1 2 3
captainzib
captainzib HalfDork
10/7/10 12:05 p.m.

Did this over a month ago but just now getting around to posting it.

Yeah, I know, I did a rather crappy lap. But it was my first time, I was nervous and in a rental car, blah blah blah.

NWS for some language. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ADQNKPC4Y

Also I apologize for not having a windshield mount for my phone. It woulda made the vid a lot better.

There's some more vids on my youtube channel.

And here are some pics.

Look at that sexy ass Toyota!!!

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/7/10 12:08 p.m.

Wow, there are some epic cars in those pics.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
10/7/10 12:28 p.m.

Mad amounts of envy being produced over here. What was your rental?

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
10/7/10 12:33 p.m.

Raise your hand if you could name every car except the silver hatch in the last two photos.

captainzib
captainzib HalfDork
10/7/10 12:34 p.m.

The rental was a Toyota Auris. I believe it replaced the Corolla hatch over there, but according to wiki is not quite a Matrix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Auris

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/7/10 12:42 p.m.

You got one of the stickers for your car at home, right?

captainzib
captainzib HalfDork
10/7/10 12:46 p.m.

Yeah, but I didn't put it on, it's just hangin on my wall. I have 3 cars, and would only feel right displaying the sticker on a car that's driven around the Ring.

I actually joked with my friend about putting the sticker on the rental, but I think Avis might not have been amused with that.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/7/10 1:03 p.m.

The money I spent on 'Ring laps still ranks as some of the best bucks that have ever left my pocket. The last time I was there I wasn't able to do any lapping and it made my heart hurt a little. Next time I go I've vowed to spring for a racecar rental and do it right.

Congrats on the lap. It's definitely one of those car guy boxes you have to check at some point.

jg

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
10/7/10 1:10 p.m.

HELLO??? FORD???

ARE YOU AWAKE???

SEND THIS TO THE UNITED STATES! HELLO???

captainzib wrote:
RossD
RossD Dork
10/7/10 1:15 p.m.

The Volvo C30 is it's detuned, more boring looking kin, but still with the turbo 5 cylinder.

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
10/7/10 1:18 p.m.

Damn must be nice.

Taiden
Taiden Reader
10/7/10 1:33 p.m.

Are you allowed to walk the course before you run?

Har har, I'll be here all week.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
10/7/10 2:29 p.m.
captainzib wrote:

Call me weird, but I rather like this. The duck tail and the flares make it look really nice.

monark192
monark192 Reader
10/7/10 2:29 p.m.

That's on my bucket list. No one stops you taking a rental car on track - that's good to know

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/7/10 2:51 p.m.

It's not really a track. It's a one-way toll road.

I have no problem with putting a 'Ring sticker on a car that's not been there, as I've been there. It's a badge that only true car guys understand.

captainzib
captainzib HalfDork
10/7/10 3:19 p.m.
Keith wrote: It's not really a track. It's a one-way toll road. I have no problem with putting a 'Ring sticker on a car that's not been there, as I've been there. It's a badge that only true car guys understand.

Yeah, it depends on what time of day and how much you pay. Sometimes it's a track and you pay do do an HPDE, other times it's a toll road and you pay for a tourist lap, which is what I did. Still fun, and woulda been more so with less rain, more courage, better car or any combination of the 3. That being said, the tourist lap only costs 21 euros per lap.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/7/10 3:21 p.m.

Very cool, but... In the time it took to watch your one video I could watch these two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mEirkQN8o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky8ZiO6ebn0&feature=channel

Of course, feel good in knowing that when I click on your video, these are the videos related to you. I guess that makes them your peers.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
10/7/10 3:59 p.m.

Those are some serious cars! Sure beats most track days I've ever done...Miata, Miata, Miata, 911, Miata, Miata, Miata, 911, Miata, Miata, Miata, Neon, Miata, Miata, Miata, Miata, Miata, RX7, Miata, Miata, Viper, Miata, Miata, Miata, Corvette, Miata, Mustang, Miata, Miata...

Of course I'm seriously envious!

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
10/7/10 5:53 p.m.

I stopped on the picture of the 599, and looked at it for a second.

Then I realized that second was actually 6 minutes, and that I was drooling.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/7/10 6:23 p.m.
monark192 wrote: That's on my bucket list. No one stops you taking a rental car on track - that's good to know

But there are several rental companies that specifically forbid the 'Ring for their cars. Some are even known to employ spotters and slap the renter with huge fines upon return of the car. At a minimum,any insurance you purchase will be null and void should you smack it up on the course.

And the weirdest thing about going there? No Miatas. It feels so unnatural.

jg

captainzib
captainzib HalfDork
10/7/10 6:31 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
monark192 wrote: That's on my bucket list. No one stops you taking a rental car on track - that's good to know
And the weirdest thing about going there? No Miatas. It feels so unnatural. jg

That's a lie and you're a liar for saying it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
10/7/10 6:54 p.m.

I am headed to Germany in a month or so. I am about 2 hours away (at 60mph that is...) so I plan to go to the Ring. My research showed some issues with taking a rental car, and all I have access to as a loaner is an SL65 AMG or 911 of undetermined year/model. (Yes, I know, good cars for the track but I doubt the boss will allow that kind of idiocy with his vehicle).

I did find places that you could rent a race car, like a Golf on slicks. Any info about that or any phone numbers? Any issues/warnings form the rental car place? What should a first-timer need to know? How do I find out what days are toll-road days?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/7/10 7:03 p.m.

Didn't watch the vid yet, but was this a special day there are are the cars there normally of that caliber???

What a great assembly of machinery.

captainzib
captainzib HalfDork
10/7/10 7:05 p.m.

@pinch

If you just wanna do a tourist lap, it shouldn't be a problem with any rental car. As previously mentioned, on tourist laps, the track is nothing more than a really awesome toll road. You can still have more fun than you would on any other road, and on that note, the rural roads near the Ring are pretty fun as well.

Some info for ya

http://www.nuerburgring.de/

http://www.nuerburgring.de/angebote/fahrerlebnisse/touristenfahrten-nordschleife/oeffnungszeiten-nordschleife.html (That one takes you direct to the hours of operation for tourist laps)

RSR Nurburg (If I'm not mistaken, they are a race car rental company)

Tel. 0 26 91 / 93 19 52 (No clue how to interpret this cacophony of numbers)

Good luck and have fun.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/7/10 8:15 p.m.

Have I told you how much I hate you?

I love that 'My Mecca' shirt.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pC8YndPs2OhI0mOlRNBcJUMNfselM1V7qrgAeDMU8jjAqD73uVB0iAhos2QXFFZ8