1 2
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/8/12 11:36 a.m.

50 ft. liveaboard sailboat, $32,000 (but accepting offers)

As a sailor I'm not crazy about center cockpits, little insettling stepping over the coaming in the dark at speed 30 miles from shore.

This one looks like a fixer upper and it's already in the Caribbean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sailboat-50-feet-fiberglass-Caribbean-ocean-eater-project-yacht-/160729950162?pt=Sailboats&hash=item256c4067d2

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
2/8/12 11:42 a.m.

money pit

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
2/8/12 11:45 a.m.

B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
2/8/12 11:48 a.m.

A boat, any boat, is a hole in the water, into which you throw money.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/8/12 11:48 a.m.

Every boat is a bottomless pit.

Why don't you pick up a cheaper hobby, like racing Porsche's?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/8/12 11:52 a.m.

Don't listen to them. It is just a wooden thingy with like 3 moving parts - it does not even need a motor. How expensive could it be?

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
2/8/12 11:52 a.m.

The older I get, the less boat I want. I've been looking at these a bit:

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
2/8/12 11:53 a.m.
Javelin wrote: *Every* boat is a bottomless pit. Why don't you pick up a cheaper hobby, like demolition-derbying Porsches?

FTFY.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/8/12 12:01 p.m.

I keep threatening to buy a Hobie cat and put a tent on the tarp for overnighting. Cats are fast, much more fun to sail than single displacement hulls.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/8/12 12:10 p.m.

Hobies are also (relatively) cheap.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/8/12 12:14 p.m.

Have to dig up the thread from 6-8 months ago about someone wanting to live on a boat in Maryland. In it was a great link to a great hour long video of some young ones living on a sail boat for a long time.

The fantasy of a sail boat like that is very alluring, apparently nowhere near the reality. Doesn't stop me from thinking about it, though.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
2/8/12 12:18 p.m.

... and be this guy

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Dork
2/8/12 12:33 p.m.

If you could find a cheap garage to rent for your cars, it might be a good way to avoid mortgages and property taxes. You wouldn't even have to leave the dock.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
2/8/12 12:46 p.m.

We saw a boat very similar to that one with what looked like a bunch of adopted kids on it. All ages/races. I'm not sure I ever saw an adult on board but there must have been 15-20 15 and under aged kids running around, jumping off the top and swimming. Once they anchored up in the cove we were in. The guardians of the group must be really laid back to deal with that many kids in that small of a space.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/8/12 12:50 p.m.
Keith wrote: I keep threatening to buy a Hobie cat and put a tent on the tarp for overnighting. Cats are fast, much more fun to sail than single displacement hulls.

Hobie 21 offers a kind of pup tent thing that goes between the pontoons ahead of the cross bar. If I were camping, it would be in a Stiletto 30. Youcan hit the shallows, run it up on a beach in time to out move a storm and I saw someone water ski behind one near Annapolis!

Keep buying them Lottery tickets.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
2/8/12 12:56 p.m.

Of the three choices, I think "bottomless pit" comes closest.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
2/8/12 1:03 p.m.
Keith wrote: I keep threatening to buy a Hobie cat and put a tent on the tarp for overnighting. Cats are fast, much more fun to sail than single displacement hulls.

Hobies are the Miata of the sailboat world. That, or Sunfish.

Here is mine: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/861835/1992-mazda-miata-mx-5/page-4#8618350013

That was a long time ago. Both the Miata and the Sunfish have been rebodied since that photo.

Joey

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/8/12 1:20 p.m.

In my bachelor days, I wanted a small sailboat to live on. Was going to get a P.O. Box and buy a little 1 bed, little stove Love Boat and ride a bicycle into work. Dont know if it would have been a good idea or not..

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/8/12 1:23 p.m.

I've always looked at those, and I figure a boat is a way to attract more of them.

bludroptop wrote: The older I get, the less boat I want. I've been looking at these a bit:
Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
2/8/12 2:16 p.m.

Boats make airplane look affordable.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
2/8/12 2:33 p.m.
joey48442 wrote:
Hobies are the Miata of the sailboat world. That, or Sunfish. Here is mine: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/861835/1992-mazda-miata-mx-5/page-4#8618350013 That was a long time ago. Both the Miata and the Sunfish have been rebodied since that photo. Joey

I would have said the Laser is the Miata of the sailboat world simply due to my impression of them - I'm a windsurfer who is peripherally aware of sailboats, not a sailor. Popular like Spec Miata for racing. And Lasers plane too! I don't know the Sunfish myself.

But there's nothing like flying the hull on a cat. Wicked fun.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
2/8/12 2:40 p.m.

I used to work for a yacht maintenance company and w handled a lot of large sailing yachts. The nice thing about a boat is that you don't need to run very far to get away from it.

monark192
monark192 HalfDork
2/8/12 2:58 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote: If you could find a cheap garage to rent for your cars, it might be a good way to avoid mortgages and property taxes. You wouldn't even have to leave the dock.

California will charge you property tax on your boat.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
2/8/12 3:46 p.m.

The craigslist for tampa st pete tarpon new port richey florida hot bed for cheap sailboats

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/8/12 4:34 p.m.
monark192 wrote:
Snowdoggie wrote: If you could find a cheap garage to rent for your cars, it might be a good way to avoid mortgages and property taxes. You wouldn't even have to leave the dock.
California will charge you property tax on your boat.

Kinda depends on where it is registered. I know a lot of boats in NJ are registered in Deleware

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vSnc7eZwJmx76FBNwv4SnqhLiAGHZDJvohqN44rt5fCxyJq1PuXNXjdekvAfmQNa