1 2 3 4
neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/1/13 12:14 a.m.

I seem to recall a shortage of .22 bricks about 4 years ago.

I love shooting but living in NY means all the fun stuff is off-limits.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/1/13 2:33 a.m.

Literally everything that should be available, is, at my local gun shops. I bought two boxes of 40 cal this week.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
1/1/13 10:13 a.m.

I can still get 338 Lapua locally. Now to cough up the money for one.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
1/1/13 12:57 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I stopped at Cabela's the other day, and the gun department was 5 people deep at the counter. Wow. Man, I should have bought a gun over the summer when I wanted to! Oh well, I have enough 12GA rounds to survive for a while. And I have seen some deals on these:

I'll quote my boss, for it bears repeating: "The can ban all they want, gouge all they want. When the apocalypse comes, just have something. Then you kill whoever shows up at your door, and take their guns!"

I lol'd.

Will
Will Dork
1/1/13 5:18 p.m.

Went to Wal Mart today just for laughs. Plenty of shotgun shells, otherwise they had one box of .40, a little .45, .357, one box of .270 and 3 boxes of .30-06. And what was there was overpriced, IMO.

Not a good time to be looking for ammo.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
1/1/13 5:59 p.m.

I went to get some ammo for my shotgun and the only thing available was winchester universal rounds.It could do the job though for the time being if it came to that.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/1/13 6:38 p.m.

I find it a little disturbing that people are going gun buying crazy when the only real talk on a ban is for assault weapons

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
1/1/13 7:16 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I find it a little disturbing that people are going gun buying crazy when the only real talk on a ban is for assault weapons

I love that the word "assault weapon" is thrown around so loosely.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/1/13 7:33 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I find it a little disturbing that people are going gun buying crazy when the only real talk on a ban is for assault weapons

Unless you live in Illinois and Senate President John Cullerton gets his way.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
1/1/13 7:52 p.m.

1) If you understand that "assault weapon" does not mean "full-auto" or "machine gun", then please tell me what you think the practical difference is between what they are calling "assault weapons" and any common semi-auto rifle that people use for hunting.

2) You haven't read Feinstein's bill. Her bill would ban anything, pistols included, which can accept a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. That would effectively ban all semi-auto pistols and rifles because anything that accepts a magazine can accept an aftermarket magazine of increased capacity.

Also, the people who currently own these banned guns have to go down to the station and be photographed and fingerprinted and put on a registry like a sex offender. Furthermore, these "grandfathered" guns, upon death of the owner, must be forfeited to the government.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
1/1/13 10:10 p.m.

Quick, without google.......tell me what an "assault rifle" is.....

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
1/1/13 10:51 p.m.

Nationally, perhaps. Massachusetts is busy banning... everything, I guess. The latest kills off everything .50cal. So... goodbye .50BMG, .500mag, and .50AE.

I can't imagine that anyone needs .50BMG, .500mag is always overkill unless there's a bear apocalypse, and the Desert Eagle is just silly, but the right to bear arms is the right to bear arms.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
1/2/13 7:30 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote:

I read on a firearms web board that I frequent that the AR weapon (a Bushmaster) was NOT used in New Town. It was in the trunk of his car. Can any one confirm that?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/2/13 7:52 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
DirtyBird222 wrote:
I read on a firearms web board that I frequent that the AR weapon (a Bushmaster) was NOT used in New Town. It was in the trunk of his car. Can any one confirm that?

Possible. If so, it will be under wraps for the duration off the investigation. Likely, the PR for the investigating parties is keeping info as basic as possible. The media is not your friend.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/2/13 7:54 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
DirtyBird222 wrote:

False. It was fired 79 times. He dropped it when a spent cartridge stove piped and he didn't know how to clear the weapon.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/12/robert-farago/sandy-hook-spree-killer-fired-ar-15-79-times-before-stovepipe/

More importantly, "A source close to the investigation says Lanza killed himself within seconds of making eye contact with one of the first responders."

