1 2
edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/16/19 9:26 a.m.

My preferred safety glasses are whatever my company supplies. Mostly because they are free and being a large company they dont skimp on safety.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/16/19 12:02 p.m.

I use 3M glasses that I buy in bulk on Amazon, and I flood my workspace with them.* After all, you’re far more likely to wear them if there’s a set right beside you. The bulk pricing is low enough that I don’t care if I scratch them, but I haven’t actually done that yet. They seem to be quite resistant to fogging. 

$1.50 each.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JIN72U6

*i do the same with tape measures and Sharpies. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/16/19 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I did this at Keith’s suggestion a while back and it’s great. Safety glasses always at hand and no scratches and little fogging to deal with since they’re fresh clean and new. I haven’t even worn one set out yet in a year of regular use. My eyes thank you. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/16/19 12:34 p.m.

Glad it worked for you and I'm not just crazy. Phew.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/16/19 1:35 p.m.

I've been trending that direction too - I'm up to about 5 pair around the shop in various states of beat-to-hell. I added Keith's link to my Amazon list though, and next time I feel like I need a pair I'm ordering the 20 pack.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/16/19 5:24 p.m.

One anti fogging trick is to coat the inside of the lenses with shaving cream and wipe it off. It leaves behind an anti fog layer. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/16/19 5:27 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

, and I flood my workspace with them.*

All that does is leave you with a huge pile of tape measures out in the shop by the miter saw, and none in the house where you are installing the baseboards.  Or vice versa.

thunder8
thunder8 New Reader
1/16/19 6:08 p.m.

I can't see the benefit to wearing safety glasses.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/16/19 8:55 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Keith Tanner said:

, and I flood my workspace with them.*

All that does is leave you with a huge pile of tape measures out in the shop by the miter saw, and none in the house where you are installing the baseboards.  Or vice versa.

You’re not completely wrong. Mostly it’s about improving the odds. 

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
1/16/19 9:05 p.m.
thunder8 said:

TO make the dangerous thing you're doing more difficult by collecting sweat to block your view or falling off right before you catch your finger in a grinding wheel.

MrSmokey
MrSmokey New Reader
1/16/19 10:38 p.m.
thunder8 said:

Because you didn’t wear safety glasses when you should’ve? wink

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/19 6:57 a.m.

I don’t know what the difference is, but I have an expensive pair of safety glasses. They don’t fog. 

Maybe the answer is don’t buy cheap safety glasses?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/19 7:10 a.m.
thunder8 said:

I said that for decades. The truth is I was just plain lucky, and stubborn as a mule.

Once I learned to wear them regularly, they are easy to work with. 

The problem wasn’t the glasses. It was me. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
1/17/19 7:27 a.m.

I have had to migrate toward bifocal safety glasses as I noticed i was having more trouble reading small print on labels.

Still trying to find the right style of combination safety/magnifier locations for general use and machining use.

Also purchasing in bulk when I figure it out, along with other safety stuff like hearing protection.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
1/17/19 8:05 a.m.

Having had metal removed from my eye as well, I am a fan of the V-Maxx Goggles when stuff starts to fly. 

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
1/17/19 8:29 a.m.

In reply to thunder8 :

I see what you did there.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
1/17/19 8:38 a.m.

For non-prescription safety glasses at work, we provide our employees the basic wrap-around style as the default.  They're effective and inexpensive.  No problem with the guys having a couple of pairs in their locker or toolbox, and a set in their car.   

We also have some with bifocal-style magnifiers for our more, ahem, "experienced" workers.  

Last, we have safety glasses that fit over most prescription glasses.  I hate wearing glasses over glasses myself, but it is an option.  We encourage employees who require prescriptions to get prescription safety glasses.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/19 2:04 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant :

Mine are prescription.

My company has a policy that everyone must wear safety glasses 100% of the time.  Once I made the case that I needed prescriptions to do my job, they were happy to pay for them.  

I'm pretty sure most companies would be in the same boat.  It's an easy way to get premium pricey safety glasses at no cost.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6MieNp50XzjMLHGkxiRvQ7sH5luFGX78hWITwVOB24ySVYE3iRxO9lc22BS2ETnR