1 2 3
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/14/14 11:18 a.m.

I had considered the Frizbee twins, a PRHT Club model MX-5, and even toyed with the idea of a Fiesta ST. My right brain and left brain were waging a war. In order to stem the mounting casualties on both sides, I sided with the left (logical) side of my brain, for perhaps the first time ever.

So Behold------ my brand spanking new (2014) 30th Anniversary Dodge Grand Caravan

I figure I still have the E36 M3 and Turbo Miata for fun---- what I needed was a tool. For the money, I couldn't find a more versatile tool than this Dodge. Yes, other minivans may drive slightly better, but the Stow and Go system was just too trick to pass up. For just a touch over $20K it's a pretty amazing machine. I'm still a bit conflicted though.... Not in a million years would I have thought that my first new car purchase would be a minivan.....but it's out in the parking lot, and I'm pretty sure it's mine......

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/14/14 11:21 a.m.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
11/14/14 11:25 a.m.

Sweet buy. The last brand new car I purchased outright (I leased a Leaf) was my 2006 Kia Sedona. Incredibly rational and useful purchae. Nice job!!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork

Nice ride man, enjoy it for what it is and wallow away the miles in comfort.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader

Gale Banks has hinted at a turbo system for the Pentastar engines - that would let you accomplish your own version of this.

Add a hint of Dajiban flavour and love the usefulness.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
11/14/14 11:36 a.m.

Tint the windows and put a waterbed in the back. Bonus points for wet bar. That's what vans are for.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
11/14/14 11:43 a.m.

Dude...

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
11/14/14 12:06 p.m.

I personally feel that the design of many utility vehicles as well as the performance is far above that of many average cars these days. The fact that a minivan has fold flat seats, plenty of power and still gets MPG as good as some smaller cars is impressive. Caravan probably gets better MPG, weighs more, and has more power than my ZX2. You can't sleep in my ZX2 nor tote around 7 people.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
11/14/14 12:15 p.m.

I rented one recently to haul a boatload of crap 1000 miles. I totally get it, but then again I spent my formative years in one of these:

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
11/14/14 12:21 p.m.

You realize this announcement broke pretty much every man-law which pertains to minivans.

First, you acknowledged it as your vehicle. Man Law #75 - Any minivan purchased in the household shall automatically be assigned to a female household member. No male household member shall ever acknowledge ownership over a minivan. Ownership shall always be differed by such platitudes as "My wife's car".

Second, you failed to offer sufficient justification for passing up more "manly" vehicles (you know Camaros, jacked up trucks, etc). Man law #87b - If forced to acknowledge ownership of a minivan, sufficient disclaimers shall immediately be offered to clarify the extreme necessity and/or involuntariness of the purchase. (Examples: We have kids. We have 2 dogs. Or, to preserve all possible manliness points: I must occasionally move greasy engine blocks.)

Third, while it is well know that minivans are comfy and awesome, this is never to be acknowledged, anywhere. Man Law #92 - The fact that a minivan roomier, more comfortable and possibly faster than your "sports" car shall never be spoken of. Ever. Under any circumstances. (I realize your post didn't exactly break this rule, but you hinted at it by showing pics of an interior with adequate room for all passengers. This is way to close to the line)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/14/14 12:22 p.m.

Does it have one of those hid away rear storage areas where you can keep your balls?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
11/14/14 12:24 p.m.

Bravo! And a big dope slap upside the heads of those who are unable to see the minivan for the beautiful, practical beast that it is! If all the knuckleheads driving so-called "Sport Utility Vehicles" traded them for minvans, the world would be a better place.

That was my first thought, followed shortly by this: A Dodge? Are you crazy?

Good luck! And let us know if/when it breaks!

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/14/14 12:27 p.m.

Oh yes. Boring as all get-out, but quick, efficient, amazingly capable at carrying people and things, and that Pentastar has a dual personality when you open it up. Nice buy.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/14/14 12:46 p.m.

Love it, looking at replacing our 07 with a new one.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/14/14 12:53 p.m.

Well done! The first new car I ever bought in 1992 was a shortie base model Caravan. When it was killed in a car accident 10 years ago I promptly replaced it with a lightly used 2000 Grand Caravan Sport. Most cost-effective purchase I have ever made. A massively useful tool - absolutely no sadness involved.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/14/14 12:56 p.m.

Proper tool for the job.. and when it stops working you can use it like a hammer ala Harbor Freight tools.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
11/14/14 1:32 p.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. At $20k, the GC is the bargain of the decade. Over 300hp, 20mpg, seats 7 or will haul all your cargo. Don't forget 3500lb tow rating!

Think about what else $20k will buy you, brand new. Ain't a whole lot of vehicles this handy, that's for sure!

Joe Gearin
11/14/14 1:54 p.m.

Thanks guys! I'm pretty pleased with the purchase-- although it feels a bit surreal to buy a new car. That shiny thing out there.....it's mine? Yeah... I guess so......

and Kazoospec------ Real men don't pay attention to silly little "man laws". They make their own!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' HalfDork
11/14/14 2:11 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Does it have one of those hid away rear storage areas where you can keep your balls?

Not necessary…one of your nads shrivels up while flopping all around making that air being let out of a balloon sound when you first sit in it and then the other nad goes when you sign the sales contract.

Joking aside, congratulations Joe.

The only automotive stereotype that would dissuade me is that of the Corvette and that’s only because the truth hurts.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/14/14 2:14 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: and Kazoospec------ Real men don't pay attention to silly little "man laws". They make their own!

That's exactly how we got "METROSEXUALS" though......

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
11/14/14 2:23 p.m.

<--- Jealous!

Congrats Joe, that's one new vehicle I'd love to own...if I didn't loath car payments so much.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/14/14 2:25 p.m.

Well, I guess there's no more speculation about the size of Joe's equipment - mark him COMPENSATION NOT REQUIRED.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
11/14/14 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

and i bet Willie D sounds great on the system in that thing!

Joe Gearin
11/14/14 2:42 p.m.

Pat---- he's taking it to a whole nutha level!

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Reader
11/14/14 10:50 p.m.

Ignore the haters, it's awesome to be able to take home 4x8 sheets of plywood in the rain. And then flip the seats up, load up the dogs and kids and drive 3 states to grandma's flour thanksgiving dinner.. I love our t&c, it's not the vehicle I enjoy driving the most, but it's the best tool for the job.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LhUwm86m4L5k2gfilPO6tc6D0KJr8jTa5qxuARSHGXhvQvzfWyjn2MBaFE0xOAJD