2 3 4
Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
10/30/17 1:02 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I’m not a big  fan of using chemicals to strip the old coating from new treasures; just bugs me a bit. Instead, I’ll wait until I have a few pans that are ready to be stripped and seasoned, I’ll put them in the oven, and I’ll run the self-clean cycle. 

It’ll burn all the junk to a crisp, and leaves a nice, as-cast pan behind. An added benefit is that it usually takes any light rust with it as well. After that, I attack it with welding gloves and a stiff wire brush, make sure it’s got all the funk off, and season it.

For all of you following along- when you begin cooking with a freshly seasoned pan, it’s important to avoid cooking acidic foods for a while. They can strip the seasoning, and you’ll have to redo it. You should also avoid cleaning them with soap and water, ever. Hot water and a stiff nylon brush are all I use, unless it’s really stuck, in which case I use ECM’s trick with the Kosher salt. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
10/30/17 9:57 a.m.

Neat! In for the follow. 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
10/30/17 1:22 p.m.

Reading this made me want bacon for dinner tonight. 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/30/17 2:46 p.m.
Stampie said:

Reading this made me want bacon for dinner tonight. 

Reading this made me want to 'dip' my car.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/1/22 9:45 p.m.

Back to the top!!!!! 

I've acquired a few more pieces of old cast iron. The older smooth-bottomed skillets are amazing.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
9/1/22 9:49 p.m.

I picked up an 8" skillet, a 10" skillet, and the treasure- a Griswold #8 griddle. Currently working on re-seasoning it after I nuked teh old coating in the self-clean cycle.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4c92UfYj9cvOX4EEW14iUidz8rA1GQMLKnk0P3lGcBWcNxC5pqgTIXFWVPVEyFIm