build fitness amazingly well.

I did 2 bike rides of about an hour last weekend, and provided I spun small gears and took it ~really~ easy going up hill, I was OK. I'm going to unearth the C2 torture rack and see if some high rate, low effort work helps the knee.

Do by all means get some instruction. Sculling in a boat sort of only works one way - you'll eventually sort out the basic parts of the stroke because you'll tire of going swimming when you get it wrong. On an erg though, you can do all manner of injury and some will only be inflicted by long repetition. So watch some videos and take it really easy at first.

Also - much as I hate swimming, have you considered swimming? It always seems to be mentioned as the no-impact rehab sport.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
11/28/11 6:05 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Would you really call anything using a 20lb kettlebell a workout?
I'm not a huge guy, and I'm old. That said, I'm in decent shape. I would try some of the kettlebell routines before I dismissed them as lightweight stuff. Twenty pounds isn't all that light for some of the exercises. If you're a hulkster, please disregard the above comments.

Any weight you can do more than say, 30 reps of is a little silly. At some point, you're past HIIT, Tabata, etc and into infomercial "long and lean" style stuff that's damn near counterproductive. Especially for men.

Now that I'm home I tooled around your boy's website... he's flat-out lying about body fat percentages in his two "before and after" pictures. To the tune of at least 10 percentage points. Maybe not a big deal, but what else is he wrong about?

On topic: I rowed in high school, I've never seen anything used but a Concept2, so that must mean something.

fromeast2west
fromeast2west New Reader
11/28/11 6:20 p.m.

I rowed in college and the Concept 2 was everywhere. It really is a solid piece of equipment.

I had a WaterRower for a while, and there were some things I liked about it (actually enjoyed the water sound, and the action is a lot more similar to actual rowing than the Concept 2). .. but it could be quirky in some ways too. (the foot beds weren't very comfortable and would slip out of adjustment pretty easily, and I wasn't a big fan of the seat... both issues could probably be fixed with some retrofitting)

If I was in the market for another rower, I'd probably go with the WaterRower again.

My current trail/treadmill alternative is a recumbent bike. It's much easier to watch TV or mess around on the computer on the bike than it would be on a rower, and I can still churn and burn calories pretty easily.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
11/29/11 7:06 a.m.

I'm 59 and only started going to the gym less than a year ago. I use the Concept2 every time I visit, without fail. It allows me to do up to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise without anything hurting ,or stiffening up. I can hold my heart rate at my target for long periods. I thought about buying one for home use, but just joined the gym instead. You might consider joining a gym that has monthly dues and just stay until your ankle is better.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
11/29/11 2:09 p.m.

As an ex-rower (I need to get back to it) I agree on the Comcept 2. Great piece of machinery

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
11/23/12 11:09 a.m.

Hate to dredge up an old topic but I'm currently shopping Black Friday deals for another rower. So far I've checked two sites: http://www.fitnessblowout.com/equipment/rowing-machine and http://rowingmachines.zoostores.com/ I've set a limit on my budget for $400 (I know it's not going to get me a Concept 2 but I can't afford one and I had a lot of luck with my cheap VR100 before I had to get rid of it last year).
I was hoping I might be able to see if anybody else on here has seen any deals and might be able to forward the information our way. Thanks!

As far as technique goes I filled out an online form on the Concept 2 website a few years ago and was given a complimentary DVD on proper rowing techniques and some other sales pitch on the Concept 2. The DVD was totally worth it and every once in a while I will get some pamphlets from Concept 2 in the mail. In one of them they had detailed several workout regimes that greatly helped me improve my workout. If anybody else happens to be shopping or just looking into rowers I would recommend checking their website to see if they still have that offer.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
11/23/12 6:43 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: This guy is my hero du jour. I found a kettlebell and a stack of his DVD's at target on clearance for 20 bucks--a dollar a pound! The workouts are great. http://www.ryanshanahan.com/ryan.html
Would you really call anything using a 20lb kettlebell a workout?

yeah, done right, you can get one hell of a work-out with 20# kettlebells .... lifting them once or twice = no ... but multiple sets of 10 - 15 reps = yes ( cardio and muscle building )

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
11/23/12 6:48 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
Yep, you're right. I only mentioned the bench because OP said he has a bum wheel. So the bench should make it easier. Also, Sonic is right on regarding form. I'm not a rower, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... well, not really... Besides cars, my other hobby is weightlifting. Never used a rowing machine, but have heard many stories about people getting hurt because they didn't use them properly. Lots of back injuries, but since you've got a bad ankle, want to make sure you don't hurt the ankle more too.

one of those exercise balls and dumb-bells are also great all around work-outs ... really adds to the core strength

oops, just realized this was an old thread ... hope the ankle is better

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/11/17 9:39 a.m.

Zombie thread guys, canoe deleted 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
raRQ7ZLNIXTxxZ2UUMvcgSgazdsQcMF9nb0ZaqBkNej2NYvjBxJjAxpW6SyWC8Us