1 2 3
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/2/19 1:21 p.m.

I've met a bunch of musicians over the years (mostly Metal guys) and most of them have been giant dorks and all-around good dudes. Sometimes, they would be at shows I was attending watching their friends' bands like we were all in high school again. For example, I shared a pit floor with Jesse Leach (singer of Killswitch Engage) more than a few times over the years. Had to pick him up a few times off the floor!

Another "hero" I met: the guy who built one of my drums! I was buying a snare drum years ago at my old favorite (and long defunct) drum shop. It was a custom snare drum made by a local company that was basically one really talented guy in his basement shop. It was used, and I was playing it and fell in love with the sound. The shop owner heard me gushing over it, and he said, "Well, you have that guy over there to thank for it". The guy (Rob Kampa) who made it was in the shop! We talked for a bit, and he was super cool. He even sent me a replacement badge in the mail for it because one of them was scuffed up free of charge! He relocated to Tennessee soon after that, otherwise I was going to commission him to build me a complete kit.

As far as automobile "heroes", I've driven a few over the years with favorable results. The most favorable of all: the Challenger Scat Pack Widebody. It was everything I hoped it would be and then some. It's not for everyone, but it's sure as hell up my alley.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
12/2/19 3:31 p.m.

I also don't do heros, but I've met a bunch of "famous" people, mostly race car drivers.  Here are a few of the good ones.  There are some that weren't so nice, but we will skip over those.

Emerson Fittapaldi.  Met him one morning at Mid-Ohio, and then again in the winners circle (I was a photographer at the time).  He remembered me and put his hand on my shoulder and said "told you I was going to win".  Seriously nice guy when I met him.

Benny Parsons.  Met him a couple of times, once at a race, once when he appeared at a racing expo we helped put on.  Sat and talked like one of the guys.  You would never have known he was famous at all.  

Scott Pruitt.  Met him when he was driving Indycars.  Nice guy.  This was shortly after he came back after his wreck but he was still very polite and nice.

Ron Fellows.  Super, super nice guy.  Did a few laps with Ron and he seemed like a normal guy with a cool job.  This was pre Corvette days when he was a Trans Am driver.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/2/19 6:09 p.m.

These kinds of discussions always seem to turn into brag fests about which celebrities people have met.  wink  I go with the earlier posters who mentioned they don't  have heroes, at least not simply because they're famous.

I've seen a number of celebrities over the years, but only recall actually talking to one of them.  Outside of that one guy (he was checking out my car at a show so we actually had something to talk about, and he was a very nice man) I didn't see any reason to interrupt any of the others just to say I'd met them.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/2/19 7:08 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

These kinds of discussions always seem to turn into brag fests about which celebrities people have met.  wink  I go with the earlier posters who mentioned they don't  have heroes, at least not simply because they're famous.

I've seen a number of celebrities over the years, but only recall actually talking to one of them.  Outside of that one guy (he was checking out my car at a show so we actually had something to talk about, and he was a very nice man) I didn't see any reason to interrupt any of the others just to say I'd met them.

This thisity this.

What's weird is when you are talking with someone who maybe not quite a "hero" but someone you look up to as an inspiration, who mentions offhand that they were inspired by E36 M3 you used to do.

Or the rallycross bonfire and beer and BS session where everyone (people who ended up as regional and divisional stewards, and more) said they even got into rallycross because some jackwagon who goes by a whole bunch of different names kept posting about how awesome it was on the various online places.

And then there's stuff like this

Dammit, don't hero me, I'm just some lazy a-hole on the Internet who also plays with wrenches and MIG welders...

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
12/2/19 8:01 p.m.

Over the years I have met movie stars, The CEO of a car company, the owner of  Kox Geletin , two or three owners of leather factories, and so on.   Not a bad ass in the group.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yOBJ3mt4utuIoay3mER8z2vk7Errm8SDxYYfLQLwjeQgV3BmlbFVXTwzRpu9c8Dj