1 2 3 4
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/18 5:47 p.m.

Check out govdeals.com in your area. Trucks often come up for cheap. As long as its not a police SUV. Those things go for stupid money.

Brokeback (Matt)
Brokeback (Matt) Reader
8/20/18 6:00 p.m.

Not cheap, but cool!  I'll pick you up at the airport in Phoenix and we can go check it out :-) 

https://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/d/mazda-bongo-van-4wd-turbo/6646013194.html

But seriously, I agree - seems like if it's running and has functioning AC, Heat, and radio , its $3k.  4x4 adds another $1k, and it could still have 200k+ miles on it. 

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
8/20/18 7:24 p.m.

Would something like a Tahoe/Durango work for you? Even purchasing a small utility trailer, you'd likely save money over the pickup.  Can't get the manual, though...

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
8/20/18 7:55 p.m.

Curtis, I know of a late 90's F250 forsale in B-more has 4wd with a 5.8 L auto, not a bad looking truck inside and out. He is asking$4500 for it. 

Paul B

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/20/18 10:48 p.m.

Just proves that people want small trucks again. The new ones have gotten huge!

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/21/18 6:55 a.m.
dj06482 said:

Would something like a Tahoe/Durango work for you? Even purchasing a small utility trailer, you'd likely save money over the pickup.  Can't get the manual, though...

Not really.  Maximum exterior size for minimum cargo space.  Its one of the reasons I love vans; for the same overall length as a reg cab long bed, you get 12' of wide open cargo area.  With a compact truck I was thinking I still get the utility of a bed, and any long lumber could go on a lumber rack.

I need the absolute maximum cargo area in the smallest, DD-friendly footprint.  I hear all the time about how someone fit two couches in their Scion, and "its bigger inside than it looks."  That's great if you are hauling a couch once every 5 years and need to make it work, but I use a truck/van as a truck/van nearly every day; engines, fridges, lumber, furniture, road crates full of lights and sound and musical equipment, etc.  I need to load and go.  Not, step one: fold down rear seat, step two: remove third row seat, step three: find tie down points, step four: get a home equity loan so you can afford gas, step five: try not to worry about the carpet you just ripped or the oil stain from the transmission you just hauled....  I need to set it in the bed, throw a rope around it, and go.

To get the same cargo space as a shorty cargo van in an SUV, I would be looking at a Suburban/Excursion at least, and that is just overkill for my needs.  At least a compact pickup has a 6 foot bed, I can put a lumber rack on it, and I have vertical space to work with as well.

TL;DR:  I work for a theater, I am a member of two hunting/fishing camps that require light off-roading to get to, and I tow a boat that weighs about 3500 lbs.  Haul stuff, crawl some muddy/rocky mountain logging roads, tow a boat.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/21/18 6:56 a.m.
Donebrokeit said:

Curtis, I know of a late 90's F250 forsale in B-more has 4wd with a 5.8 L auto, not a bad looking truck inside and out. He is asking$4500 for it. 

Paul B

Just sold my 02 F150 to go smaller and slightly better fuel economy, but thanks for the heads up.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/21/18 7:41 a.m.

unfortunately Curtis, you have two choices. A truck or a van. Have you considered a mid-sized SUV with a trailer for hauling your theater gear? Don't laugh, I worked for a successful rental house that went for years towing a big open trailer for deliveries until an accident finally forced the owner's hand into leasing a real box truck.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/21/18 8:10 a.m.

Yup.  I'm looking for a truck or a van.

I haven't considered an SUV and trailer.  I don't have a place on my property for a trailer, the theater can't afford one (along with the additional liability insurance, registration, etc), and I just don't see the allure of the SUV.  I find SUVs to be a sure-fire way to get all the things I don't want.  They maximize footprint and sacrifice cargo space... especially vertically

NoMini
NoMini PowerDork
8/21/18 8:17 a.m.

Ford Transit Connect? 

Small footprint, economical, cargo hold. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
8/21/18 8:27 a.m.

So you have to use your own personal vehicle for theater work?  I'd be asking them to provide a van/truck for you

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/21/18 8:30 a.m.
mad_machine said:

Just proves that people want small trucks again. The new ones have gotten huge!

