1 2 3
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/15/14 1:04 a.m.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/15/14 6:13 a.m.

I used to pull over on long sales trips and take a quick nap on the rear bench seat in mine.

I had 2 vans for work and I miss them except every blondie soccer mom with a latte in one their manicured nails hand in their giant Expeditions would blow my doors off. It was hard on my ego.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/15/14 7:19 a.m.

Nice. Similar to the '08 version I bought a year ago. Stow-n-Go is awesome. I've averaged low-mid 20's since buying it and have put on about 30K miles. However, as much as I like it, it's simply not big enough, so after I get my VW back on the road it'll get cleaned up and sold to be replaced with another full-size conversion van.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
11/15/14 7:51 a.m.
McTinkerson wrote: Gale Banks has hinted at a turbo system for the Pentastar engines - that would let you accomplish your own version of this. Add a hint of Dajiban flavour and love the usefulness.

My work van ('14 Ram C/V) seems overpowered even loaded down with equipment. It's easy to look down and be doing 20+ over without realizing it. That being said I have thought a turbo kit would be nice.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/15/14 7:59 a.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

What engine is in yours? I can say the base 3.3 OHV V6 in mine has never, ever felt like too much power... usually just "barely adequate". And this is me coming from a 90hp TDi...

asoduk
asoduk Reader
11/15/14 8:39 a.m.

Just out of curiosity, what made you go new vs slightly used? Someday I'll have a justification for one of these.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/15/14 10:11 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I miss them except every blondie soccer mom with a latte in one their manicured nails hand in their giant Expeditions would not hesitate to pull directly out in front of me when I was going highway speed.

FTFY. The downside of driving an anonymous minivan is that nobody ever expects you to be going more than 32 mph. I've had more white-knuckle-stand-on-the-brakes-with-both-knees-locked moments in the 'van than I have in all the rest of my cars put together, and I drive it about 10% as much.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
11/15/14 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

3.6 pentastar with vvt. They are light years ahead of the ohv v6 Chrysler started using in the early 90s.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/15/14 5:45 p.m.

asoduk--- I decided to go new as these vans are pretty inexpensive, and the luxury of the warranty was too hard to resist. I figured if I was going to have a car payment, I wanted a warranty. Financing terms were more friendly by going new and I wanted the piece of mind of knowing I was the only owner---- I'd never done that before.

I've put a few miles on it now and it's exactly what I expected. Comfy, nice, incredibly practical..... and boring as Hell. It's hard to stay awake while driving this thing.....it's like an isolation chamber compared to my other cars.

My brother and his kids came to Daytona today. We loaded up and headed to the track for the HSR endurance race. It was perfect----and we ran into Brian Johnson-- he was super friendly to the kids (who had no idea of who he was!)

I'm very glad I have other cars to drive. The Caravan is great at it's job-----but it's job description doesn't include being fun.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
11/15/14 6:08 p.m.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
11/15/14 6:34 p.m.
EvanR wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again. At $20k, the GC is the bargain of the decade. Over 300hp, 20mpg, seats 7 or will haul all your cargo. Don't forget 3500lb tow rating! Think about what else $20k will buy you, brand new. Ain't a whole lot of vehicles this handy, that's for sure!

x2

For those that haven't driven the newer vans, they indeed can haul ass for a daily driven tool if you want it to. I rented a '10 Grand Caravan at the time and was impressed. I don't know for sure but it felt a heck of a lot quicker than the '90 turbo Voyager (stock) that I use to have.

As for the image thing I guess I didn't realize some of you felt this way about driving a vehicle that has so much to offer as already stated by others here. I guess those that drive them most likely are NOT compensating for any short comings

EvanR
EvanR Dork
11/15/14 7:01 p.m.

I swear, if I thought one of these would hold up as well as my Scion has, I'd buy one.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/15/14 10:25 p.m.

Just crib the hell out of this one. Then they'll shut up.

Mmadness
Mmadness HalfDork
11/15/14 11:19 p.m.

Let's start the chant... glasspack; Glasspack; GLASSPACK!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/15/14 11:57 p.m.

