1 2 3
ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/7/08 3:17 p.m.

Hey all,

My current circumstances have me looking for extra income. I've got a good, stable 8:00-5:00 gig, but would like to find something that would generate some income during the other hours of the day. I dropped my real estate license, so that's out (rough market to be a part time realtor). I do have a Class E "Chauffer's" driver license. So I could do something like towing or limo driving or something. I have limited experience towing. Back when I was in college I did it long enough to get trained. I have my doubts about whether it would make enough money to be worthwhile. Courier work or delivery would be cool...but probably not much demand for off-hours like I have available...or in my 100K population town.

Anything technical/mechanical or driving related would be up my alley. I'm a mechanical engineer, used-to-be race mechanic, and a car guy in general.

The discussion doesn't have to be about me, in particular...I guess I'm looking for part-time evening and/or night job situations that folks have had good or bad experiences with. I figure it will open my scope a bit to things I might not have yet discovered.

My perfect job would be something where I got paid to sleep ;). lol...

A fly-in race mechanic gig would be great...but in my experience, the pay typically isn't worth the effort (since there's lots of guys who will do it for cheap/free).

Clem

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
10/7/08 3:20 p.m.

I have always said that I need a really high paying part-time job.

And then my wife says: who doesn't?

mtn
mtn Dork
10/7/08 3:20 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: My perfect job would be something where I got paid to sleep ;). lol...

I've got that! Sort of... Donating blood plasma.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/7/08 3:23 p.m.
mtn wrote:
ClemSparks wrote: My perfect job would be something where I got paid to sleep ;). lol...
I've got that! Sort of... Donating blood plasma.

Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt I could sleep during something like that. I don't know what all is inovled, but I assume there are needles...and that'll wake me up for sure. ;) It's an idea though...

Clem

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/7/08 3:29 p.m.

offer service as an off-hours small job mechanic? brake jobs, oil changes, plugs, etc.. could bring in some decent cash. find out what they have, what they need then show up with parts and charge them parts cost + $20-25 an hour.

$200 beater and deliver pizza?

i worked about 18 extra hours a week at a borders at the beginning of this year until i got overtime at my main place of employment for a few months. i knew i could walk into virtually any retail gig for part time no problem so i picked someplace that was literally across the street from where i live and that sold stuff i was interested in. pay was crap ($8) but super low stress and the only drawback to my quality of life was the time. now that we've had to cut back overtime at my work to regular hours, i'm looking for something new as well. I went to school for industrial design and am working as a draftsman so i'm in very similar shoes. what graphics packages do you know? could you pick up part time or freelance cad or solidworks work?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/7/08 3:37 p.m.

I hear that contract killing pays really well.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
10/7/08 3:44 p.m.

Not as well as it used to, Outsourcing really killed the market locally. Why pay a local $10K when you can get gypsies to do it for the meat?

I am considering starting a religion, again... this time it will be a "For Profit" entity with a "topless" mass every thursday night.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/7/08 3:46 p.m.

Mixing Scientology and the brilliance of P.T. Barnum?

Or have you just been reading Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" recently?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/7/08 3:47 p.m.

On a serious note, how about freelance writing? Or are you looking for something that will be consistent?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/7/08 3:47 p.m.

we had a couple of guys that were DPS mechanics 8-5 and were parts sales managers in the evenings at the Autozone i worked at, you might give that a shot

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
10/7/08 3:50 p.m.

The former.

The sisters are referred to as "nums"

Wine? Pfffft! Leinenkugels!

The priest will NOT drive a Cadillac, but might autocross a BMW 3 series on Sunday morning.

All race, creeds, sexual orientation, previous religious beliefs and tints are welcomed. Tints, I SAID TINTS, you sickos.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/7/08 3:54 p.m.
John Brown wrote: All race, creeds, sexual orientation, previous religious beliefs and tints are welcomed. Tints, I SAID TINTS, you sickos.

But you also mentioned topless mass...

Hmm... I think it might be time for a resurrection of the:

Paved Church of the Heavenly Cone!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/7/08 3:54 p.m.
bluej wrote: offer service as an off-hours small job mechanic? brake jobs, oil changes, plugs, etc.. could bring in some decent cash. find out what they have, what they need then show up with parts and charge them parts cost + $20-25 an hour.

