Daylan C.
Daylan C. PowerDork
12/11/21 1:18 a.m.

Sitting here watching a storm that's currently crossing several states with tornados removing buildings.

I'm sure a few of us are going to be hit by this to some extent. So I figured a check in thread was appropriate.

Stay safe everyone.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/11/21 8:24 a.m.

I saw an NYT headline this morning that said 50 killed with the number likely to climb. 

Terrible news. 

Indy "Pour One out for UltraClyde" Guy
Indy "Pour One out for UltraClyde" Guy PowerDork
12/11/21 8:28 a.m.

Indianapolis checking in.

Looks pretty grim on that map you posted.

We're all good here at my house yes

Thank God.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
12/11/21 9:10 a.m.

How is everybody in western Kentucky? I saw one of the potential tornado tracks was 227 miles from Arkansas, Missouri to Tenn and then ending in Kentucky! surprise

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
12/11/21 2:13 p.m.

Lexington was fine.  Western KY was hit hard.  This apparently was the longest "on the ground" twister in recorded history.  Been a bad night for a lot of folks.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/11/21 4:55 p.m.

it was windy as berkeley here in West Michigan.    Strong enough where I could feel my F150 being shoved around a little.

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
12/11/21 7:51 p.m.

Here in western NY we have some pretty intense winds. A branch blew off a tree and speared my roof. For now I pushed the branch out and screwed a piece of plywood up from the crawl space to close the hole.  I'll have to get up there with some tar tomorrow once the wind dies down.

No one was hurt, and it's a minor job to fix, so I'm counting myself as lucky.

Nothing compared to the tornadoes other regions had. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
12/11/21 8:39 p.m.

Things got spicy for about 20 minutes here in Nashville.  I haven't had power for close to 16 hours now.

May be an image of map and text that says 'wù Search & Favorites Layers Mt. Juliet 72 Naş Mille 71 BNA orest 70 72 PercyRriest Percy + Brantwood 72 LaVergne Smly Franklin nsville 72 Map time: Sat Dec 11 2021 03:27:15 GMT-0600 (CST) 840 Blackman 71 84 1x M 72 Overall'

People in KY are definitely worse off.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/12/21 6:34 a.m.

Saw a lot of downed trees and overturned trailers in Cleveland area.  One was a small horse trailer on its side and the tow vehicle (a Commander-sized thing) had nosed in hard into the edge of a drainage ditch.  Looked absolutely horrible and I hope there were no horses in there.

Driving down 71S (which is more like 71SW there) the wind was absolutely brutal.  With the window open it was making noises like I was going 110, at 70-75mph.  Lots of traffic was having a hard time keeping to lanes and people were passing semis on the right just because this was the meteorologically safe way to conduct a pass when the wind was randomly blowing things half a lane or more to the left.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/12/21 10:18 p.m.

I was never in any real danger in PA other than some crazy winds.

Hoping my friends to the south and west are all OK.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
12/13/21 10:53 a.m.

Looks really bad from the news.  A couple towns look to have been erased.  Hoping they find more folks alive and the Redcross can get into action.

I've been texting my sister who lives in Junction City, KS. She had her power go out sporadically and a section of the neighbor's fence blew down. She sent me a picture of a post from the local news station. Junction City recorded a max gust of 89mph and nearby Ft. Riley saw a max gust at 94mph! These were straight-line winds, not from a tornado.

She said that the winds kicked up so much dust that it turned the sky red. Lots of people suffered roof damage but her house was not damaged thankfully. The power issues knocked out the pumps for the city water supply so they are under a boil notice until further notice.

I've experienced a derecho when I lived on the outskirts of Omaha but nothing to that magnitude. That's some scary wind!

Edit for pic:

Those wind speeds are insane. The highest wind speed I have experienced was 75mph gusts. I thought the house was going to blow down!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
12/16/21 6:23 p.m.

Parts of Los Angeles got 5" of rain last Tuesday which was the most in 133 years.  I have a boat on a lake just outside of L.A. county and it's cover got overwhelmed by the wind resulting in significant water damage but it's insured so I wouldn't dare complain knowing that others in the country have gotten murdered to death by the weather recently.

BTW, I have two daughters and I so want one of them to become a TV meteorologist so she can go by Gail Force...Dooo It.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/16/21 9:55 p.m.

The wind here in SE Wisconsin was nuts last night.  Never heard the house roar and creak like it did last night.

We leave our garbage and recycling bins by the street and at midnight I was out picking up garbage and glass and putting it back in the bins.  Same thing again at 7am this morning.  And again later this morning.  Lots of tree limbs down and garbage all over the neighborhood from other people's bins but no major losses that I've seen.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tYi9Y64xnhQIE8qs2tPSUgcAKWHcxPq3XKsocErw0nhwobEcTVPnTJ8fPPpY3qk1