1 2
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/8/19 9:12 p.m.

It's snowing in the Pacific Northwest. The forecasters say upwards of 17" over the course of the weekend. They're calling it SNOWMAGEDDON! So what did I do?

Go wheeling in the Bronco...

Snow is fun!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
2/8/19 11:31 p.m.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/8/19 11:55 p.m.

3 inches of powdery snow in Spokane and people are in a panic

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
2/8/19 11:59 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

You gotsta get the breads and milks. Because that will definitely save you when you get snowed in.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/9/19 12:09 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Seriously the darn POTATO aisle looked like that today! I saw people argue over bunches of *green onions*...

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/9/19 1:04 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I never understood that mentality either. 

We get 6+ inches of snow here maybe 2 to 4 times a year. Roads are always passable at most a day or two later. The grocery store always looks like that anyway. 

Either I keep way too much food on hand and going grocery shopping once a week is abnormal or someone knows something I don't and expects the restocking delays  to be in excess of my 5 to 10 day buffer.

Hopefully you got that 5 lbs bucket that Sam's Club and Costco carry.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/9/19 10:37 a.m.

Midwest: "17 inches?...So?"

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/9/19 10:54 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I've got at least 24" in the back yard right now.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/9/19 11:11 a.m.
Grtechguy said:
Appleseed said:

I've got at least 24" in the back yard right now.

Yes, but you guys get that pretty much every year and there isn’t much ice as it just comes down as snow and since it stays cold, it mostly stays as snow.

Here we get it infrequently and often we get a thaw during the day and it freezes at night as a sheet of ice.  Deicer doesn’t work in those situations since it has to stay cold.  The cities mostly take care of the major roads and highways with gritting and deicer, but the side roads tend to be ignored as there aren’t enough trucks to handle them all and there aren’t any personal plows in the area that I know of.

i get so tired of this BS from the Midwest folks, so every times it happens, I have to explain.  Again. That the situations are completely different.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
2/9/19 11:20 a.m.
Stefan said:

Yes, but you guys get that pretty much every year and there isn’t much ice as it just comes down as snow and since it stays cold, it mostly stays as snow.

Here we get it infrequently and often we get a thaw during the day and it freezes at night as a sheet of ice.  Deicer doesn’t work in those situations since it has to stay cold.  The cities mostly take care of the major roads and highways with gritting and deicer, but the side roads tend to be ignored as there aren’t enough trucks to handle them all and there aren’t any personal plows in the area that I know of.

i get so tired of this BS from the Midwest folks, so every times it happens, I have to explain.  Again. That the situations are completely different.

They also have very different definitions of hills and mountains.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/9/19 11:21 a.m.

Actually, we just got hit with a pretty major 2 day ice storm.      150,000 without power, tree branches down everywhere.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/9/19 11:53 a.m.

Maybe you guys wouldn't get so much guff if every time this happens we didn't see, "OMGWTFBBQ, SNOW AND ICE-WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"

We just got hit with a hellacious ice storm. No threads, little if any posts. We just deal with it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/9/19 3:21 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Maybe you guys wouldn't get so much guff if every time this happens we didn't see, "OMGWTFBBQ, SNOW AND ICE-WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"

We just got hit with a hellacious ice storm. No threads, little if any posts. We just deal with it.

There were two of them....  in case you missed one. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/9/19 8:37 p.m.

I just wanted to show off berking around with my Bronco. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/9/19 8:51 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

True. I guess I took it in a different direction. Sorry.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
2/9/19 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

The river was a spooky bit. smiley

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
2/10/19 7:53 a.m.

Refrigerator/freezer in kitchen at normal everyday level, small cube freezer in basement full of stuff with questionable expiration dates, drawer in kitchen with crackers/snacks, pantry full of duplicate stuff that I forget we already have plus miscellaneous canned items, 22k generator out behind the garage and a 1000 gallon propane tank in the yard.

Im thinking that we could get trapped in the house and survive for several weeks if need be!

When it comes to snow and ice, it’s all about perspective. 12” of snow are no big deal if you are used to it, but an inch to some if a reason to stay home from work. Before the Super Bowel, the weather forecast for the days leading up to it were they were getting 2” of snow “dumped on them”! Perspective. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
2/10/19 12:00 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Appleseed said:

There were two of them....  in case you missed one. 

Hmmm, all seemed to be one little storm

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/11/19 10:46 a.m.

It's an interesting situation. I live across the Puget Sound from Seattle, and we have an honest 16" of snow on the ground as of this morning.

We live in an extremely hilly area, and as Stefan mentioned, the repeated freeze/thaw cycles make ice a serious issue. Every snow brings major disruptions to travel and significant power outages. Add to that the fact that the region probably averages 1"-3" of snow a year means that drivers RARELY have snow tires.

I wintered in Canada last year and had the great opportunity to get accustomed to living in a true winter, which means I'm not afraid to venture out. I dug the SAAB out of the snow and went out for a rip. Passed a few Jeeps and Brodozers in the ditch. The only thing stopping this car is ground clearance.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/11/19 11:13 a.m.

We had a couple days of thawing and snow here.  Might as well grill.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
2/11/19 11:26 a.m.
Grtechguy said:

I have those same tongs.

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/11/19 11:31 a.m.

good news, I went to the store this morning, and it was nicely restocked and no one was there :D

I drove from crystal mountain (greenwater) to North Seattle last night, no issues..... People with chains on even put their flashers on on the freeway so you could avoid them.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/11/19 11:35 a.m.

The freeze/thaw cycle means that there's a ton of ice where I live on anything with a higher elevation than a speed bump. I took the 5 out yesterday and accidentally slid into a curb sideways (at like 2 mph, no damage) so today I'm in the Bronco. I'm like the only person at work. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
2/11/19 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

yep and my city cant plow or salt apparently.... Literally hit the edge of the city and the roads turn 100% better.... Like they actually salted or de-iced.

No work today, screw that. 

wawazat
wawazat Reader
2/11/19 12:05 p.m.
Grtechguy said:

Why is your dog looking at you from *inside* the grill??

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TH6EJlXfg1A1PX6mfdrz66d7H3zssnZ25Skmxx1q0DapB0o5vlHf1IG2EotviY9c