I could do that, I suppose. It's coming onto winter though and I don't have a shop...that could make for very hard-earned and/or sporadic income. Craigs list would be my friend...I'll put some thought into that. I've always thought housecalls could be the ticket.

$200 beater and deliver pizza?

Well...I already drive a $200 beater, so it could be a possibility. The thing is that you regularly hear about delivery drivers being assaulted and robbed in my area. So...my self-preservation reflex kicks in...but definitely another one to look into, thanks!

Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/7/08 3:57 p.m.
Salanis wrote: On a serious note, how about freelance writing? Or are you looking for something that will be consistent?

I'd love it! I have no idea where to start, though. My discipline for such a thing might be lacking what with all the projects I have going (House, kids, divorce, many, many, automotive and cycle projects).

Are you saying just start writing stuff and sending it to folks unsolicited...or is there some network to tap into of folks who need certain things?

Any insight appreciated! Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/7/08 4:00 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: we had a couple of guys that were DPS mechanics 8-5 and were parts sales managers in the evenings at the Autozone i worked at, you might give that a shot

Between this idea and the proximity (as noted by Blue J) of O'reilly's to me...this could have serious potential. I'd love to deliver for one of these places, but I'm sure they probably only deliver during the typical business hours.

Cool benefit would be employee discounts, though I really don't have much budget for car parts anyway (thus the second job) ;).

Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/7/08 4:02 p.m.
Paved Church of the Heavenly Cone!

I attend the "Church of the Rusty Auto Part" on a regular basis...

Clem

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/7/08 4:05 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote:
Salanis wrote: On a serious note, how about freelance writing? Or are you looking for something that will be consistent?
I'd love it! I have no idea where to start, though. My discipline for such a thing might be lacking what with all the projects I have going (House, kids, divorce, many, many, automotive and cycle projects). Are you saying just start writing stuff and sending it to folks unsolicited...or is there some network to tap into of folks who need certain things?

Pick up a copy of the latest Writer's Market. Talk with people who do freelance writing. Figure out what you want to write about. Start sending query letters.

cwh
cwh Dork
10/7/08 5:19 p.m.

If you have the cojones for it, how about repo work? I did this as a kid 30 years ago, but it's way different now. I kinow it does pay quite well, and stories you can tell your grandkids!!

integraguy
integraguy Reader
10/7/08 6:28 p.m.

Two thoughts:

1.)in the current economic climate, a tow truck driver will probably be in demand. Either to repo vehicles, or to remove abandoned vehicles from municipal roads.

2.) I deliver pizzas. I'm scared somewhat sh88less that i will be robbed by some nitwit who doesn't realize I am not allowed to carry more than $20 in change on me. We have had 1 or 2 drivers at my store robbed since I started there, the store was robbed and the asst. manager was shot at by a shotgun wielding pinhead, and I was assaulted by a drunken customer soon after starting work. It's a sucky job and a lot, a mean A LOT of customers have no clue about what a tip is...or act dumb. But on good nights i can make $7.50 to $10.00 and hour PLUS minimum wage.

Type Q
Type Q Reader
10/7/08 7:15 p.m.

If you are an engineer by training and can write well, I think you could pick up some technical writing work. This could be a good deal for a small business that doesn't need a full time tech writer. I wonder what it you would have to learn to write patent applications?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy New Reader
10/7/08 7:52 p.m.
Type Q wrote: If you are an engineer by training and can write well, I think you could pick up some technical writing work. This could be a good deal for a small business that doesn't need a full time tech writer. I wonder what it you would have to learn to write patent applications?

Mabye somebody can help me with this; what does being an "engineer" mean to you or by definition in the states? I don't know of any engineer here with their 4 year degree that would be looking for part time work (ie: they are making good monies). I know the economy has taken a tumble but...

Since people are mentioning technical writing work, are you more akin to our technologist then (2 year diploma)?

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
10/7/08 8:54 p.m.

In my experience, an engineer is someone who knows everything about everything. I could be wrong though, seeing as how I'm not an engineer,

Wally
Wally SuperDork
10/8/08 1:34 a.m.

He drives the train

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
10/8/08 5:52 a.m.
Wally wrote: He drives the train

I'd rather be the caboose.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/8/08 6:05 a.m.