Apart from wrong wheel drive, I get it mate.

photo 466E221E-1D03-4ADF-8DAC-AACD8C3D7F2C_zpszqiryhki.jpg

Practical, roomy, parts hauler, secure, 7 passenger capacity. It was easily able to bring 3 of us, our gear, tools and wheels along with 5 rotary engines and a transmission from the Challenge to Ohio while towing the car.

photo 20141026_202638_zps49f59d3e.jpg

Hard to top

I wish it had a stick though

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/16/14 7:51 a.m.
EvanR wrote: I swear, if I thought one of these would hold up as well as my Scion has, I'd buy one.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this right now. I changed the oil in my '08 GC (base 3.3 V6 engine) yesterday. Chocolate milk came out of the oil pan. Berk.

I know it's dripping coolant from a rusted coolant pipe, but I wasn't getting any hints the engine was going south at 108K. Gotta get the TDI back on the road (I keep saying that...).

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/17/14 8:58 a.m.

Every time I rent one of those I think "man I love this thing. I can't believe what you get for the money". With two kids and two dogs and a house with needs, it is really what I need. Someday.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
11/17/14 10:55 a.m.

Sometimes you just need a tool. Congrats!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/17/14 11:08 a.m.

That dumped silver one a few posts up is hot. Do that.

So, just out of curiosity, what is the task for which this was the right tool? I'm a big fan of right tool for the job.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 New Reader
11/17/14 2:45 p.m.

I'm not a practical vehicle hater or anything, but man, I hate the transmission in those vans. The 3-4 upshift at WOT is really nice. Every other gear seems to be spaced strangely, and it can never decide between 5th and 6th on the highway. But maybe they've fixed some of that by now; I think the one I drove was a 2012.

And I'll just leave this here:

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/17/14 3:03 p.m.

Dave---- It was really more of a variety of tasks that this thing can handle easily than one over-riding duty:

** Task #1--- I have a small motorboat, that needs towing and launching. My old POS Ford would do it....but I was always worried about the E-brake failing and the truck rolling into the water. The worn out engine didn't have enough compression to hold it in gear on the ramp without slipping back. Every time I'd launch + load (especially alone) it was pretty harrowing. Not now---- it should be a piece of cake.

** Dog hauling---- Rufus the wonderdog heads to the Jacksonville area whenever I leave town on business. (folks watch the pooch) He'll be in dog heaven back there with the windows down. It was a bit crowded in the single-cab of the pickup.

** Kayak--- I regularly use my 13' Kayak. The truck hauled it around ok--- but the van is lower and will be easier to load. I'll also be more apt to travel to farther springs, lakes and rivers now that I'm sure the vehicle will make it.

** Total reliability---- My other "nice cars" the FM Turbo Miata and the M3 are both old machines. They both kick ass and are fun as all get-out, but I needed something totally reliable that won't take any of my time. For instance--- the next time I break a driveshaft into two pieces (as I did to the M3 at the Challenge) I'll still have a reliable machine at my disposal. (don't worry--- the M3 will be fine--- just a "flesh wound"!

** Stow & Go--- so useful, so trick, so ingenious! The ability to carry 7 passengers, or easily convert to a huge cargo van was too appealing to pass up. Great for camping, hauling, or shagging the "fine" ladies!

In the end--- it was just too much vehicle for too little $$.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/17/14 5:33 p.m.

Solid.

I'm curious how it tows a real load. If / when you put a car hauler behind it, report back!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
11/17/14 5:48 p.m.

I keep looking at full size vans because I'm just not confident that any of the mini vans can tow 6k lbs of car and trailer. I don't actually like any of the current big vans though, so I just stick with my truck.
Nice van, I still have very fond memories of my old Odyssey. I loved it. And yes, it was mine, not my wife's.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
11/17/14 9:11 p.m.

"Death by common sense". Moment of silence please for the dearly departed. May your soul rise to the exhaulted state of "Adulthood".

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
11/18/14 9:41 a.m.

I rented one of these at SWMBO request for a winery road trip. I had no experience with them prior, she said there is nothing better for luggage and people. It rocked, and drove great. If we had kids I wouldn't hesitate.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mdrTa8xGRn1QQIJF6eEOLRYuj0r3LvaEAtsbYHD5OJQiNfswaeBW9NZm51wH2PFO