Luke
Luke Dork
1/13/09 1:42 a.m.

Awesome 'period' video of the 469hp1987 Yellowbird. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Thomd4BQg&eurl=

It looks like a twitchy, handful of a beast, trying its darnedest to kill its driver, so I can only imagine what the 700hp Ruf 993 featured in the latest GRM must be like.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
1/13/09 7:46 a.m.

No helmet it, looks like its got a pretty good chance of killing him too.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
1/13/09 7:47 a.m.

i heard the 993 has a built in barf bag dispenser as standard equipment....

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/13/09 7:34 p.m.

Is it strange that I would have no desire at all to drive a car like that (is so difficult to control)? There are plenty of fast cars id like to drive, but I dont understand what people like about aircooled 911s and stuff like that.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
1/13/09 8:05 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: Is it strange that I would have no desire at all to drive a car like that (is so difficult to control)? There are plenty of fast cars id like to drive, but I dont understand what people like about aircooled 911s and stuff like that.

I think that it's the edge......knowing that you are ultimately in control...no built in interference. Add that with the already tail happy/on-off turbo characteristics of the older 911 = pure drivers enjoyment.

I'd drive it.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard
1/13/09 8:07 p.m.

Looks like fun.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
1/13/09 10:19 p.m.

That thing seems terrifying to drive. It rotates like an Elise, then slides like a 3rd gen Supra, then wants to snap back like an NSX. Not a good combination. Might be fun in a simulator but I think your stomach would dissolve itself as you actually drive it.

Still not as scary as some old Lambos...at least this thing gives you some warning.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
1/13/09 10:25 p.m.

This video made it's rounds a few years ago, and if I'm remembering right, that is Walter Rohrl at the wheel.

pinoville
pinoville New Reader
1/14/09 12:38 a.m.

In my opinion, after having tracked and raced a 73 911 for 6 years, the the twitchiness is more ill-founded legend rather than fact. Rohrl is driving the car for style, more than speed, BTW.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/14/09 12:54 a.m.

Stefan Roser is the guy who's usually associated with the Yellow Bird and the 'Ring. I suspect it's him in the video.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
1/14/09 1:37 a.m.

I have wanted that car since I saw it in Road & Track as a kid. That was the car that made me a fan of 911s

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
1/14/09 9:20 a.m.

Helmets are not manditory on the 'Ring yet they are for Stock , SCCA solol... duh

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/14/09 10:40 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: Is it strange that I would have no desire at all to drive a car like that (is so difficult to control)? There are plenty of fast cars id like to drive, but I dont understand what people like about aircooled 911s and stuff like that.

The fact that they aren't the easiest cars to master makes them appealing for a ton of enthusiasts. What's the challenge in going fast in a GT-R when any hack can do it? I think the appeal in aircooled Porsches is learning the car's idiosyncrasies and creating a connection between man and machine. It may not be easy to go fast, but once you figure it out you feel like a hero. That, and they sound fantastic at WOT.

I want a mid 80's 911SC very, very badly.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
1/14/09 12:56 p.m.

Yah!, any a-hole can make a FWD car go around a track at a decent pace, hang a 500hp engine off the back of a rear drive and you will soon see what kind of a man you are!

I agree with what was said above, the challenge is the fun. I would have way more fun (if I lived) driving the Yellowbird than a new GT-R.

Cars that try to kill you are way more fun...

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/14/09 1:06 p.m.

You really need to drive a 911 in anger to "get" the handling.

I LOVE air-cooled 911s. No power steering, no power brakes, no traction control, no ABS. They just didn't need any of that garbage.

driver109x
driver109x Reader
1/14/09 2:05 p.m.

The 930 is my dream car. But I'll settle for a 911SC with a targa top.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/14/09 6:57 p.m.

I've seen aerial footage of this car (I think 2 the "Ring) before--never this in-car footage.

Quite a bear to keep on the pavement.

Certainly is a more "pure" driving experience over the current versions w/ all the nannies and 22 years of suspension development.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
1/14/09 10:13 p.m.

OK, I finally took a look at it (I was at work previously).

Looks to me like he might be goofing off a bit on the slow sweepers (drifting them), but it seems like the high speed stuff is just the way it drives. It reminds me of an extreme AutoX setup running a road coarse. Notice that almost any steering input requires an immediate and rather violent counter steer to keep the big tires at the rear.

I still say it would be ball-o-fun to do (after the 20 or so spin-outs learning the handling). Although I suspect if I was driving that car there would be a few motorcyclists in the hospital!

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
1/14/09 11:31 p.m.

You would certainly want to know what you were doing to drive that thing there. Dont they charge like $2500/foot to replace the guardrail if you hit it? I guess id have to drive one to say for sure, but from watching things like that and hearing stories about them, I still think that its a design flaw for a car to be that unstable at speed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ewn95OM99PE2eFA9CiEVAj9cibaPxrTMVZGhmhJ8Jh3pJMAfwxOQcDX5hZQws95C