smellywasher
smellywasher New Reader
3/10/14 3:16 p.m.

I have a product I think will work great for semi trailer and general trailer roof repair and have questions about the problem and what is currently used to fix it. The product would be a peel and stick,2"x10' or 2"x20' epoxy tape that never hardens and is a permanent one-time fix for roofs of any type surface. It is used from a roll and requires no sealer. Questions I have are: 1. Is roof repair for leaking water even a problem in the trucking industry? 2. If so, what is used to fix it? What are the costs for the materials used to fix it? 3. Is the fix permanent and if not how often does it need to be repaired? 4. Would 10' or 20' or even 25' lengths be best to advertise in the trucker world?

Thanks for any helpful input.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/10/14 3:20 p.m.

You would be surprised at the huge number of box trucks and semis with leaky cargo roofs. Many new boxes used a glassfibre roof for weight, light penetration (makes it easier to see inside during the day) and heat.. it does not take a lot to pierce one of those roofs. UPS trucks use the same system.

I would market it to the places that rent and repair small box trucks. Those places are always looking for a quick and easy way to seal up a rig. Same with UPS, Uhaul, and the rest

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/10/14 3:20 p.m.

Non hardening epoxy? Would this be more useful on a canoe?

smellywasher
smellywasher New Reader
3/10/14 3:21 p.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte: It's actually marketed as canoe repair already

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/10/14 3:23 p.m.

Just checking, wind resistance may be a problem. Market it at truckstops for the low clearance to stupidity ratio?

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/10/14 3:30 p.m.

Outside water can contaminate a load of fresh produce, and that is grounds for rejected/refused product, depending upon the severity. Wet boxes also lose their structural integrity, which can lead to toppled pallets.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
3/10/14 3:33 p.m.

Might be a market for using it to fix enclosed car trailers. I've had to repair them because of leaks.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
3/10/14 8:12 p.m.

Damage to the roof of a semi trailer usually totals it, unless it can be repaired immediately. Anything that compromises the perimeter rail will cause a cascade failure of the trailer wall structure. They are built very light weight and heavily dependent upon the roof & rail to maintain integrity. A metallic backed bear bond type tape is used to temporarily prevent water incursion for skin punctures. Any involvement of the top rail "red tags" the trailer as they rapidly disassemble them selves with continued use.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin HalfDork
3/10/14 8:32 p.m.

I was a trailer mechanic in another life. I spent many hours on top of trailers in the pissing rain trying to patch them up. If you have a product than be applied IN THE RAIN in a few minutes to get the truck moving down the road you have a winner.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
3/10/14 11:55 p.m.

So, you've invented Eternabond tape?

http://www.eternabond.com/RV-Leak-Repair-Products-s/22.htm

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
4/7/14 7:44 a.m.

Holy cow the canoe assault

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/7/14 8:12 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: Damage to the roof of a semi trailer usually totals it, unless it can be repaired immediately. Anything that compromises the perimeter rail will cause a cascade failure of the trailer wall structure. They are built very light weight and heavily dependent upon the roof & rail to maintain integrity. A metallic backed bear bond type tape is used to temporarily prevent water incursion for skin punctures. Any involvement of the top rail "red tags" the trailer as they rapidly disassemble them selves with continued use.

This.

years ago when I left the commercial driving field, the driver who replaced me tried to drive the 12'6" truck under a 10' bridge with all the ensuing damage and hilarity that resulted (he got fired after he backed into a car a month later) and my boss made me a very nice offer to come back for a week and fix it.

The shop guys "loved" me as I brought the truck into the shop at night and used rachetstraps and come alongs to straighten the box before cutting out the old parts and riveting in the new. I had no idea what I was getting into, but I had the 1st five feet of that box all nice, neat, and leakfree in a couple of days.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6BhJY6VlDAwiapRc4wt2gghZMrwaO0YxltzXyG18X5iZ5fPV8EqGJkUBw0JuaOsC