2 3 4
Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/27/18 9:50 p.m.
spitfirebill said:
Curtis said:

So I called him and offered $4000 without fixing the 4x4 (since I know its probably just an actuator motor).  He said $4200 is the best he can do.

Why am I so trepidatious?  Should I go get it?

Is that an R12 or R134a AC system.  

93-94 was the switch to 134.  I checked the valves and the compressor to make sure

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/27/18 10:05 p.m.
Antihero said:
Curtis said:

So I called him and offered $4000 without fixing the 4x4 (since I know its probably just an actuator motor).  He said $4200 is the best he can do.

Why am I so trepidatious?  Should I go get it?

4200 sounds high to me but really....we are talking only another $200. If you like it, go for it.

Or wait him out, the 4wd system doesnt work, and while it may be an actuator, it could be more severe. Most normal people wont want it because of that

It is high, but my next best option is an 02 Ranger with 106k for $8400 or a Tacoma with 160k for $10,900

Even if the transfer case is trashed, it doesn't represent much money to fix it.  I already priced a used transfer case with a warranty for $200, or I could rebuild this one.  I would wait him out, but it's a small used car lot filled with really high mileage junk, so I think "my" truck will be the first to go.  Its the cheapest and lowest mileage truck on the lot.  I can't bank on the fact that it's old and just hope that no one snatches it up.  He's also planning on fixing the 4x4 and then raising the price.

So frustrating.  It boils down to the fact that I found the truck I wanted and my keen negotiating skills are failing me at getting the price I want.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
8/27/18 10:47 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Show up, in person, with four grand. Money talks, not phone calls. wink

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/27/18 10:50 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

In reply to Curtis :

Preach.

The F150 that I just sold... when I bought it, it was advertised at $8000.  I test drove it and put $4500 cash on his desk and he took it.

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
8/28/18 1:26 a.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

In reply to Curtis :

Eh.....or he could be offended and wont sell to you at all. People are weird

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/28/18 7:08 a.m.

If it’s the cheapest and lowest mileage, have you pulled a car fax, to be sure the odometer reading is right?

Im assuming it’s good, and the price is because 4x4 isn’t working, but I’d also be a bit paranoid.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/28/18 9:11 a.m.

I stopped doing carfaxes when I learned how inaccurate they can be.  I trust my eyes.  

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/28/18 10:45 a.m.

Anyone want to take me to York to pick up a truck?  (kidding, sort of)

He just called back and said $4100.  I think I'll bite.  I did a bunch of free vin checks to find one that would give me mileage and I found one vin check that agreed with the title and the odometer.  That isn't proof, but I think it's close enough.  He also said he will pull a carfax for me.

If I get it, I'll have to take some photos of just how rust-free this thing is.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
8/28/18 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

If I were in town I would, but I'm in NC until Saturday. If you still need a ride come Sunday or Monday, hit me up.

This is at Ricke Bros? I looked at a Taco there 2 or 3 years ago. Nice truck, drove well, but the frame was a bit crusty and they wouldn't budge much on the price, which was at least double the Forzda.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/28/18 8:29 p.m.

Yes, Ricke Brothers.  Thanks for the offer.  Mom and Dad drove me down.  He had printed out the Carfax for me and not only was it a straight deal, but the Carfax had two pages of maintenance reports from a local Ford dealer.  Somebody loved it.

For better or worse I bought it.  Drives great.  Cold AC, everything works except the 4x4.

And I forgot how much I like the M5OD trans.  Now off to daydream about mods that I will likely never do. :)

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
8/28/18 8:44 p.m.

Congratulations. I’m glad you didn’t miss it over a couple hundred bucks. 

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
8/28/18 8:54 p.m.

Funny, ive never really heard anyone that really likes the m50d

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/29/18 7:39 a.m.
Curtis said:

I stopped doing carfaxes when I learned how inaccurate they can be.  I trust my eyes.  

Carfaxes only matter when you want to sell, the great unwashed masses still put a lot of faith in them.  

Totally agree that for the most part they are nothing more than fancy toilet paper.  

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/29/18 2:11 p.m.
Antihero said:

I love them.  They're one of those that gets a bad rap because they develop leaks at a plug and people run them without lube.  Otherwise they are brilliant overkill, shift nicely, and the ratios are spot on for light trucks.  It's also one of the strongest and most rigid cases available with a heavy casting and integral bellhousing.

I keep seeing on the internet that they are weak.  After running transmission shops for 7 years, I can safely say it's a myth.

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
8/29/18 9:21 p.m.
Curtis said:
Antihero said:

I love them.  They're one of those that gets a bad rap because they develop leaks at a plug and people run them without lube.  Otherwise they are brilliant overkill, shift nicely, and the ratios are spot on for light trucks.  It's also one of the strongest and most rigid cases available with a heavy casting and integral bellhousing.

I keep seeing on the internet that they are weak.  After running transmission shops for 7 years, I can safely say it's a myth.

Ive always liked mine in the 91 ranger and agree with what you are saying.

Ill add that i put in some lucas ATF stuff in the case when i added oil and it shifts incredibly smooth now

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
8/29/18 10:46 p.m.

A bit late to the thread, but trucks always seem to cost more than their SUV counterpart.

Inexpensive trucks that run and drive always have some kind of issue. Down here, it is usually high miles, dents, dings, filthy interiors and cracked windshields from getting used as work trucks.

Out of your distance range, but most likely rust free: $2000 4x4 Ranger

How about a $650 2003 Astro 4x4?  You'd want to replace the interior, but again, most likely rust free.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/29/18 11:35 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

That Astro is tempting. smiley

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
8/30/18 4:08 a.m.
Curtis said:
Antihero said:

If you grow tired of the throws, and not really being able to feel where the gears are, Hurst makes a shifter for it.. It shortens throws, and does a much better job at defining where you need to put it to get the proper gear. It feels more like a gated shifter, and gives a satisfying "clink" every time you shift. It makes it feel less like a vague, noodle wrapped in a towel, and more like a reasonably well designed tool. Highly recommend.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/30/18 10:35 a.m.

Awesome.  Thanks for the ideas.  The shifter is definitely on the list.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
8/30/18 10:36 a.m.
Antihero said:

Ill add that i put in some lucas ATF stuff in the case when i added oil and it shifts incredibly smooth now

That stuff is amazing.  I had done the Royal Purple in my E30 and didn't notice any difference. Then I did the Lucas in an A2 Jetta and it made a world of difference.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ziHdNnJQQLalatH8DfxMGBXPgUV86KMQpHHtdtYxXGIhzcPGYvDAarsfsUDmCeSB