1 2
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/30/10 11:19 p.m.

suppose to take place tomorrow, so who is ready?

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
7/31/10 8:29 a.m.

i am going to a baseball game tonight + no DVR = someone point me to where i can watch it online tomorrow.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
7/31/10 9:43 a.m.

What channel?!

Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/31/10 10:16 a.m.

The schedule shows ESPN hosting all the racing. 2-6 est is seeding and 7-11 is Super Rally finals.

I hope Deegan gets knocked out in the first round.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/31/10 10:17 a.m.

Also, I do assume were talking X-games right? I guess I should have clarified that sooner.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
7/31/10 10:35 a.m.

ESPN

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
7/31/10 6:43 p.m.

That crap is almost unwatchable. I'm as big a fan of rally as anybody but this is horrible. Don't get me wrong I would love to be out there doing it but as for watching it no thanks.

I do hold out some hope for super rally though.

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
7/31/10 6:47 p.m.

GET THE NAVIGATORS BACK!!!!!

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/31/10 7:27 p.m.

was it really that bad?

cghstang
cghstang Reader
7/31/10 9:26 p.m.

It was disgusting.

On specialstage.com, the main stage rally forum for North America as far as I know, the thread discussing the X-games is entitled " X-games Fiasco."

I was looking forward to a strong showing from Duplesis. Those hairpins at the top of the coliseum were ridiculously tight. And another hairpin at the bottom of a downhill section back into the coliseum? Did they want people to roll there?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
7/31/10 9:31 p.m.

The Super Rallycross is more entertaining. At least things were close in the first heat.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/31/10 10:06 p.m.

WTF was that!?!?!?! Did they do all 5 laps? Did the checkered flag come out a lap early? Did Deegan do the jump as required? I'm as confused as the announcers.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
7/31/10 10:57 p.m.

i saw a little of something at work, I guesssss it was rallycross. not what I remember from Europe, and what was all that barmy doughnuts crap at the end? rallycross really should be E36 M3boxes with well over 500 ponies so the cars never look to be fully under control. is Martin Schanche still around?

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
7/31/10 11:47 p.m.

Deegan clearly got his jump in, but Foust clearly had a checkered flag waved in his face... xgames 16 rally events were an absolute cluster berkeley!

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
8/1/10 9:11 a.m.

not sure why they had to change the setup from last year, i watched a little online and gave up, what a mess.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/1/10 10:09 a.m.

Wow.

I really feel terrible for everyone involved in the rally events this year at X. In the past it had become a fantastic spotlight for the sport but this was a step back. At one point Paul Page mentioned that none of the drivers had gotten a chance to practice on the course, and that was clear at every level. From drivers getting lost, to the director in the truck not knowing where to put the hot cameras, to the announcers not knowing what was going on, and the animation that showed the course not even showing the course that was being driven. Also, don't design a possible head-on collision into a racetrack.

They had really perfected the formula at the old stadium. I wonder what necessitated the venue change? Looking at the Google map of the Coliseum there's plenty of nice big parking lots they could have used for some asphalt sections (although I have no real knowledge of the layout and if that's possible).

The brightside is that ESPN wants to put on a good show, and this was not it. I'd expect plenty of positive adjustments for next year's rally competition. I have a feeling that this one was prepared with a lot of folks guessing at how things would work under a lot of pressure to MAKE things work a certain way. I think we now have evidence that's not the best way to operate. I salute the effort, however, and offer my condolences to those involved who now have to suffer the slings and arrows of every b-hole on the internet who has no idea how difficult these things are to stage.

The Super Rally, however, was far more entertaining (except for the errant flag, and the subsequent breakdown of the event). Simple and straightforward. I'm hoping that the success of this format offers some guidance to improving the rally event in the future.

jg

DukeOfUndersteer
8/1/10 10:42 a.m.

im at a total loss. That was an absolute terrible show. The rally was god awful. There was, what, 3 completed races out of all the heats? Im with bigwrench, BRING THE NAVIGATORS BACK! What a pathetic tarmac layout as well.

Then came "Superrally..." Im with JG... WOW. Terrible commentating, terrible camera angles and camera operators, terrible officating. Terrible can best describe the whole event. They had 2, yes, 2 cars going over "The Joker", the whole focus of X Games Rallying, at the same time. We didnt get to see that. Nope, we got to hear Paul Page and Boris Said yelling about it as we watched some pillars.

The had the whole spot light for Rallying in the US on a primetime spot. They blew it!!!

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
8/1/10 3:42 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Also, don't design a possible head-on collision into a racetrack. jg

Seeing that unfold was the worst part for me.

The driver coming down the hill was pretty close to max speed on that course, and the one coming through the bottom of the jump had no idea he was going to be there. Both drivers were pretty much blind at that point. Could have been much worse. I thought Boris Said was about to have heart attack.

If you have to design a crossover like that, ( And to have a car going over the jump and one coming under it in the same shot I guess you have to) my thought is that you have to plan for the possibility of cars going head on and have either an official on the radio or kill switch or red flag to prevent a collision. Not just throw them out there and hope for the best.

What a mess.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
8/1/10 5:58 p.m.

I was in the crowd watching and to be honest, I enjoyed myself. It was the first time I've ever seen rally cars in person. Y'all make good points though; I couldn't figure out the rallycross course for the life of me and I don't think the drivers could either. However, the sound of 4 rally cars all starting up at the same time in that stadium is incredible. All that popping and snarling...

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/1/10 6:34 p.m.

I have worked with Rally America, and I know that they are smarter than this... I hope it all gets fixed next year.

As an aside, I don't know why there is not a second rally event at the Winter X-Games...

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
8/1/10 7:41 p.m.

I almost turned it off when I saw the first near-head on collision. WTF!? Figure out how to make an exciting course in the available space without subjecting the drivers to that kind of danger.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
8/2/10 12:33 a.m.

I missed all the action and hoopla this weekend. Where can I find the footage online?

Clay
Clay Reader
8/2/10 7:29 a.m.

I figured this would be on the board after the weekend. My wife kept laughing at how upset I was getting at the TV. Missing the double jump over the joker, all the drivers getting lost, and the early checkered flag. My DVR cut off right after the finish/victory donut/spin?/Deegan jump and the last thing I heard was the commentator say "I have no idea what's happening." Pretty much summed it up!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/2/10 11:06 a.m.
Clay wrote: I figured this would be on the board after the weekend. My wife kept laughing at how upset I was getting at the TV. Missing the double jump over the joker, all the drivers getting lost, and the early checkered flag. My DVR cut off right after the finish/victory donut/spin?/Deegan jump and the last thing I heard was the commentator say "I have no idea what's happening." Pretty much summed it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iObWEimw-nE

You wanna see two rally cars jump nearly side by side?! YOU GOT IT!

You want to see the full final race as shown by ESPN? Bam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yty1YyUs3GI

DukeOfUndersteer
8/2/10 11:23 a.m.

here is some REAL Rallycross...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhBhclEAiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gu2grFYvz8&feature=related

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HgxPuWoFZ3ZUiL1akqx5pKROQFgx3lnqy8vf33Y6KK5NeWs07abUs1FjWaU8y0Ub