8 9 10
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/4/19 2:46 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Also, what really does major damage with these hurricanes are all the tornadoes within it. The wind is bad, but those tornadoes might destroy my roof while my neighbor’s stays put. 

Gotcha. I knew hurricanes spawned tornadoes but I was under the impression they were typically not particularly strong, like EF-0/1.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/4/19 3:42 p.m.

The thing about hurricanes and damage is that the time factor is what gets you. Pretty much any home built in Florida after Hurricane Andrew—especially those close to the coast—is built like a tank. And standards jumped again in the early 2000s. 

So while a home and a roof and windows may be easily able to withstand 120mph winds or above, if those winds blow for several hours, a LOT of stuff can happen. That's a lot of time for debris to come flying, or for a tornado to spawn, or for any of a million other things to take place that could cause damage. 

But, yeh, in general, if you have a modern block construction house in Florida that's not in a flood zone, there are few safer places to ride out a storm. But as I've mentioned before, exacuating from a hurricane is not so mch about surviving the storm but surviving the aftermath. yes, you'll probably come through the storm just fine, but are you prepared to live with zero outside infrastructure for the next several days? That's the big question. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
9/4/19 4:03 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Stampie said:
David S. Wallens said:

Next hurricane I'm going to follow your lead on hurricane safety gear. 

and hurricane facial hair.   which i guess is a form of safety gear.   dorian was all like "nah, we're gonna skip DSW's sub."

Actually the helmets  good idea. IIRC many deaths & serious injuries are caused by blows to the head during severe storms.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
9/4/19 4:18 p.m.

heard tell savannah race cancel The VDCA event at Robeling Road for this weekend (9-9/9-10)has been cancelled.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/4/19 5:06 p.m.

A very stark video out of Abaco Bahamas... 

(no audio) 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/4/19 5:42 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Stampie said:
David S. Wallens said:

Next hurricane I'm going to follow your lead on hurricane safety gear. 

and hurricane facial hair.   which i guess is a form of safety gear.   dorian was all like "nah, we're gonna skip DSW's sub."

This reminds me. I need to go to Mr.B's one of these days and get a new lid. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
9/5/19 7:00 a.m.

Power is out.  No coffee.

Poop.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/5/19 7:36 a.m.

Some minor tornados not too far away.  Hopefully the eye stays at least as far offshore as it is now by later tonight when it arrives in my neck of the woods. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/5/19 7:40 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I feel guilty that I came through the same storm with little to no damage while they have such obvious destruction and most unfortunate loss of life. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/5/19 8:18 a.m.

Yeah, this storm was terrible for the Bahamas. It will take years for them to recover. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/5/19 8:52 a.m.

Pretty much a non-event here. Windy and rainy but not too bad. Power is still up. The biggest pain for me will be cleaning all the leaves out of the pool. 

I feel for the people in the Bahamas. Being stuck on a island during a hurricane has to suck pretty bad. Being stuck on it after has to be even worse. 

8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YbuhyaRiOvmRfhMeB23gQ5bnigqf8YrvUzfILSU6gsno2VgcbNOfOdafVYnfSpnb