1 2 3 4
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/17/19 12:31 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:
1988RedT2 said:
Mike said:

I have one pack that I bought over ten years ago. It brags that the pink salt is fifteen million years old. Label also says "best by January 2011."

Thank you for making this hilarious observation.  laugh

Edit:  So that E36 M3 is clearly expired.  You reckon it's safe to eat?cheeky

You think that is good, wait til you see this!

It's a rock! It has no genetics to modify. 

Yup.  Non GMO verified.  I wonder how long that verification process took?  Pretty cool that the salt comes from Himalania, wherever that is.frown

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/17/19 2:48 p.m.

It would appear that Himalania is in Las Angeles, surprise surprise :)

https://www.natierra.com/man-behind-the-mission/

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/17/19 3:09 p.m.

I've been to Homer, AK.  And Valdez.

Now, that there Himalayan sea salt, that's the stuff.  Yup, fresh right out of the Himalayan Ocean. 

You know where Mortons gets their salt?  From the ocean.  Tide comes in (San Francisco Bay), fills trays, tide goes out, sun evaporates water leaving SEA SALT in the try, they harvest the SEA SALT. Tide comes in, process repeats. Put it in a round box and call it "salt."  Put it in another round box and call it "sea salt" and charge more for it.

All salt comes from the sea.  It's just a matter of "when."  Million years ago? Yesterday? I mean, what else are you going to use, "factory made salt, made from reacting pure sodium and chloride gas?"

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/17/19 3:17 p.m.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/17/19 3:21 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

It's a rock! It has no genetics to modify. 

I've seen that label show up on all sorts of things that made me laugh - my previous favorite was some sort of newly attempt to breed golf ball sized cherries by crossbreeding a half dozen different stone fruits, and probably then grafting the branches onto a trunk from something else. So you have a blatantly unnatural fruit, just no recombinant DNA. But GMO free salt takes that to a whole new level.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/17/19 3:25 p.m.

Yeah, but what's the fat content in that stuff?  And how many calories?  Any artifical preservatives?  Is it Gluten-Free?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/17/19 3:46 p.m.

Morton also gets salt from the Great Salt Lake. Someone's mining rock salt in Richmond, UT as well. There's also some sort of slurry evaporation process that uses vacuum. It's not all from San Francisco.

The funny thing is watching them dig it up with heavy equipment. At some point, it stops becoming a mineral and becomes food. Where is that line?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/17/19 3:59 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Yeah, but what's the fat content in that stuff?  And how many calories?  Any artifical preservatives?  Is it Gluten-Free?

Asbestos free since 1243!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/17/19 4:33 p.m.
Curtis said:
Woody said:

I like that I am learning stuff about salt. 

From a motorsports forum.

And it’s pink!!

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
10/18/19 9:26 a.m.
slowbird said:

If they used the pink salt to melt ice on the roads, would our cars turn pink when they rust?

No, but our taxes would take a big jump :)

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
10/18/19 9:37 a.m.

Apparently salt is still mined in Kansas!

https://www.underkansas.org/

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/18/19 9:47 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The funny thing is watching them dig it up with heavy equipment. At some point, it stops becoming a mineral and becomes food. Where is that line?

When they put it in a box.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/18/19 11:37 a.m.

Wow.  Am I a genius, or what?

The cheap snow tire thread got me to thinking that if the manufacturer of the Federal Himalaya really wanted to increase sales, they would take advantage of this pink salt fad and make the tires pink, and talk about them being made with real Himalayan pink salt, because everybody knows the best way to get rid of ice and snow is to use salt.  They wouldn't be able to keep them in stock anywhere.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/18/19 11:54 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

They should brand them as snow tires for her and make.them pink. 

Everyone knows that when you make a disposable razor pink "for her" you can get double for it. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
10/18/19 4:49 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Wow.  Am I a genius, or what?

The cheap snow tire thread got me to thinking that if the manufacturer of the Federal Himalaya really wanted to increase sales, they would take advantage of this pink salt fad and make the tires pink, and talk about them being made with real Himalayan pink salt, because everybody knows the best way to get rid of ice and snow is to use salt.  They wouldn't be able to keep them in stock anywhere.

Come up with a way to get the letters "CBD" into the name of an engine oil and people might start changing their oil on schedule.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
10/19/19 12:37 p.m.

Commercial Balanced Diesel oil?  CBD.   Specially formulated and balanced for today's hard-working commercial diesels.

I'd buy it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/19/19 12:44 p.m.

No, it's Comedic Berating Diatribe, where the company spokesperson yells very loudly at you to use their product while making fun of you in a way that is hilarious to other people.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
10/19/19 8:15 p.m.

Pink salt going on the wagyu beef patties tonight. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
10/20/19 9:58 p.m.

There is a great book called...  wait for it... “Salt.”   It is about the significance of salt over time and how it has affected societies.  

A very interesting read. 

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/21/19 1:16 p.m.

MIL gave us a thing of pink himalayan sea salt. Figured it was just another one of her weird new things to try and live her best life or whatever.

Sat in the cupboard for a year until we ran out of sea salt and i had to use it. It did not taste nearly as salty, not sure if just due to sitting or what. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/25/19 1:21 p.m.

Now why is there pink salt in my hand soap?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/25/19 2:19 p.m.

To make it taste better to hand soap enthusiasts, obviously. I mean, if you can't taste the difference you might as well just use the regular iodized salt hand soap.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/25/19 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Because the millennials ate all the tide pods?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/25/19 4:19 p.m.

I can't help but wonder if the geniuses in the marketing department at Dial might have considered that putting the words "Himalayan Salt" on the soap in letters larger than those that proclaim that it is actually "hand soap" could influence a child or mental defective to eat the stuff.

It is a strange place, this world.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
10/25/19 4:30 p.m.
Appleseed said:

NaCl  is  NaCl. 

It's just the flavor of the month like gluten free. 

Edit: if it has impurities, can we just call it what it really is? NaCl + bullE36 M3.

To be fair though some people have to eat gluten free or at least not much gluten.

I like the pink Himalayan salt, it does taste a bit different but I mark that down as not having any iodine in it and it being coarsely ground

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aoEs7zvY32G8Tqe3TORuWK2ebqFCfc5868kzOYO9DseVwQX316YE0HFs7RViiGPz