grover
grover Dork
4/12/20 11:22 a.m.

My wife and I are both currently without real income and have placed our house on the market. It's a great place in a city we love, but we have a good bit of equity and I'm honestly not sure what is going to happen with our business or the housing market. 
my issue is this: before this house I had never had a shop with all my tools and everything spread out and certainly had not moved in the middle of a project. So now, I have a house on the market and my second garage/shop is in the middle of a F100 restoration. We're planning on moving somewhere near Atlanta, Chattanooga, Knoxville etc if I get a job- but how in the world do you move all of this stuff, including a truck with a motor nearly done but not in said truck. 
surely others have done this before. I'm in west palm beach so it's going to be a long move wherever we decide to go. 
should I just pay someone to finish the motor (it's got a broken exhaust manifold bolt I can't unstick) and get it finished ASAP? If I can't do that- make multiple trips? Try and sell? 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UltraDork
4/12/20 11:26 a.m.

It's gonna be a clusterberk no matter what you do, but it can be done. Storage to buy yourself some time is key.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/12/20 11:28 a.m.

Do you want to keep the truck after it's done?

If so, pay someone to finish the motor if you have the cash.

oldopelguy (Forum Supporter)
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/12/20 11:59 a.m.

It's a pickup. 

Load all the parts into the cab or back, strapping and packing them down like you were going to drive it.  Load the heavy stuff in the front of the bed and/or drop the engine back in place just for the move. Buy a cheap aluminum topper for $50 on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace and either rent a home depot flatbed to bring it home or find someone with a truck you can borrow.  (Any pickup can bring the topper to you with a couple of 2x4s across the bed rails.)

Load the whole works onto a rental trailer, keeping in mind that if there's no engine it might need to be loaded backwards. It's going to suck. Buy or borrow a winch or big come-a-long.

Unloading at the other end will be easier, and the topper will give you some time to figure things out by acting like a storage shed.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
4/12/20 12:47 p.m.
grover said:

My wife and I are both currently without real income and have placed our house on the market. It's a great place in a city we love, but we have a good bit of equity and I'm honestly not sure what is going to happen with our business or the housing market. 
my issue is this: before this house I had never had a shop with all my tools and everything spread out and certainly had not moved in the middle of a project. So now, I have a house on the market and my second garage/shop is in the middle of a F100 restoration. We're planning on moving somewhere near Atlanta, Chattanooga, Knoxville etc if I get a job- but how in the world do you move all of this stuff, including a truck with a motor nearly done but not in said truck. 
surely others have done this before. I'm in west palm beach so it's going to be a long move wherever we decide to go. 
should I just pay someone to finish the motor (it's got a broken exhaust manifold bolt I can't unstick) and get it finished ASAP? If I can't do that- make multiple trips? Try and sell? 

House sale isn't gonna happen quick right now unless you give it away cheap. Call Dave and drop off the head to get the bolt removed? He's operating normally since the shop & residence are together as you know.  I'm not going there to work, both of us are in the high risk groups. He's there alone working on Porsche stuff and a flathead build. With many repair shops on reduced schedules and less customers bringing cars for repairs he can easily keep up on his own so whether you just want the bolt removed or the engine built he should have the time.

grover
grover Dork
4/13/20 7:21 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

That's a pretty good idea.  I might consider that. 

grover
grover Dork
4/13/20 7:21 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) :

I had completely forgotten about these somehow.  

grover
grover Dork
4/13/20 7:22 a.m.

In reply to oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) :

Good idea, that may end up being what I do. 

grover
grover Dork
4/13/20 1:58 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Would you mind emailing me his info, i've missplaced it.  

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
4/13/20 2:59 p.m.

Will PM  phone # but in case you don't get it just email.   theheadshopsfl@gmail.com

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PEPT4I8sleHE5Nny9cN6mmOW6GZXBdr9cuN53hNXmKx6hmJIWBQNhkvhuDaf3BPI