2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
7/8/08 2:52 a.m.

So I'm moving soon to MO, somewhere near Whiteman afb. Dont know where we are living yet, just looking for some basic info. Local car clubs, good places to shop(and by that I mean pick&pulls), good driving roads, places to see, nearest track for track days, and such....

23 days and counting till I'm back in the states

matt_fulghum
matt_fulghum New Reader
7/8/08 6:13 a.m.

I might be moving to Montana sooooon....

... gonna grow me up a crop of.... dental floss.

oldsaw
oldsaw New Reader
7/8/08 9:50 p.m.
2.0dohc wrote: So I'm moving soon to MO, somewhere near Whiteman afb. Dont know where we are living yet, just looking for some basic info. Local car clubs, good places to shop(and by that I mean pick&pulls), good driving roads, places to see, nearest track for track days, and such.... 23 days and counting till I'm back in the states

While I can't offer much on the "social side" for MO, the southern half of the state has some AWESOME roads.

Get a good road map of the state and start by marking all the state parks, historical sites, etc, etc.; It will help if you appreciate natural wonders and mother nature. Use the map and choose a route that includes the roads with the most squiggles - they are well-maintained, generally smooth and lots of fun.

The state has numerous natural springs that are really the re-emergence points of underground rivers that flow under and through the Ozarks. Check out Alley Springs, Ha Ha Tonka, Pomme de Terre, and especially Elephant Rocks. There are many, many others.

Consult the map, don't choose roads that are straight and bring a camera.

Is Whiteman still home-base for the B2? It's a pretty eerie place at sunrise; duly noted because it's perimeter is adjacent to Knob Noster State Park and we drove by the edges before the roosters woke up.

Have fun!

2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
7/9/08 2:22 a.m.

thanks for the info. when we were moved to utah, we did the look for the squiggly road thing and it worked pretty well.

yes the B2s are there, it will be a bit of a change from the fighters I work on now

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/9/08 6:52 a.m.

I have no idea where the air force base is, but if you're anywhere near the Currant River and enjoy canoeing, you need to go there. And no, I'm not trying to flag this post.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/9/08 8:06 a.m.

Whiteman is about an hour or so outside Kansas City. You're not too far from those great driving roads mentioned above, you're not too far from Lake of the Ozarks (which currently has a pooh problem, but still attracts a lot of folks). Not a bad spot. You could probably make Topeka in less than 3 hours.

For track days and stuff, you'll probably be trekkng into KC, but that's not so bad. I know there's two autocross clubs active here, SCCA and Crown.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/9/08 8:38 a.m.
matt_fulghum wrote: I might be moving to Montana sooooon.... ... gonna grow me up a crop of.... dental floss.

Be a Dental Floss Tycoon.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/9/08 4:33 p.m.

Sedalia is the closest thing to a "big" town near the AFB, IIRC. Ask Psteav here about Sedalia. You can catch the State Fair there...

Actually, it's not a big town. Warrensburg is a college town and a little closer to KC. If you're a big-city lover, you might look at living closer to KC and commuting. However, if you're a rural type, you'll probably love the area around the AFB.

I'm in Columbia, in the middle of the state on I-70. Not much for racing outside of the big cities (STL and KC) in MO, but you'll be near lots of fun water potential, as mentioned above.

Clem

stroker
stroker New Reader
7/12/08 8:16 p.m.

You should hit Sedalia for the AMA dirt track race, if you've moved there in time. Otherwise there are several dirt tracks in the area for stockers/sprint races. I-70 speedway has stockers on a regular basis I believe. Not much in the sportscar field happening.

The recommendation on roads is excellent. There's another one heading east (I think it's Hwy 50 leading to Hwy 19) from Jefferson City that will ultimately take you to Hermann, MO. That's worth the drive just to see, let alone the local wineries.

Don't forget you're only going to be about two hours east of Topeka so you can catch the SCCA Nats if you're there in time.

If you get to Columbia, give me some advance notice--I'll take you down to the Flat Branch pub for some micro-brew or CJ's for some truly excellent chicken wings and we'll see if we can get Clem along for the ride (Right, Clem? Didn't want to volunteer you without your permission... ) or some of the other local stuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M3Q41Nw1QZYJ13YaIMATrG5Itt4XYLRRxrtHvBnGOM2vz1j91nscEyTRwk0oOYCf