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/2/13 8:47 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
DirtyBird222 wrote:

early reports were that he left the bushmaster in the car, and only carried two or three pistols inside, but it turned out that he had the two pistols and bushmaster inside, and left a 12 gauge shotgun in the car.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/2/13 9:42 a.m.

From reading the comments, the shotgun was found in the trunk, (reportedly) and the rifle was found by the shooters body and was stove-piped. It was misreported first and many gun rights activists are using it as a conspiracy theory claiming that the rifle was in the trunk. I assume this conspiracy was fabricated after bad information was spread, and will be used as a claim that the government planted it to fuel the weapons ban.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/2/13 12:15 p.m.

Just bring back the Brady Bill

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/2/13 12:20 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Violent crime has been on the decline since or before the end of the Brady bill. Do you expect violent crime will decline at a faster rate if it is reinstated?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/2/13 12:22 p.m.

nope.. not at all.. but it was a bill that all sides once agreed on. (not that means anything in todays overly polarized political landscape

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/2/13 12:24 p.m.

I think politicians should be banned. It'll be The Sperlo Bill.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/2/13 12:28 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
1) If you understand that "assault weapon" does not mean "full-auto" or "machine gun", then please tell me what you think the practical difference is between what they are calling "assault weapons" and any common semi-auto rifle that people use for hunting. 2) You haven't read Feinstein's bill. Her bill would ban anything, pistols included, which can accept a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. That would effectively ban all semi-auto pistols and rifles because anything that accepts a magazine can accept an aftermarket magazine of increased capacity. Also, the people who currently own these banned guns have to go down to the station and be photographed and fingerprinted and put on a registry like a sex offender. Furthermore, these "grandfathered" guns, upon death of the owner, must be forfeited to the government.

if that day comes, I won't be a law abiding citizen anymore......

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/2/13 12:30 p.m.

I don;t disagree with you, Sperlo.

The problem we are having now with all the knee jerk reactions to this..

A: it fuels the gun nuts fear that the government is going to ban EVERYTHING

B: It makes passage of anything that even looks like a good bill impossible

I am not against guns.. I own one. I just do not see the need for anybody to own anything that is full auto. Friend of mine who is an avid hunter agrees. The only time he packed anything other than a bolt action was when he went on safari in Africa.. and that was because the wildlife there would kill you just as easily as you would try to kill them

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/2/13 12:37 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I don;t disagree with you, Sperlo. The problem we are having now with all the knee jerk reactions to this.. A: it fuels the gun nuts fear that the government is going to ban EVERYTHING B: It makes passage of anything that even looks like a good bill impossible I am not against guns.. I own one. I just do not see the need for anybody to own anything that is full auto. Friend of mine who is an avid hunter agrees. The only time he packed anything other than a bolt action was when he went on safari in Africa.. and that was because the wildlife there would kill you just as easily as you would try to kill them

none of the bills being talked about have anything to do with full auto guns, those were already banned back in the 30's. people would have you believe that they are just banning so-called "assault weapons" but the reality is they're trying to make the definition so wide as to ban nearly all guns that are not bolt, lever, slide, or pump action.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/2/13 12:42 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Full auto isn't easy to get or cheap.......its mainly a novelty. I believe there isn't a thing wrong with them.

Surprisingly enough, g18's are reasonably accurate in FA......but then again, John Q public cannot own them. Period.

For some reason I think you're confusing the full auto NFA weapons that haven't been used in hardly any crime since the 30's, with the modern semi automatic weapons of today. If this is the case, I am unamused.

Edit:

Strizzo wrote:

none of the bills being talked about have anything to do with full auto guns, those were already banned back in the 30's.

The New Production for civilians was really banned in '86 with the backing of the NRA

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oUdDzc1ysBIYA60NQbhvolv5cBHdVuLG9GbC9PYZvCl6gHLMGD8MYUA5Hyb26NTq