6 7 8 9 10
hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
9/2/19 8:57 p.m.

When I was at ACE yesterday, picking up some SS screws for a project, there was a guy there telling the salesman that he was heading towards the East coast (I'm on the West coast) to scour the beach for treasure stirred up by the storm. He stated that after past storms he had uncovered 3 relics and he was hopeful this storm would be "productive."

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/2/19 9:04 p.m.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168689285819772930

I've never been (nor have I really looked at pictures) of the Bahamas.  Apparently, this video should be showing lots of houses.....

-Rob

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/2/19 9:20 p.m.

I'm late to this thread because I was at Lime Rock for the long weekend and I'm now just looking at this. Annie and I are hoping for the best for you folks on the East Coast of Florida. All the best to you. We sincerely hope it works out well for the East Coast of Florida. We love you folks!

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/2/19 9:20 p.m.

I'm late to this thread because I was at Lime Rock for the long weekend and I'm now just looking at this. Annie and I are hoping for the best for you folks on the East Coast of Florida. All the best to you. Really and sincerely. Annie and I hope it works out well for the East Coast of Florida. We love you folks! How else can I say it? We're hoping all goes well. We are thinking of you.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/2/19 9:51 p.m.
hobiercr said:

When I was at ACE yesterday, picking up some SS screws for a project, there was a guy there telling the salesman that he was heading towards the East coast (I'm on the West coast) to scour the beach for treasure stirred up by the storm. He stated that after past storms he had uncovered 3 relics and he was hopeful this storm would be "productive."

After events like this sometimes things like dug out canoes and other artifacts are exposed. I'm sure occasionally someone finds "valuable treasure". For some folks it's a hobby and there's all kinds of modern electronic instruments available now.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/2/19 10:27 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

It went from 185mph this morning, to 150 mph in the middle of the day. Then around dinner time they were saying 145mph, now 130mph.(130mph is the bottom of CAT 4, so I'm guessing it will be a CAT 3 with the next update.)  I like that trend, but it sucks for all the Bahamians since it seems it there island that is helping slow things down a bit. The other effect that goes hand in hand with it slowing down is the storm is larger in size as it has decreased in intensity.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
9/2/19 10:48 p.m.
NOT A TA said:
hobiercr said:

After events like this sometimes things like dug out canoes and other artifacts are exposed. I'm sure occasionally someone finds "valuable treasure". For some folks it's a hobby and there's all kinds of modern electronic instruments available now.

When I was in college in St. Petersburg, I found a pleistocene horse tooth at Indian Rocks Beach after a tropical storm in the Gulf. 

The beach had been wiped clean and was as smooth as if it had been graded, yet the fossil was laying right on top of the sand.

For me, that was a treasure.

TJL
TJL Reader
9/3/19 5:48 a.m.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/3/19 8:02 a.m.

I have a friend who lives on Tybee Island. She noticed something odd this morning. 

Absolutely zero shells on the beach. 

Why would that be??

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/3/19 9:26 a.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to Dr. Hess :

It went from 185mph this morning, to 150 mph in the middle of the day. Then around dinner time they were saying 145mph, now 130mph.(130mph is the bottom of CAT 4, so I'm guessing it will be a CAT 3 with the next update.)  I like that trend, but it sucks for all the Bahamians since it seems it there island that is helping slow things down a bit. The other effect that goes hand in hand with it slowing down is the storm is larger in size as it has decreased in intensity.

Down to 115 mph now. If the trend continues it will be a CAT 2 (96-110 mph) sooner than the official track shows.The news reports shown on Google News still say it is a strong category 4. Weather channel website seems to have good real time data.

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
9/3/19 10:09 a.m.

Cat 2 as of the 11am update. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/3/19 10:22 a.m.

Man, tomorrow is gonna suck. I'm gonna be telling a whole E36 M3load of people that panic bought E36 M3 ahead of this hurricane that we aren't doing returns on hurricane supplies. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
9/3/19 10:29 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Man, tomorrow is gonna suck. I'm gonna be telling a whole E36 M3load of people that panic bought E36 M3 ahead of this hurricane that we aren't doing returns on hurricane supplies. 

Remind them that hurricane season has just started and they will have plenty other chances if they just hang on to it and make a proper emergency kit.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/3/19 10:36 a.m.
Mndsm said:

Sucks to be you my friend, but this is absolutely the best outcome we could hope for. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/3/19 10:44 a.m.
Slippery said:

Cat 2 as of the 11am update. 

Very good news. The forecast track had it not dropping to a 2 until it was up close to Cape Hatteras.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/3/19 11:04 a.m.

Well, it is on the move again at 2 mph and will be entering the warm Gulf Stream so it could restrengthen. Hopefully not.   

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/3/19 11:50 a.m.

All our customers are closed or down to essential personnel only, and the guys want to work for the hours. So we are doing hurricane prep Express Entrance style. Catching up on truck maintenance. New radiator in my truck, tires and a oil change on one of the others. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/3/19 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

My mom was complaining about how hard it is to get around with 26 reversed all the way to Columbia. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/3/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's doubly irritating when you realize how empty it is. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/3/19 12:33 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
Mndsm said:

Sucks to be you my friend, but this is absolutely the best outcome we could hope for. 

That's alright. I'll take this as a win. We get to go to Disney Sunday night for not so scary. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/3/19 12:41 p.m.

Yeah, totally happy we're not (likely) going to get swept into the sea. It hasn't passed us yet, but the forecast is looking good. 

Just home working today, so it's like my usual Friday except my wife's home with me.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/3/19 12:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Window sticker for a Hyundai?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/3/19 12:51 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Window sticker for a Hyundai?

Yup. This week's test car.