G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/26/16 10:00 p.m.

...with a point and shoot and an LED flashlight. The results? Not bad for my first time at it. Here's my best shot.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
2/26/16 10:11 p.m.

Not bad, but the porch and street light are killing you softly.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/26/16 10:22 p.m.

In reply to Nick (LUCAS) Comstock:

Surprisingly enough, there is no porch light. Just the street lamps. I need to keep trying.

travellering
travellering Reader
2/26/16 10:40 p.m.

So, I have an SLR and a lower car, which makes this easier by far. I have some better equipment and skills yet to hone, but I've found the best light is the flash on my phone. If you can find a somewhat darker spot, I think your pics will improve quite a lot. I'm impressed by your point and shoot's exposure time, and hopefully this is the last sentence I rhyme.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
2/26/16 10:45 p.m.
travellering wrote: So, I have an SLR and a lower car, which makes this easier by far. I have some better equipment and skills yet to hone, but I've found the best light is the flash on my phone. If you can find a somewhat darker spot, I think your pics will improve quite a lot. I'm impressed by your point and shoot's exposure time, and hopefully this is the last sentence I rhyme.

One word for that picture: HHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
2/26/16 10:50 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

The light that is on behind the truck and above the hood of the car. Sure looks like a porch light to me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the lighting effect on the truck looks good. However those extra ambient lights are taking away from the shot of the truck.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
2/26/16 10:53 p.m.

In reply to travellering:

I saw your car at the cars and coffee at the mall a couple years ago. I was there with a couple other GRMers from the east TN area. I wish we would have been able to introduce ourselves.

travellering
travellering Reader
2/27/16 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Nick (LUCAS) Comstock:

I'm there at all of the Harper's Cars and Coffee, and most of the European Auto Garage ones as well. You know they are running a poker run on April 2nd, right?

I'm sure I'll be out there for that, most likely in our 71 Citroen D special.

Threadjack over, G_Body_Man, keep it up. I've seen some people make amazing improvements in a short time just trying a shot every day. You're starting from a pretty good point there, so I look forwards to seeing how good you can get this.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
2/27/16 7:01 p.m.

I thought we all agreed that the topper was gonna go away.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/28/16 12:42 a.m.

just do not do this:

Iconic shipwreck burned

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
2/28/16 8:31 a.m.

I read it as "So I Tried Painting My C1500 For The First Time..." and was about to congratulate you on a job well done until I read the other replies.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/28/16 9:00 a.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Very nice truck!!!! Not a bad photo. If you are in to photography just keep burning pixels and see what you like. Experiment with lighting. It is a great hobby that I have dabbled in for years.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
2/29/16 9:51 p.m.

The streetlight behind the truck is adding a bit of backlighting and a nice dramatic shadow for visual interest. I don't mind it at all.

The other light on the far right looks like it could just about be cropped out without losing too much.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
2/29/16 11:17 p.m.

Not that you asked for advice or ideas, but... I saw on Amazon.com (I know, pricing is different for Canada, grain of salt etc) you can get six cans of black spray plasti-dip for $36 bucks. That's enough to hit all of the wheels (after you clean them up really well) as well as those wheel arch trims. Little masking, time with a razor blade, and that would really tighten up the look on this thing. Also see the above comment about the topper.

The above picture of the Citroen looks like some good guidance in a single shot. I think your photo setup is pretty good and getting the truck in front of a better background would really look great.

Glad to see you're having fun with a new vehicle. Good luck with future improvements!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/1/16 6:38 a.m.

any good tips or technique websites/ articles?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AxnVEGah4VewM1Ms25Tm5vzh7NyuaUM7x4Ui5Eu6W6YrUzvfvbPvRZfgVXSqyBxL