1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/16/22 10:31 p.m.

Sobering, isn't it? 

Not a close friend but someone I knew through the industry. I'd occasionally see him at SEMA or something like that. 

A few weeks ago, he posted that he was in the hospital with Covid. His wife just shared the news that he has passed.

The word I keep coming back to, for all of this, is sad. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/16/22 10:57 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm so sorry, it never gets easier to hear. 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/16/22 11:12 p.m.

We've lost a couple in the family, but a friend of mine has lost 25.  Let that number sink in.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/16/22 11:24 p.m.

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear it.

Unfortunately, as much as we'd like to be, we're not actually out of the woods just yet.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/16/22 11:25 p.m.

I'm sorry to see this, David. You feel the pain because you're a good person.

I hope you're doing okay.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/16/22 11:26 p.m.

sad

CJ
CJ Dork
3/16/22 11:47 p.m.

A friend of mine is a member of a couple of service clubs (Elks, etc).  He has lost two friends in the last month.  In our area, the mask mandates have been lifted and people look at you like you are nuts if you still wear one....  I still am.

Somehow, I think we will still be talking about this virus and it's variants for quite awhile.

It just doesn't get any easier.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
3/17/22 12:15 a.m.

Couple months ago a neighbor friend died. My next door neighbor was very close to death two years ago and has never recovered, he can't even walk more than about 15-20' now and looks like he's 25 years older. Almost everyone in my neighborhood has had it.  I work at home,  been very cautious and have very little outside contact with people as I've already got enough health issues. So far I'm good.

About a month ago I took a friend to the ER because he was in bad shape (turned out to be a lot of cancer) and the hospital was so full they had patients in the hallways of the non covid section. They kept him in the ER because they couldn't put him into a room for two days. We've got a ways to go here.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/17/22 12:17 a.m.
CJ said:

A friend of mine is a member of a couple of service clubs (Elks, etc).  He has lost two friends in the last month.  In our area, the mask mandates have been lifted and people look at you like you are nuts if you still wear one....  I still am.

Somehow, I think we will still be talking about this virus and it's variants for quite awhile.

It just doesn't get any easier.

Let em look. I still wear mine, too.

Its easy to forget sometimes that the bug is still out there hurting people.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/17/22 12:23 a.m.

David, so sorry to hear. Sending positive thoughts to your acquaintance's family and friends, and hoping that you and yours are taking care of yourselves as needed.

Give your loved ones a squeeze or a phone call, appreciate what we have, and let's all do what we can to crush this thing, even if it seems like a hassle!

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/17/22 2:40 a.m.

I've known quite a few people including an ex wife.

Covid sucks.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
3/17/22 5:51 a.m.

I've lost a few dozen co-workers, but no one I knew personally in a company of over 15k people.   Lost an uncle at 84YO in May 20', my father-in-law at 55YO in September 20', both from COVID-19.  Sorry for your loss, this is difficult for all people in different ways. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/17/22 6:59 a.m.

My condolences, David.  We've been fortunate in our family. We've pretty much all had it, but we're not closely tied to anyone who succumbed.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/17/22 7:00 a.m.

It's a terrible thing.  A coworker died early on, prior to vaccines.  It got my cousin in November.  My sister spent a week in the hospital with it last year but fortunately recovered.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/17/22 7:26 a.m.

My condolences.  Been lucky that despite a good number of them living in a hotspot, I've only lost one family member, fairly early on in this mess.

I agree with CJ and Appleseed regarding masks, I'll continue wearing one and not care what other people think.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/17/22 7:56 a.m.

I'm sorry to hear it sir, we keep getting the feeling we are out of the woods and somehow end up right back where we started.  On the bright side, a number of my close peeps didn't take it seriously until someone they knew passed.  Sadly it was the wakeup call they needed to do the necessary things.  

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/17/22 8:05 a.m.

My condolences. 

I've been lucky in that regard. Everyone in the immediate family has had it without complications. I did have a distant cousin pass, but he was in his late 80s and in very poor health.  

We think my BIL may have come back from China with it just before Thanksgiving 2019. He came home from a factory visit in China with flu-like symptoms that the doctors could not identify. He was as sick as a dog for a month and a half and out of breath for another several months. We were all together for that Thanksgiving so there is a fair chance we all had it then. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/17/22 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

We are wondering the same thing about my wife, in January 2020. The timeline matches up with being around her friend who had tested negative for influenza, but clearly had influenza as the doctors said.  We kind of hope she did have it, because that would mean kiddo has some immunity (born in March). 

My close circle has been OK. No deaths outside of this board. My FIL got it after getting MRSA after a knee surgery. He was fully boosted, which probably saved his life, but it, combined with the MRSA, has kept him in the hospital for quite a while now. He's had some bad symptoms that are matching up with the Multi inflammatory stuff that you hear about. Finally on the mend. 

Once my daughter can get a vaccine, I'll sleep much better. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/17/22 8:31 a.m.

Just had a massive outbreak at a family gathering, I was almost the only person not infected because I kept my mask on. The incredible spread suggests it was the BA.2 subvariant, which has now been found to be 80% more contagious than "original" omicron, making it comfortably the most contagious virus known to science by a wide margin.

I've had a few family members hospitalized but only one dead (directly) from it, he was anti-vax and anti-mask.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/17/22 8:50 a.m.

Sorry to hear that, David.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/17/22 9:10 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Sorry to hear that, David.

This. Death of friends and family is never easy.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/17/22 9:27 a.m.

Thanks for the wishes, but here we are two years in and yet people are still dying from it....

I think I was one of just a few wearing a mask at the supermarket the other day. They even took down those clear guards for the cashiers. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/17/22 9:56 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Thanks for the wishes, but here we are two years in and yet people are still dying from it....

I think I was one of just a few wearing a mask at the supermarket the other day. They even took down those clear guards for the cashiers. 

What makes it so much sadder now is that, at this point, almost all of these deaths are completely unnecessary. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/17/22 10:13 a.m.

That sucks man. When I traveled in the same circles as you it was always good to see familiar faces when you were away from home. Set up the booth, walk around, catch up with folks, grab a beer with them at the hotel later. You aren't trading birthday gifts, but you hit a comforting pattern of extended work friends. And knowing when one won't be at the next show, or ever again sucks.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/17/22 1:34 p.m.
slefain said:

That sucks man. When I traveled in the same circles as you it was always good to see familiar faces when you were away from home. Set up the booth, walk around, catch up with folks, grab a beer with them at the hotel later. You aren't trading birthday gifts, but you hit a comforting pattern of extended work friends. And knowing when one won't be at the next show, or ever again sucks.

This take on it hits harder than I expected.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L8FCuDfcu6q5TJNT7zpi2gk7cBhySSeHRST4IsrczwC0fL8553MV2TIXE3DBnTXF