1 2 3
shellb
shellb New Reader
10/2/19 8:12 p.m.

I’m in as well. Loved my Russian Blue named Moscow. Cats are cool. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
10/2/19 8:18 p.m.

So here's the link to the gofundme.  I'm going to call the humane society again tomorrow morning to see if I can arrange something with them, like for her to be released to a vet or something to get her surgery sooner.  I don't like that she's just sitting alone in pain, waiting.  If you guys could share this link all around, I would appreciate it.  I'll keep posting updates often.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/2v22z3-nugget039s-vet-bills?rcid=r01-157006218177-19c5d99f0ab84ffe&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_w

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/2/19 8:27 p.m.

Crossposted to my Bookface, convincing SWMBO to post to her cat groups. It's not much but it's what I can do 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
10/2/19 8:52 p.m.

Thank you

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
10/7/19 9:10 a.m.

Some good news and some bad news.  We were finally able to talk to a manager at the Humane Society so we got some answers.  After their vet looked at Cheesecake's leg, she decided they were not really equipped to handle injuries that severe, so they sent her to one of their rescue partners.  So the good news is she's getting the treatment she needs.  The bad news is, due to Maryland's weird laws and to protect themselves/the animal they do it anonymously.  So I have absolutely no idea where the cat is now.  They said they will pass my contact information along with her and that place may choose to call me as a potential adopter.  I told them to also pass along with my contact information that I would like to make a sizable donation to help offset the cost of the amputation - I figure if a promise of $700+ doesn't get them to call me, nothing will.  So hopefully in a day or two I'll hear from them.  If not, then we have to search every shelter in the state to try to find her.  Fingers crossed.  I'm going to give it a week, and if we can't find her by then, then I'll refund all the gofundme donations and call it a day.  At least she's getting medical treatment, which is good.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/7/19 9:35 a.m.

The local cat cafe gets a fair number of adoptable cats from MD. I'll keep an eye out for her in case the shelter doesn't contact you.

I'll also try to chuck some money  into the gofundme.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
10/7/19 10:28 a.m.

Thank you Tim!  Her name is Cheesecake, pics are in this thread, she'll be missing her right back leg, and is the sweetest cat ever.  We're going to give it a day or two and then start calling places.  I figure there's a good chance they won't list their cats online until after the surgery.  I may contact the humane society again and tell them to pass on an even larger potential donation amount to the rescue partner, as the gofundme increases.  Money talks, and rescue shelters often run on donations, so I can't imagine them wanting to ignore $800.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/7/19 1:11 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

That cute face is hard to forget . I hope she ends up with your family. Our three rescues send good purrs, err, vibes. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
10/9/19 7:19 a.m.

Haven't heard anything yet but she's been gone from the Humane Society's website since at least yesterday, so today I'm going to start contacting all of the rescue organizations I can find in this state.  Fingers crossed I'll be able to find her.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
10/10/19 8:13 a.m.

Been calling and emailing local rescue organizations.  No luck yet, no one has her.  You'd think the promise of $800 would result in a phone call from a place that runs on donations but who knows.  I'm going to search for a week, I figure that's plenty of time for them to call me.  If after a week I still haven't heard anything, I'll refund the gofundme.  At least they told me she was getting the surgery she needed, so that's a positive.  And she's the sweetest cat ever so I can't imagine it would take long for her to get adopted.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
10/16/19 12:30 p.m.

Well, it's been a week and no one has bothered contacting me about Cheesecake.  I've emailed and called a ton of shelters and the few that answered their phones didn't know anything about her and the rest never replied to their emails.  I'm just glad she got the surgery she needed.  I'm sure she'll have a good life, I just wish I could have her!  So today I'll be refunding all the gofundme money.  Thank you very much to those of you that donated and/or shared the gofundme!

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/16/19 1:12 p.m.

Sorry that you can't find her but I'm sure she will get a good home.

You did a good thing man.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/16/19 1:35 p.m.

I don't know where you're located, but I'd try combing Petfinder to see if she's been placed up for adoption yet. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/16/19 1:36 p.m.

Bummer. Here's hoping she finds a good family at least.

Dang, now you've got me searching shelter sites for cats...I love my cat Mushy but I don't know how she'd handle another cat in the house...otherwise I'd probably have 2 or 3! heart

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
10/16/19 1:49 p.m.

It's been quite a ride; I was really hoping for an update. Still, you saved her life, I'm sure. Great work!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/16/19 2:03 p.m.

I just saw your update via gofundme. Sorry that you weren't able to track her down again. I'm still keeping an eye out for her if she shows up at our local cat shelter/cat cafe.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rlr45Z9uEqKsMn0ZMNJkAV0Th5eLsJgEykirKGoboSOeiKNGXa7kWeyIQLo1LHpr