Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
12/17/14 5:57 a.m.

In reply to aircooled:

I'm guessing all 49cc 2 wheel vehicles.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/17/14 7:03 a.m.
aircooled wrote: You guys are talking about mopeds: bikes with pedals and 49cc motors, right? I haven't seen one of those around for a long time. Must be a more rural / college town thing. Seems to me a moped on a road is essentially the same as a bicycle, just treat them the same. What happens when a bicycle goes down a 45 mph limit road? (I can't imagine how small a collision policy on a moped would be, I mean, how much damage could you possibly do?)

see them here …not as often as the scooters of the same size … as to crashes with a car … big damage can result … 25 - 30 mph crash … result = lots of damage to your car

as for those that say "are they still around" ? 10 sec of google found this

http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/38_93/products_id/16889

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/17/14 7:06 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
Cotton wrote: I think license, registration, and insurance should be required for any motorized vehicle on the road.
This, Indiana just required registration for sub 50cc.....I think they need to require insurance and licenses though.

it's the lack of license requirement that is the attraction … assume a suspended license, for whatever reason, that person still needs to get to work, the store … whathaveya … while I dislike intensely being caught behind one (second or third car back) … just pass them dammit … they're treated like a bicycle for rules to pass (i.e. crossing the yellow line to make the pass)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/17/14 8:19 a.m.

To technically be a modped, it must have pedals. The posted link doesn't. They are pretty much now linked in with <50cc scooters.

I suspect this bill is to get around some definencies in our DUI law, which lawyer-politicians pass suitably worded to pad their lawyer ass pockets. A moped is not considered a motor vehicle in SC so, you can ride one drunk as a skunk and can't be charged. At least that is the way is was.

And the man who filed the bill is a Baptist deacon, not that there's anything wrong with that.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
12/17/14 8:24 a.m.

I can relate to all the frustration discussed about mopeds put-putting along.

As far as making them illegal, I'm against that. This is another attack at slowly eroding our personal freedoms. Those attacks are always made to sound like a logical argument.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/17/14 8:53 a.m.

All I can think about is the fat chick and a Moped joke...

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta New Reader
12/17/14 9:04 a.m.

In Ohio, mopeds are legal for 14- and 15-year-olds to ride...which means they are a great way to teach kids about the freedom and responsibility of owning a motor vehicle before they turn 16 and jump into driving.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/17/14 9:08 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: A moped is not considered a motor vehicle in SC so, you can ride one drunk as a skunk and can't be charged. At least that is the way is was.

Maybe they need to change the DUI laws instead. Laws vary by state, but in Minnesota you can get charged with drunk driving on anything - doesn't matter if it's a moped, a bicycle, a horse, or a lawn mower.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/17/14 9:20 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
yamaha wrote:
Cotton wrote: I think license, registration, and insurance should be required for any motorized vehicle on the road.
This, Indiana just required registration for sub 50cc.....I think they need to require insurance and licenses though.
it's the lack of license requirement that is the attraction … assume a suspended license, for whatever reason, that person still needs to get to work, the store … whathaveya … while I dislike intensely being caught behind one (second or third car back) … just pass them dammit … they're treated like a bicycle for rules to pass (i.e. crossing the yellow line to make the pass)

I understand that, it could be an "Available to anyone" type of license for all I care. To be honest, the insurance is the biggest part to me. I've seen these shiny happy people hit people when running stoplights and signs before.....and, guess who gets screwed by all that. The person who gets hit.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/17/14 9:30 a.m.

As a nation, we need to be mobilized. The day of the car as mass transportation for everyone is coming to and end. It is just to expensive to sustain and will get worse a the new generation continues to opt out of car ownership. I know it is hard for this crowd to accept that, but purchase price, insurance, gas and maintenance has pushed cars beyond the wage levels of today's young (under 30)workforce. What money they do make, they need to cover inflated housing and food cost. $15/hour, if you can find it, does not cover a car anymore.

What the Government should do is support a program where they subsidize the manufacture of 50cc mopeds made in Amurica that do not go over say 25 mph, get some huge mileage number, and emit low emissions. Treat them like bicycles and include in the sales price a program to cover third party liability for any damage the riders might do.

This would be good for the economy, it would get cars off the road, it would save on national fuel consumption and it would force us to drive like Europeans and Asians and who live in a perpetual dodge-ball relationship with the scooter world. It would also supply a steady stream of consumers to the hospital industry in the form of trauma and rehab patients. All part of keeping the economic pot from stagnating.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
12/17/14 10:01 a.m.
bluebarchetta wrote: In Ohio, mopeds are legal for 14- and 15-year-olds to ride...which means they are a great way to teach kids about the freedom and responsibility of owning a motor vehicle before they turn 16 and jump into driving.

