5 6 7 8 9
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/2/19 3:06 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I think my sister is an idiot.  She is taking her entire family to Disneyworld to get away from the storm.

Is she an idiot or does she know something I don't?

Would you leave south Carolina for Orlando today?

We live about 45 minutes south of Disney world.  Yes, I think your sister is a dingbat, and no, would I  not come here right now. We are still hours away from having it feel like a hurricane, but we are already seeing the rain come and go, so I know we are experiencing outer bands from the storm.

These photos were taken about 2 hours apart.

We went over to my parents house and put down their hurricane shutters earlier today

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/2/19 3:50 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No offense but your sister sounds like my BIL. He's a berkeleying dumbass. He extended his trip at Disney to try and ride out Irma. They closed the park so then his family had to evacuate FL with all the other last minute dumbasses. Pretty sure you got the good genes in your family. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/2/19 4:45 p.m.

Another update from the NHC:

It looks like its forecasted to be more east than the previous forecasts. This is good news. Hopefully it moves further away from the Carolina coasts.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/2/19 4:58 p.m.

Yeah, an eastward slide would be much appreciated. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/2/19 5:04 p.m.

Doesn't it strike y'all as a bit optimistic that it is currently moving at less than 1 mph but in 2 days it will have passed the entire state of Florida? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/2/19 5:19 p.m.

Once it turns north, the speed will pick up. Magnets. 

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
9/2/19 5:21 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

My sister lives just outside of Charleston sc in mt pleasant.  My wife and I live in Summerville sc.  

We are waiting to see what happens with this storm for a day or two.

I think my sister is an idiot.  She is taking her entire family to Disneyworld to get away from the storm.

Last I checked, the storm was still actually headed towards Florida and hadn't turned yet...

Is she an idiot or does she know something I don't?

Would you leave south Carolina for Orlando today?

I'll just leave this here.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/2/19 5:32 p.m.

I heard its supposed to accelerate once it turns north due in part to a high pressure sliding east so it kinda "squeezes" the hurricane up the coast. But yeah, its pretty much stationary over the Grand Bahamas right now.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/2/19 5:50 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Doesn't it strike y'all as a bit optimistic that it is currently moving at less than 1 mph but in 2 days it will have passed the entire state of Florida? 

Yeah that's why we're not even remotely unclenching our cornchutes yet, even though the official forecast has the bulk of the wind staying off shore. We're in a situation now, much like hurricane Matthew in 2016, where a 10 mile shift one way or the other could be a big difference for everyone on the coast. 

Typically, the 3 day "cone" is highly reliable. But big hurricanes also tend to make their own rules. And remember that less than a week ago, this thing was supposed to be a tropical depression fizzling out as it hit Florida with a day of thunderstorms and typical Florida summer weather. Yesterday it had sustained winds over 185 mph and gusts over 225 mph, and maybe the most perfectly circular eye I've ever seen in a hurricane that large. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/2/19 6:00 p.m.

I am officially on lockdown. Dorian has put a curfew in for tomorrow night from 6p to 11a in central florida. It's looking pretty likely right now that i will be on said lockdown through at least wednesday, and proceed to get my ass kicked for the rest of the weekend, cleaning up the mess I just sold everyone. Life of a pimp. Or a guy in a red ace shirt. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/2/19 6:05 p.m.

In reply to Karl La Follette :

That song is amazing, thank you for sharing it!

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/2/19 6:17 p.m.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/2/19 6:55 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

accurate. I'm already bored. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/2/19 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/2/19 7:40 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

The book of faces has been inundated with them. Several of them are quite funny. 

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
9/2/19 7:41 p.m.

Still waiting. We got some bands that came through but nothing crazy.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/2/19 8:01 p.m.

Just incase you wanted to know what the wind looks like across the country. 

http://hint.fm/wind/

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/2/19 8:07 p.m.

Another interesting graphic I came across. This storm is pretty intense, but also fairly small. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/2/19 8:08 p.m.

I'm just below Palm Beach 2 miles from ocean. So like slippery we had a few showers during the day and it's been been kinda windy the past couple hours but only like 1/2" of rain so far. Worked in the yard most of the afternoon till dark. The fact that it's currently stationary and the eye is only about 90 miles away is unnerving as it's still directly East of here and was traveling primarily West before it stopped. It's gotten a bit weaker but it's still a Cat 4 which has a lot of power, Bahamas must be getting hammered!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/2/19 8:15 p.m.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
9/2/19 8:17 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

One of the reports said that the storm was going to reshape the Bahamas. This is terrible for them.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
9/2/19 8:39 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

One of the reports said that the storm was going to reshape the Bahamas. This is terrible for them.

Quite likely to scour away quite a bit of island.  Amazingly powerful storm 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/2/19 8:49 p.m.

I forgot who posted this here a while back but thought it was a good repost. Similar to what Toyman01 posted.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-76.65,28.22,1420

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/2/19 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Would not surprise me if almost everything on the island was destroyed. Lots of people didn't evacuate to shelters, then the rescue people couldn't go out to rescue people. The government officials instructed people during broadcasts before it hit to keep tools with then to use to cut through the roofs from inside the attics. Imagine being in the really short southern attic with your family with one holding a flashlight while you try to cut a hole through the roof while the water's still rising. Then climb out into 150 MPH wind and try to stay on the roof.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/2/19 8:53 p.m.

The talk is that it would be a Cat 6 storm if there was such a thing as a Cat 6.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WV0nlEw2iisrROPTru3e4aoQqy5bCpksPqgXv7MF5vJs7lNnoGLJSzBn5CdDbiIf