NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/24/18 7:50 a.m.

Morning all, 

As many of you know my wife and 2 children are living with my in laws until our new house is built. Since we ha e moved in we have discovered... they..  arn't... as clean... as we are... 

The 4 of us have had respiratory and allergy issues since day 1. Did some investigation today and they have been running their ac without a filter. So that is step one. But, I think we need something more significant for where the four of us are sleeping. 

That being said, I know nothing about air purifiers. What guidance does the hive have? I'm less concerned with cost and I'm more interested in something sustainable. I suspect the house will kill the first filter in less than a week.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
9/24/18 7:53 a.m.

Make sure the air purifier has a HEPA filter. Also real buttons, ours had a touch panel (not screen) that caused trouble. Eventually stopped it working altogether.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/24/18 7:57 a.m.

We use the Coway that won this comparison and we like it.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-air-purifier/

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
2/25/22 7:43 a.m.

I have a lot of environmental allergies, which have been much better since I put one of these in my bedroom: https://www.target.com/p/winix-5300-2-air-purifier-with-true-hepa-plasma-wave-technology-and-odor-reducing-carbon-filter/-/A-79643736?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df_free_online&CPNG=Home%2BImprovement&adgroup=85-0

It's sensitive enough that any fart in the room, no matter how far away or how innocuous,  ramps it up to high, which I find so entertaining that I run to that room when I feel one coming on. Sorry/not sorry.

Margie

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/25/22 8:40 a.m.

I have this Honeywell in my living/kitchen area (approx 600ft2 and fairly open) and it makes a noticeable difference. 

The Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Whole Room Air Purifier with Allergen Remover | Honeywell Store

It has been running non-stop for nearly 2 years now and no issues. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/25/22 8:49 a.m.

How much do you want to spend? I have increasingly worse allergies to our pets and my mom suggested the one she uses. And I'm considering one. 

www.iqair.com 

But they aren't NOT cheap at nearly $1k. They have 3 different filters. Pre-filter goes 18 months, the chemical one goes 24 and the final goes 36 months, IIRC. They also will apparently take care of 1500 sq ft. 

We currently have a small one I'm not sure where the better half got it from, seems to help was around $80 on Amazon and only needs a filter every 2-3 months. We also use HEPA filters for both return ducts on the HVAC system. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/25/22 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

You should take to calling that machine

The Smart Feller...The Fart Smeller

Oapfu
Oapfu New Reader
2/25/22 12:49 p.m.

I've had a Winix 5300 original/ classic/ "1"/ whatever running continuously for several whiles now (2017, I shoulda looked earlier).  IDK about effectiveness, but at least they are reliable.  The filter elements interchange across several other brands.

The methane sensor is fun and all, but I consider it kind of a gimmick b/c dust and particulates are the bigger problem.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lr5YXZZhFEEtnYIyFp5yIoKwBusRPMMjTYsBJhlIGBxlMeERw4Bosph1PO6sQ4jm