In TN motorcycles under a certain CC are legal for 14 year old and up to ride. You need to be licensed (written and riding tests), registered, and insured. I got my motorcycle license when I was 14 and my daily transportation was a Honda NX 125 dual sport.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/17/14 10:23 a.m.
wbjones wrote: ...as for those that say "are they still around" ? 10 sec of google found this http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/38_93/products_id/16889

OK. But when I think of a moped. I think of this:

not this (which I think technically really is a scooter):

To be realistic though, NO ONE peddles a moped (except to start it). Even the older ones where clearly just a way to skirt the law and push a powered bicycle to the extreme.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/17/14 10:27 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: A moped is not considered a motor vehicle in SC so, you can ride one drunk as a skunk and can't be charged. At least that is the way is was.
Maybe they need to change the DUI laws instead. Laws vary by state, but in Minnesota you can get charged with drunk driving on anything - doesn't matter if it's a moped, a bicycle, a horse, or a lawn mower.

Fat chance anything useful is going to pass. They just updated the law a couple of years ago and it was a compromise. Don't forget, the politicians, who are mostly lawyers, don't want a strong DUI law.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/17/14 10:38 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: As a nation, we need to be mobilized. The day of the car as mass transportation for everyone is coming to and end. It is just to expensive to sustain and will get worse a the new generation continues to opt out of car ownership. I know it is hard for this crowd to accept that, but purchase price, insurance, gas and maintenance has pushed cars beyond the wage levels of today's young (under 30)workforce. What money they do make, they need to cover inflated housing and food cost. $15/hour, if you can find it, does not cover a car anymore. What the Government should do is support a program where they subsidize the manufacture of 50cc mopeds made in Amurica that do not go over say 25 mph, get some huge mileage number, and emit low emissions. Treat them like bicycles and include in the sales price a program to cover third party liability for any damage the riders might do. This would be good for the economy, it would get cars off the road, it would save on national fuel consumption and it would force us to drive like Europeans and Asians and who live in a perpetual dodge-ball relationship with the scooter world. It would also supply a steady stream of consumers to the hospital industry in the form of trauma and rehab patients. All part of keeping the economic pot from stagnating.

Sounds like a pipe dream utopia.....

I'd personally waterboard anyone who even considered implementing such a thing until they were brainwashed with "Sportscars good, mass transit the devil"

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/17/14 11:42 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: To technically be a modped, it must have pedals. The posted link doesn't. They are pretty much now linked in with <50cc scooters. I suspect this bill is to get around some definencies in our DUI law, which lawyer-politicians pass suitably worded to pad their lawyer ass pockets. A moped is not considered a motor vehicle in SC so, you can ride one drunk as a skunk and can't be charged. At least that is the way is was. And the man who filed the bill is a Baptist deacon, not that there's anything wrong with that.

you're right … I mistook the pic for having pedals … not sure about SC, but here in neighboring NC you can still be charged with DWI … cases involving DWI on riding lawn mowers, bicycles, horse, golf carts ….

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/17/14 11:53 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: As a nation, we need to be mobilized. The day of the car as mass transportation for everyone is coming to and end. It is just to expensive to sustain and will get worse a the new generation continues to opt out of car ownership. I know it is hard for this crowd to accept that, but purchase price, insurance, gas and maintenance has pushed cars beyond the wage levels of today's young (under 30)workforce. What money they do make, they need to cover inflated housing and food cost. $15/hour, if you can find it, does not cover a car anymore. What the Government should do is support a program where they subsidize the manufacture of 50cc mopeds made in Amurica that do not go over say 25 mph, get some huge mileage number, and emit low emissions. Treat them like bicycles and include in the sales price a program to cover third party liability for any damage the riders might do. This would be good for the economy, it would get cars off the road, it would save on national fuel consumption and it would force us to drive like Europeans and Asians and who live in a perpetual dodge-ball relationship with the scooter world. It would also supply a steady stream of consumers to the hospital industry in the form of trauma and rehab patients. All part of keeping the economic pot from stagnating.

don't see this ever happening … I've ridden a bicycle in the winter … not fun, I've also done so in the rain, can't imagine trying this in the snow …

have you ever tried to carry home 3 or 4 bags of groceries on ANY kind of 2 wheeler, or anything else bigger than would fit in some saddle bags ?

public transportation is, for all intents and purposes, non existent here and in most rural areas … and not everywhere has weather conducive to, open to the elements, transportation … put your suit and tie on and go to work in a heavy downpour .. then come back with you recommendations for doing away with personal cars

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
12/17/14 12:44 p.m.
wbjones wrote: don't see this ever happening … I've ridden a bicycle in the winter … not fun, I've also do so in the rain, can't imagine trying this in the snow … have you ever tried to carry home 3 or 4 bags of groceries on ANY kind of 2 wheeler, or anything else bigger than would fit in some saddle bags ?

You'd be surprised at the number of people riding around Minneapolis in the middle of winter with all kinds of cargo on their bikes.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/17/14 12:52 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Sounds like a pipe dream utopia..... I'd personally waterboard anyone who even considered implementing such a thing until they were brainwashed with "Sportscars good, mass transit the devil"

Hey...you should have been around when I told this board back in 2005 that GM was going to go tits-up. Bout got linched. This E36 M3s not that hard to see.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/17/14 1:40 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

The good thing is with your vision is that all those berkeleytard members of my generation will congregate in cities and not actually bothering me that much. Because well, I have a lot of motor vehicles and I don't even make $15/hr

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kpfyObaFmsEnBAz2anYLbGu8Czhn78MS6Vbp3EDF46lgkIuhyni5y5Cc8ZMeYo5c