I think the number of people that want them has probably stayed the same.  It's just that the old ones are wearing out, so the supply is getting smaller.  Hopefully someone will start selling new small trucks again.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
8/23/18 7:02 a.m.

V6 Rav4 has very decent cargo space, makes a great daily, and has a 3500lb tow capacity with the tow package.  Can also be lifted slightly with aftermarket springs.  I threw a hitch on our Rav4 (to tow my HF utility trailer), and was able to eliminate our '06 Ram quad cab from the fleet a few years ago.  The only time I've missed it is when I've needed to tow a real load.  In that case (rented backhoe from HD), I rented the truck from HD to tow it.

A minivan sounds ideal, except for the minor off roading part of your requirements.

I think the best value option is SUV + trailer.  Trucks are still stupid expensive these days.  The lower lift in height of the trailer is a bonus over the truck, as well.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/23/18 9:43 a.m.

I'm selling my rust free CO sourced  2000 Mitsubishi Montero(full size) with 165k for $5000. Triple locked, ultra low range gears, lift kit, 31" tires, ARB front brush guard,snorkel, manual hubs, etc. It's not a truck, but it's clean, and well built.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/23/18 9:56 a.m.
NoMini said:

Ford Transit Connect? 

Can I find one affordable and AWD?

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/23/18 10:00 a.m.
docwyte said:

So you have to use your own personal vehicle for theater work?  I'd be asking them to provide a van/truck for you

I choose to.  It's a small non-profit theater, I live a half mile from Home Depot and Lowes, and its no extra mileage. I can have either one deliver stuff, but its $75.  We used to have a truck, but the budget is ridiculously thin.  If it needed a repair, it might be months until it got fixed, commercial insurance is expensive, and it was deemed to be more expensive than delivery.

They are also very aware and thankful at how much I save them.  The boss will occasionally tell me to use the theater card to fill the tank, or I'll use the shop and materials for my own personal projects, so it evens out.  I feel well compensated for it and they're thankful that I save them money.

NoMini
NoMini PowerDork
8/23/18 10:02 a.m.
Curtis said:
NoMini said:

Ford Transit Connect? 

Can I find one affordable and AWD?

Shoot  I forgot about the hunting /off road requirements. Carry on  

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
8/23/18 3:35 p.m.

Is it because the primary market has become so crossover-oriented over the past 5 years that not enough other vehicles got made to satisfy the secondary market that hates crossovers but likes everything else?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/23/18 3:43 p.m.

Might be a spot for the Ridgeline. 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
8/23/18 5:44 p.m.

Retired F350 based box ambulance with a 7.3 powerstroke? I know of one available in Harford county for $4500. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/23/18 7:20 p.m.
captdownshift said:

Retired F350 based box ambulance with a 7.3 powerstroke? I know of one available in Harford county for $4500. 

Hmmm... 4x4?  Might be interested.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
8/24/18 6:18 a.m.

Yes it's a 4x4

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
8/24/18 9:39 a.m.

Something like that around here would have huge Brutus Buckeyes painted on the sides

MrSmokey
MrSmokey New Reader
8/24/18 1:13 p.m.
Curtis said:
1988RedT2 said:
Curtis said:

Maybe time for a van again.  

Or a minivan!  Everybody seems to hate minivans, in spite of their position at the pinnacle of automotive evolution.  Extreme utility, car-like driving dynamics, and rugged good looks. 

Unlike popular but miserably impractical small trucks, used minivans are plentiful and attractively priced. cool

Meh... I don't hate minivans, just strongly dislike them.

I need 4wd or AWD... which I can get in a minivan, but not the ground clearance.  I do some light off-roading getting in and out of camp.  Minivan won't cut it.  I just like the idea of a frame so I feel less guilty beating the snot out of it.

I could never feel guilty for beating the snot out of a mini vancheeky

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/24/18 6:44 p.m.
captdownshift said:

Yes it's a 4x4

I would be interested, but unfortunately it's not a powerstroke.  It may be a 7.3, but the direct-injected, turbo 'stroke didn't come around until 94-1/2.  The IDI diesel is a bit of a dog.  Runs forever, but very slowly and with lots of smoke.

Although... 

Tell me more about it? (he says sheepishly)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QW4EM4oTHm3OlqIHtaZRkoaaaHANHk1DwbApRSyHigKPa7VQs2Njvm4PxvGFwXP6